"Free agent Nnamdi Asomugha will end up with the Jets or Packers."

leonwash29

As cool as it would be, I think we have learned that no amount of great DBs will compensate for no pass rush. I'd rather see an OLB or DE that can consistently get to the QB as the next most important piece on this defense. Barring that, a S/LB type that can jam and consistently cover bigger TEs like glue would be nice too.

And honestly, with all the negativity on this board, I think Cro is still one of the top #2 CBs in the league and we're lucky to have him. Anyone rather have Sheppard back?

This. We should 100% concentrate on improving our Dline and finding a pass rusher. At this point, I even think a safety is a nice to have.

Pool has been getting better as the year went on and he played pretty well vs the Colts...especially against the run game. I'm fine with him and Leonhard and as we all know, your secondary always look better with a good pass rush.

If there is any way to sign Asomugha, you do it. Even if it means dumping Revis. Dude is superior.

Revis is younger and in exactly half as many seasons has 20 more passes defensed and 3 more picks than Nnamdi.

I hear a lot of people getting on Revis for not having a pick this year but neither did Nnamdi.

Plus Revis is the better tackler.

Guest Oxoboxo

Revis is younger and in exactly half as many seasons has 20 more passes defensed and 3 more picks than Nnamdi.

I hear a lot of people getting on Revis for not having a pick this year but neither did Nnamdi.

Plus Revis is the better tackler.

You can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better.

But, in reality, Nnamdi is superior.

Guest Oxoboxo

So we can have the best CB tandem of all time. Duh. :rolleyes:

OK.

So, you're demonstrating your lack of undestanding of NFL.

Nothing new for you.

Carry on.

Guest Oxoboxo

Just because I want the Jets to get Aso so they can pair him up with Revis doesn't mean I am under any illusions that it will happen you obnoxiously moronic asshead.

When all else fails, resort to name calling.

Can someone explain to me why it is such a stretch that this can happen? Everything that I have read has led me to believe that Cromartie was likely to be one of the guys we prioritized resigning last year. Would Aso really cost that much more per season than Cromartie? Remember, the previous Aso contract was negotiated by Al Davis, and was widely considered a gross overpayment. Cromartie is younger and can provide his next team kick return ability; I imagine that he would be getting a comparable contract, so if we value Asomugha more than Cromartie why can't this happen?

Can someone explain to me why it is such a stretch that this can happen? Everything that I have read has led me to believe that Cromartie was likely to be one of the guys we prioritized resigning last year. Would Aso really cost that much more per season than Cromartie? Remember, the previous Aso contract was negotiated by Al Davis, and was widely considered a gross overpayment. Cromartie is younger and can provide his next team kick return ability; I imagine that he would be getting a comparable contract, so if we value Asomugha more than Cromartie why can't this happen?

There's a few differences you have to consider which make signing Asomugha much more difficult than retaining Cromartie. First off, I disagree with the premise that Cromartie will get as big of a contract as Asomugha. Cromartie's good, but Asomugha is considered top 2 in the league, and while you can say Davis grossly overpaid him, the Jets just gave Revis a comparable contract, and that's what he's going to be looking for. Cromartie has never shown to be on that level and even though I expect him to pull in a big contract, it's not going to be close to in the $16 million neighborhood. You also discount how much easier it is to retain a player as opposed to signing them in free agency. The Jets would have the opportunity to get a deal done with Cromartie without any competition up until the start of FA, where as the Jets could potentially end up in bidding war with Asomugha and he could easily find another team or contract offer he prefers. By then, it would likely be too late to retain Cromartie, and then you end up with nothing. Lastly, even if the Jets can't come to a deal with Cromartie, there's always the franchise tag, which would allow them to retain him at a number likely lower than the first year of a contract for either of the two of them.

Retaining Cromartie still isn't by an means easy due to the other potential FAs, and the Jets have a lot of their favor in regards to keeping him, so getting Asomugha is only that much more difficult. Is it impossible? I suppose not, but I would consider it HIGHLY unlikely.

There's a few differences you have to consider which make signing Asomugha much more difficult than retaining Cromartie. First off, I disagree with the premise that Cromartie will get as big of a contract as Asomugha. Cromartie's good, but Asomugha is considered top 2 in the league, and while you can say Davis grossly overpaid him, the Jets just gave Revis a comparable contract, and that's what he's going to be looking for. Cromartie has never shown to be on that level and even though I expect him to pull in a big contract, it's not going to be close to in the $16 million neighborhood. You also discount how much easier it is to retain a player as opposed to signing them in free agency. The Jets would have the opportunity to get a deal done with Cromartie without any competition up until the start of FA, where as the Jets could potentially end up in bidding war with Asomugha and he could easily find another team or contract offer he prefers. By then, it would likely be too late to retain Cromartie, and then you end up with nothing. Lastly, even if the Jets can't come to a deal with Cromartie, there's always the franchise tag, which would allow them to retain him at a number likely lower than the first year of a contract for either of the two of them.

Retaining Cromartie still isn't by an means easy due to the other potential FAs, and the Jets have a lot of their favor in regards to keeping him, so getting Asomugha is only that much more difficult. Is it impossible? I suppose not, but I would consider it HIGHLY unlikely.

He is not in Revis' or Aso's class but he is in Samuel and Robinsons class which will cost you 10 mill per. Maybe Aso is willing to take 10 mill per from the Jets instead of 15 per from Cardinals or Texans. But to be negative Aso will probably end up in foxboro next season, the Pats are so far under the cap its rediculous for next season.

Archived