Was this the best gameplan and playcalling combo move of all time?

SenorGato

Well, I disagree, I feel the QB always had the talent but the play calling was sh*tty. Amazing how when the play calling changes the talent responds?

It's not that I don't agree that what you're saying is fundamentally possible, I just disagree with it in this case, for the NY Jets and Mark Sanchez. And I will leave it at that because we will never agree.

Also, Simms was taking shots at the play calling and Dungy and the other NBC guys just explicitly said it was on Schotty. So a lot of people disagree with you.

Well, I disagree, I feel the QB always had the talent but the play calling was sh*tty. Amazing how when the play calling changes the talent responds?

It's not that I don't agree that what you're saying is fundamentally possible, I just disagree with it in this case, for the NY Jets and Mark Sanchez. And I will leave it at that because we will never agree.

Also, Simms was taking shots at the play calling and Dungy and the other NBC guys just explicitly said it was on Schotty. So a lot of people disagree with you.

Agreed. Too much bs last week.. just had to play.

After that 3rd and 12 call in the first half I was about 10 minutes away from hiring a nut-punching midget to ambush Schott with a barrage of sack attacks before next Sunday. He's lucky he smartened up at halftime.

That and pulling Sanchez for Smith when the passing game was starting to hit their rhythm. The guy still had bouts of retardation in the first half, but thankfully he got his sh*t together.

What say you? It's crazy how much better the offense looks when the QB doesn't play like crap, right?

Edit: Lol @ the apologies to Sanchez thread.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's amazing how the QB doesn't play like crap when the offensive play-calling actually gives him and the offense an opportunity to produce. If you didn't see a difference in play-calling between the two games, then I have no idea what to tell you, other than to just laugh. But then it at least explains a lot about your arguments last week.

I would say the majority disagrees with him. Maybe the vast majority. I can live with two or three bad calls per game.

What say you? It's crazy how much better the offense looks when the QB doesn't play like crap, right?

It's also amazing how much better the QB plays when the head coach strips the offensive playbook of all the sh*t he doesn't like... and their is a clear cut game plan designed to exploit something the opponent doesn't do well.

Yes. Sanchez was absurdly better this week... but so was the entire approach.

It was very evident that the plan was to attack the aggressive, but young, corners in the NE secondary... and it was a good plan. Unlike last week when it looked as though there was a completely scripted plan that did not consider the opponents weaknesses, rather just a rundown of all the over-complicated plays in the playbook. I noticed that there weren't nearly as many pre-snap motions as well.

Rhythm is a funny thing. Good execution can establish rhythm as you correctly insinuate, as can the scheme and sequencing of play calls. If Schotty keeps the offense normal like we saw tonight, then I think this team can excel... and I am happy to root him on. If he reverts to his Annexation of Puerto Rico bullsh*t... then he will continue to be the object of much scorn.

Also... how nice was it that we didn't open the game with a ******* reverse to Braylon Edwards? And that we didn't predictably run on every 1st and 10. Phew.

It's also amazing how much better the QB plays when the head coach strips the offensive playbook of all the sh*t he doesn't like.

I was going to call someone saying this in the original post. Instead I left it and went running. All credit to Rex the Savior!

Why don't you guys just admit that Schotty has only the smallest chance in hell of convincing most of you that he's probably a good coach? It'd be a helluvalot more honest than simply handing the credit to the head coach and quarterback every single time the Jets offense has a good game and then laying everything on the OC come loss time.

Actually...don't admit anything. This thread will go nowhere anyway. Plus, no one here would ever actually admit that.

Apologies to Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan for ever doubting your offensive genius.

Good execution can establish rhythm as you correctly insinuate, as can the scheme and sequencing of play calls.

Just to touch one more thing...order of importance here...

1. Execution

2. Scheme

3. sequence

When an offense is rolling almost anything can work. For an offense to roll it must execute. They pulled that off today. Good for them.

It's also amazing how much better the QB plays when the head coach strips the offensive playbook of all the sh*t he doesn't like... and their is a clear cut game plan designed to exploit something the opponent doesn't do well.

Yes. Sanchez was absurdly better this week... but so was the entire approach.

It was very evident that the plan was to attack the aggressive, but young, corners in the NE secondary... and it was a good plan. Unlike last week when it looked as though there was a completely scripted plan that did not consider the opponents weaknesses, rather just a rundown of all the over-complicated plays in the playbook. I noticed that there weren't nearly as many pre-snap motions as well.

Rhythm is a funny thing. Good execution can establish rhythm as you correctly insinuate, as can the scheme and sequencing of play calls. If Schotty keeps the offense normal like we saw tonight, then I think this team can excel... and I am happy to root him on. If he reverts to his Annexation of Puerto Rico bullsh*t... then he will continue to be the object of much scorn.

Also... how nice was it that we didn't open the game with a ******* reverse to Braylon Edwards? And that we didn't predictably run on every 1st and 10. Phew.

The quoted paragraph says it all. Rhythm was the one word I used the entire game when talking about the offense, and it's Schotty's biggest problem. He almost ****ed it up again. The offense was moving great and he pulls Sanchez out of the game for a ******* gimmick play. Horrendous decision that just shows how little of a feel he has. Thankfully Sanchez came back in and was unphased by it, but things like that can certainly mess up your rhythm.

I was going to call someone saying this in the original post. Instead I left it and went running. All credit to Rex the Savior!

Why don't you guys just admit that Schotty has only the smallest chance in hell of convincing most of you that he's probably a good coach? It'd be a helluvalot more honest than simply handing the credit to the head coach and quarterback every single time the Jets offense has a good game and then laying everything on the OC come loss time.

Actually...don't admit anything. This thread will go nowhere anyway. Plus, no one here would ever actually admit that.

Apologies to Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan for ever doubting your offensive genius.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? You're crying how everyone else won't admit they are wrong to you? Crazy thought, maybe it's because instead of one person being right and everyone else being wrong, it's just that one person who needs to grow up and admit he's wrong. When everyone is against you, more often than not there's a very good reason for that, so the question is whether you're either too stubborn to admit it or not smart enough to realize it.

Oh so maybe that's where we differ...I think it's impossible to build rhythm without execution...and the better the D the harder it is to execute and create rhythm. Even then...rhythm ends up leaning towards yet another buzzword...most games are decided by a big play here or there...very, very few offenses are in rhythm for 60 minutes week in and week out...the exceptions that I've seen being the '07 Patriots (which our D actually took out of rhythm but couldn't beat) and the '05 Colts.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? You're crying how everyone else won't admit they are wrong to you?

I'm not crying. I just want to see a similar but opposite ridiculous overreaction towards the OC from the one everyone was so happy to give last week. It only seems fair.

He PROVED the playoff offense wasn't just pure luck!!!111

I believe Aten put it best...I know enough to know I know nothing. I'm just calling it as I sees it. I mean really...the QB goes 21/30 with 3 TDs and no INTs...but there's still the first half offense and one play where Brad Smith came in to complain about...if you're looking for perfect then you going to have to wait for the day Sanchez is a true franchise QB.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? You're crying how everyone else won't admit they are wrong to you? Crazy thought, maybe it's because instead of one person being right and everyone else being wrong, it's just that one person who needs to grow up and admit he's wrong. When everyone is against you, more often than not there's a very good reason for that, so the question is whether you're either too stubborn to admit it or not smart enough to realize it.

This. I'll give credit where credit is due and Schotty called a good game today and has had very good gameplans in the past. But he's wildly inconsistent and his play selection is retarded at times. Not accepting this fact just makes you contrary just for the sake of being contrary.

Not challenging the secondary last week was pathetic. That's on BOTH Mark and Schotty.

Gato, you are way off dude.

This was a totally different Schotty. There was no where near as much shifting before the snap bullsh*t. Very few empty back sets. He was throwing on first, 2nd and 3rd. A bunch of play actions. Down field routes. Screens. And dump off bail outs.

This was a totally different game. Not even close.

It's also amazing how much better the QB plays when the head coach strips the offensive playbook of all the sh*t he doesn't like...

Come on...

The pats defense is middle of the pack, the Ravens are one of the best.. end of story

Will give credit to passing more on first and second down, but I think that's Rex correcting his mistake more then anything...

Gato, you are way off dude.

This was a totally different Schotty. There was no where near as much shifting before the snap bullsh*t. Very few empty back sets. He was throwing on first, 2nd and 3rd. A bunch of play actions. Down field routes. Screens. And dump off bail outs.

This was a totally different game. Not even close.

When I saw that early slant to Braylon Edwards, that's when I knew that somebody spanked Schottenheimer's pee-pee pretty hard to make some serious changes.

When I saw that early slant to Braylon Edwards, that's when I knew that somebody spanked Schottenheimer's pee-pee pretty hard to make some serious changes.

That and the play actions made me realize we were into something different.

He was running play actions with Hunter in the game as an eligible receiver. That sh*t is 95% a run with Schotty and we threw it in that set more than we ran it.

Thats when I realized my premonition in "the pig is ripe for the slaughter part 2" was right.

Come on...

The pats defense is middle of the pack, the Ravens are one of the best.. end of story

Will give credit to passing more on first and second down, but I think that's Rex correcting his mistake more then anything...

The play calling today was excellent.

After Cromartie's pick on the 3 yard line, the 3rd down bootleg left was brilliant.

Sanchez could have run for 10, flipped it to Richardson for 15 or hit Keller downfield like he did.

Jets ran plays the Pats were not expecting.

When you then execute those plays, like the Jets did in the 2nd half, those are the results you will see.

One thing that still needs improvement is the 2 minute drill. We hemorrhage valuable seconds in between plays. Does anyone else feel that way?

Agreed. I said it in the game thread when at one point the Jets start rushing to the line and then after a few seconds, finally call a timeout. Complete waste. Then there was the play where it took like 5 seconds for the offense to get set, and even Simms was making comments about it at that point. I also have no idea WTF Schotty thinks when he puts any motion into those plays, because whether you like that stuff or not normally, at that point there's no time for that crap.

After Cromartie's pick on the 3 yard line, the 3rd down bootleg left was brilliant.

Sanchez could have run for 10, flipped it to Richardson for 15 or hit Keller downfield like he did.

When you then execute those plays, like the Jets did in the 2nd half, those are the results you will see.

1 call the really fooled them.

We executed better, weren't as predictable and facing a defense that's not that good.

He PROVED the playoff offense wasn't just pure luck!!!111

Nobody is saying it was luck.

Most of us understand that the playoff run offense was a product of the running game (architected by Callahan), the defense and Rex steering Schotty away from all of the over-complicated stuff since mid-season. You don't.

You've exhausted quite a bit of energy trying to prove a moot point for the past week. You chide us all for over-reacting to one game's worth of bad play... yet here you are over-reacting to one game's worth of good play. :rolleyes:

You have it completely backwards. At least in the case of the Jets. When the OC takes off his dress and puts on a pair of pants, it is crazy how a talented first round draft pick QB can then succeed. How is a QB supposed to succeed against the Ravens, when the Jets threw 2 passes on first down the first 58 minutes of the game? This, against probably the strongest run defense in the NFL and playing without its HOF safety and a starting CB. That is pure insanity amd has nothing to do with execution. It is like a retard who keeps trying to turn the handle of a locked door.

I'll give Shotty credit - for this game. Great gameplan and great playcalling. So he is cabable of doing it. Maybe he is not the idiot I always call him. But there is no doubt that for four plus years, with the exception of 11 games when Favre told him to go make coffee while he ran the Green Bay offense, he is a coward who coaches scared. Somebody, I assume Rex, kicked his a$$ this week and if he keeps this up we will have a good season and find out we have a franchise QB.

I was also very happy to see them pick on Butler , normally they just run the offense without seeming to attempt to exploit any match-ups

they were avoiding mccourty, nice pick there

Nobody is saying it was luck.

Most of us understand that the playoff run offense was a product of the running game (architected by Callahan), the defense and Rex steering Schotty away from all of the over-complicated stuff since mid-season. You don't.

You've exhausted quite a bit of energy trying to prove a moot point for the past week. You chide us all for over-reacting to one game's worth of bad play... yet here you are over-reacting to one game's worth of good play. :rolleyes:

Oh wow...F*ck me...and you're being serious? And this is a common belief you say? So wtf does Schottenheimer do if he's only involved when we're losing?

Edit before the edit:

I'm not overreacting to anything. This was the best game plan and playcalling combo in single game history. A good show! There was so much rhythm, so much aggression, so many points that we won the match! Huzzah, 'til next time!

Edit:

You chide us all for over-reacting to one game's worth of bad play

Either this is an aha! moment or you simply forgot to add "calling" to the end of play.

[/quote

Execute those plays, like the Jets did in the 2nd half, those are the results you will see.

He called the right stuff at the right time tonight. And its not like he's never called good plays or put a decent game plan together. It's just not been often.

Schotty just called, Gato - he's ready for you to blow him and knows you're dying to.

I'm hoping we can put a few weeks of this type of offense together and if we do I'll feel much better about our OC.

Rex has no background in offense as a coach or even as a player. But every time he involves himself with the offensive game plan the offense does better. So a guy with no experience can improve on the work of a guy who played QB in college and has been coaching offense his whole adult life. That doesn't make Schotty look good.

Come on...

You and your f*ckin...sensibility.

Rex has no background in offense as a coach or even as a player. But every time he involves himself with the offensive game plan the offense does better. So a guy with no experience can improve on the work of a guy who played QB in college and has been coaching offense his whole adult life. That doesn't make Schotty look good.

Nothing makes Schotty look good, even that devastating gameplan/playcall combo. If we win the Super Bowl this year it'd be in spite of having Schottenheimer even slightly connected to the organization....from what I understand.

Archived