John Fox to coach denver

BroadwayJ667

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/denver-broncos-hire-john-fox/

John Fox will be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos.

Broncos front office boss John Elway announced on Twitter that Fox has agreed to become the 14th head coach in franchise history.

“Coach Fox is a great fit for us not only with his coaching ability but also with his personality,” Elway said. “He is a dynamic and proven leader who will energize our entire organization. John has coached great defenses, turned teams around and been to Super Bowls.”

Fox coached the Carolina Panthers from 2002 through the end of the 2010 season, finishing with a record of 73-71 in the regular season and 5-3 in the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/denver-broncos-hire-john-fox/

John Fox will be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos.

Broncos front office boss John Elway announced on Twitter that Fox has agreed to become the 14th head coach in franchise history.

“Coach Fox is a great fit for us not only with his coaching ability but also with his personality,” Elway said. “He is a dynamic and proven leader who will energize our entire organization. John has coached great defenses, turned teams around and been to Super Bowls.”

Fox coached the Carolina Panthers from 2002 through the end of the 2010 season, finishing with a record of 73-71 in the regular season and 5-3 in the playoffs.

I think Fox is a good coach, and this is a good move by Denver. His time was simply up in Carolina.

HC coup of the offseason.

Meh, they have Orton, Tebow and nothing on the roster out there... How much difference can a coach make, considering you have made it abundantly clear that players make coaches look better, but not the other way around?

Meh, they have Orton, Tebow and nothing on the roster out there... How much difference can a coach make, considering you have made it abundantly clear that players make coaches look better, but not the other way around?

Have I?

Long term success is on the players...but in recent years we've seen examples of 1st year HCs leading their suddenly upstart bunch...McDaniels had the big winning streak in Denver before the predictable collapse...Mangini '06...Schwartz for the Lions this year...it's not definite, but I do think teams generally see a boost in play in the year they hire a new coach.

I've said this before...though I realize no one actually read it.

Have I?

Long term success is on the players...but in recent years we've seen examples of 1st year HCs leading their suddenly upstart bunch...McDaniels had the big winning streak in Denver before the predictable collapse...Mangini '06...Schwartz for the Lions this year...it's not definite, but I do think teams generally see a boost in play in the year they hire a new coach.

I've said this before...though I realize no one actually read it.

Heh.

No, I made it up. You have never made the argument that Schotty doesn't suck, and that its all on the quality of the play of the players, because players executing ultimately determines how good a coach is perceived to be. Not once.

Heh.

No, I made it up. You have never made the argument that Schotty doesn't suck, and that its all on the quality of the play of the players, because players executing ultimately determines how good a coach is perceived to be. Not once.

Well, that's what lumping people into caricatures does. As it turns out, I allow my mind to go further than "Schotty is a good OC."

The argument has been made a million times, and no one here convinced me that he's all that bad.

Bowlen is batsh*t crazy and he proved it again by hiring Elway to run the show; but the Fox hiring is a good move.

Davis is bat sh*t crazy, Bowlen is senile. Seriously. He's on record as saying he's forgotten conversations with FO people, Cutler, Marshall, etc. Senility had to be behind McDumbass signing and Elway wasn't a crazy move as it was utter desperation because Broncos fans were going nuts.

That said, Fox hiring is a good move. BUT, I'm just concerned in general about a coach going from 1 job right to another without recharging the batteries by taking some time off.

Fox is 56, he's had enough time to charge. Guy's a good coach and he held up remarkably well to the criticism in Carolina.

Yes, he's a good coach, but what the heck does being 56 have to do with having enough time to charge? You worry about guys like Fox getting easily burnt out. He just spent 9 yrs with Carolina and now jumps into the Broncos job. He may be done in 3 yrs, not because of the quality of the job he's doing, but because he's spent.

Well, that's what lumping people into caricatures does. As it turns out, I allow my mind to go further than "Schotty is a good OC."

The argument has been made a million times, and no one here convinced me that he's all that bad.

I'm not getting sucked into an argument with you here...

You regularly argue that coaches are non-impactful with their crazy things like scheme and gameplan, and that player execution is completely what drives coach reputation.

My point was how can Jon Fox be such a "steal" as you put it, if he's got a roster full of nobodies to execute for him... but you know what, nevermind. I thought it was a wisecrack that you would get, laugh at and move on... there's isn't even a point to friendly banter with you. You are so full of sh*t all the time, you make it exhausting just to say "how ya doing?"

:blink:

Yes, he's a good coach, but what the heck does being 56 have to do with having enough time to charge? You worry about guys like Fox getting easily burnt out. He just spent 9 yrs with Carolina and now jumps into the Broncos job. He may be done in 3 yrs, not because of the quality of the job he's doing, but because he's spent.

What's there to be burnt out from? The Panthers fell off a cliff when Delhomme fell off a cliff. If Tebow's the real deal then he's got a good start to rebuilding the Broncos.

Also, the guy is young, he was the most well respected non-retired HC on the market, as big a name as he's ever been, and he's proven he's tough enough to handle both winning and losing in Carolina. Why would he hop off that wave to "charge up" for another go 'round? What's he going to do, DC somewhere and take a HC job at 60? Why? What's the point? What's he got left to learn about the game or the HC position?

I'd expect someone like Fisher to take a year off or just straight retire. He's had his job for well over a decade and done an excellent job the whole time. Fox has too much left to do and he's not so young that he has time to sit and ponder after 30+ years of coaching and 9 years of being a head coach.

Archived