Scott wasn't done after his EPIC rant...

ZachEY

From NFL.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Bart Scott unleashed plenty of emotion as his New York Jets ousted the top-seeded New England Patriots from the AFC playoffs.

But more than an hour after the final whistle, after some of the initial reaction had cooled, the veteran linebacker remained passionate about one thing -- defending his coach.

"I love him," Scott said as he walked through the bowels of the stadium toward the bus.

Scott followed Ryan from Baltimore to New York, after the then-Ravens defensive coordinator got the Jets job following the 2008 season.

And he did so on his belief in the coach. It was resolute enough, he says, to steer the Jets through a tumultuous season with a group of players that many believed would be combustible, with controversial talents like Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie coming aboard.

Now, Ryan, Scott and the rest of the Jets have scored wins over Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in consecutive weeks.

"This week was about believing in yourself, and believing in the man next to you, and getting your coach's back, a coach that takes more flack (than he deserves)," Scott said, his voicing rising as he made his way out of the stadium. "I'm so tired of seeing people taking shots at him. It's one thing to criticize his coaching ability, his time management, but when people go at his weight, stupid stuff like that? I've never seen anyone go at Holmgren, never seen anyone go at Romeo Crennel, never seen anyone go at Andy Reid.

"But everyone thinks his weight, and that type of stuff is comical. It's free game. You don't see that on the back page about other people. What part of the game does that have to do with anything? Judge the man by what he does in his profession. I can look at anybody and find something to criticize physically."

Those feelings on Ryan were at the heart of comments Scott made directed at Patriots receiver Wes Welker, after Welker made veiled references to videos that allegedly featured Ryan and his wife, and surfaced in December.

"It was out of character," Scott continued, now on Welker's comments. "That's not what he does. It takes a lot of balls to put that out there. What happens is you put a bull's eye on yourself, everyone wants to see you put your foot in your mouth.

"And now he gets the opportunity to step out of character, tries to be us. There's enough New York Jets in the world, we don't need anyone else trying to copy our blueprint."

Finally, Scott took a look forward while commenting on Tom Brady's penchant on Sunday for seeing a phantom rusher coming.

"It's not the first time we saw him duck," Scott said. "We saw him duck the last time we were here. Ben Roethlisberger is one of the very few brave quarterbacks who'll stand in there and take a bullet for his team."

Roethlisberger's next for Ryan and the Jets.

"It was out of character," Scott continued, now on Welker's comments. "That's not what he does. It takes a lot of balls to put that out there. What happens is you put a bull's eye on yourself, everyone wants to see you put your foot in your mouth.

Pun intended?

I've been on record on this for a long time and those who know me from JI can back me up - The number one reason I was in favor of getting Rex as HC of the NYJ was because I knew Bart Scott would be coming with him.

When Scott was in Baltimore he was, along with Shaun Ellis, one of the most underrated defensive players in the game. Guy was a star waiting for an opportunity to step out of Ray Lewis' shadow and be the man.

The second he signed I bought his jersey. So happy this guy is on this team. He does all the grunt work that no one else wants to do and makes a difference on every play. He demands respect, and if you don't give it to him, he'll kick it out of your a$$ - exactly the type of leader a defense needs.

From NFL.com

Pun intended?

Where can I snag your sig in a file big enough for my desktop?

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Bart Scott unleashed plenty of emotion as his New York Jets ousted the top-seeded New England Patriots from the AFC playoffs.

But more than an hour after the final whistle, after some of the initial reaction had cooled, the veteran linebacker remained passionate about one thing -- defending his coach.

"I love him," Scott said as he walked through the bowels of the stadium toward the bus.

Scott followed Ryan from Baltimore to New York, after the then-Ravens defensive coordinator got the Jets job following the 2008 season.

And he did so on his belief in the coach. It was resolute enough, he says, to steer the Jets through a tumultuous season with a group of players that many believed would be combustible, with controversial talents like Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie coming aboard.

Now, Ryan, Scott and the rest of the Jets have scored wins over Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in consecutive weeks.

"This week was about believing in yourself, and believing in the man next to you, and getting your coach's back, a coach that takes more flack (than he deserves)," Scott said, his voicing rising as he made his way out of the stadium. "I'm so tired of seeing people taking shots at him. It's one thing to criticize his coaching ability, his time management, but when people go at his weight, stupid stuff like that? I've never seen anyone go at Holmgren, never seen anyone go at Romeo Crennel, never seen anyone go at Andy Reid.

"But everyone thinks his weight, and that type of stuff is comical. It's free game. You don't see that on the back page about other people. What part of the game does that have to do with anything? Judge the man by what he does in his profession. I can look at anybody and find something to criticize physically."

Those feelings on Ryan were at the heart of comments Scott made directed at Patriots receiver Wes Welker, after Welker made veiled references to videos that allegedly featured Ryan and his wife, and surfaced in December.

"And now he gets the opportunity to step out of character, tries to be us. There's enough New York Jets in the world, we don't need anyone else trying to copy our blueprint."

Finally, Scott took a look forward while commenting on Tom Brady's penchant on Sunday for seeing a phantom rusher coming.

"It's not the first time we saw him duck," Scott said. "We saw him duck the last time we were here. Ben Roethlisberger is one of the very few brave quarterbacks who'll stand in there and take a bullet for his team."

Roethlisberger's next for Ryan and the Jets.

Great stuff... and glad the stuff I ranted about the other day isn't lost on the players. I really do think Rex gets personally attacked CONSTANTLY in ways NO other coach, or football personality would. Any time the Jets are being discussed, there has to be the obligatory fat joke about Rex. From a bunch of bald, aging, never-won-anything talking heads... unbearable, and quite the double-standard. You never hear them talk about Norv Turner's acne scars, or Belli's homeless wardrobe, or Dungy's Etheopian diet, or Cowher's water-sprinkler mouth... so why attack Rex? Bullsh*t.

So glad it ends today... I can't turn on the television up here today without them talking about the "fat, bloviating, blah, blah, blah, blah... New York Jets." Can't get on Facebook, can't listen to the radio, can't go to the grocery... I feel like a prisoner of delusion.

Calling Rex a "fat" "retard" "jackass" "loudmouth" "jerk" "a$$hole" you name it has been part of the lexicon up here since he said he was not going to kiss BB's rings. These sh*tbag people up here are such a living, breathing contradiction its pathetic.

Note: I believe whole-heartedly that every team has a quotient of assholes that are part of the fan base.

That said... Rex talked trash, by saying he wants to win. Really not a big deal, but "Patriot nation" took offense to it, and has taken offense to it for months... because heaven forbid anyone stake a claim to winning. :rolleyes: The retaliatory banter that has come from New England has been 24/7 obsession with reminding us all how fat Rex is and how big his mouth is, and now, that he has a foot fetish... NONE of this has anything to do with the game or winning. They attack him at a personal level constantly... while he sticks to his "I want to win" dialog.

Then they get on their high horses and pontificate about who has class?

Stop.

Everyone just please STOP. There is nothing classy about any of this back-and-forth, but at least the Jets fans aren't trying to "sell" themselves on the fact that they are inherently better people because of the team they root for. Unreal.

I hate people so much.

This game, on national TV means a ton to this franchise. The way Scott and the rest of the players love Rex is the reason Rex was the #1 coach NFL players want to play for.

This should help the Jets immensely in the off-season. They have a lot of players to re-sign and still need a pass rusher. Let's hope that playing for Rex will get them a discount.

Great stuff... and glad the stuff I ranted about the other day isn't lost on the players. I really do think Rex gets personally attacked CONSTANTLY in ways NO other coach, or football personality would. Any time the Jets are being discussed, there has to be the obligatory fat joke about Rex. From a bunch of bald, aging, never-won-anything talking heads... unbearable, and quite the double-standard. You never hear them talk about Norv Turner's acne scars, or Belli's homeless wardrobe, or Dungy's Etheopian diet, or Cowher's water-sprinkler mouth... so why attack Rex? Bullsh*t.

Cause you don't really see other coaches hold press conferences calling thier brother fat... rex pokes fun at himself and his weight which makes everyone else think it's fair game. Not mention the way he pokes fun at other players or any of the other transgressions.. Rex's persona is that of a clown..

It's great the players rally around it, but I don't see it as something to legitimately get upset about..

Cause you don't really see other coaches hold press conferences calling thier brother fat... rex pokes fun at himself and his weight which makes everyone else think it's fair game. Not mention the way he pokes fun at other players or any of the other transgressions.. Rex's persona is that of a clown..

It's great the players rally around it, but I don't see it as something to legitimately get upset about..

When, exactly has Rex really poked fun at players? Channing Crowder? Crowder shot his mouth off and Rex was simply responding and was clearly joking. Brady? What did Rex say that wasn't true? Brady himself made mention of Belichick giving him extra help in film sessions before the December game.

Sorry, but speaking as someone who is overweight and knows what its like to struggle with, the jokes about Rex have crossed the line.

When, exactly has Rex really poked fun at players? Channing Crowder? Crowder shot his mouth off and Rex was simply responding and was clearly joking. Brady? What did Rex say that wasn't true? Brady himself made mention of Belichick giving him extra help in film sessions before the December game.

Sorry, but speaking as someone who is overweight and knows what its like to struggle with, the jokes about Rex have crossed the line.

Crowder and Brady would be two..

re: the bolded.. So when rex came out with a balloon under his sweater dressed as his brother, you were similiarly offended? If memory servers, you were pretty amused..

Whoa whoa...which player has made a mean spirited fat joke (or any joke) about Rex? I legit don't know since I don't follow the in week headlines so much...I considered the Welker thing more jokey, and thats the only one I can think of hearing.

re: the bolded.. So when rex came out with a balloon under his sweater dressed as his brother, you were similiarly offended? If memory servers, you were pretty amused..

Poking fun at your own brother is one thing. When assheads can't write a game story about the Jets without taking a shot at the guy's weight its quite another.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Rex's weight mentioned in inappropriate circumstances because I've lost count. His weight has absolutely zero effect on his ability to do his job, a job that he is extraordinarily good at I might add, so why is it mentioned when people are ranking coaches or in power rankings, or in game stories?

Poking fun at your own brother is one thing. When assheads can't write a game story about the Jets without taking a shot at the guy's weight its quite another.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Rex's weight mentioned in inappropriate circumstances because I've lost count. His weight has absolutely zero effect on his ability to do his job, a job that he is extraordinarily good at I might add, so why is it mentioned when people are ranking coaches or in power rankings, or in game stories?

no point in debating with a hypocrite

I know, and agree with, what you are saying... however living up here this season, I guess its more about how much of it I hear. It is CONSTANT.

Patriots fans all week, talked not about "keys to winning" but instead about hating Rex, and how fat he is, and how big his mouth is... Not about the game.

I guess, if you think about it... Rex's plan worked. He forced the fans, and other players, maybe even the coaches to take it personal, and the Jets team we saw last night was on a mission and I would say they were the one's that kept their composure best.

Branch talking trash to Rex.

Mankins personal foul.

Wilfork trying to take a cheap shot at Sanchez, which if he didn't wiff probably would have been unsportsmanlike.

Rex reversed the roles yesterday... he had the more composed team... and the Pats got all emo.

Are you kidding now?

Guy jokes with his identical twin brother, and that's akin to being blasted in the media non-stop.

Dude got a lap-band surgery and you know what? Someone aught to say, "Good for him, he just added 10 years to his life".

I'm not all butthurt about it, but Scott is 100% right.

Are you kidding now?

Guy jokes with his identical twin brother, and that's akin to being blasted in the media non-stop.

Dude got a lap-band surgery and you know what? Someone aught to say, "Good for him, he just added 10 years to his life".

I'm not all butthurt about it, but Scott is 100% right.

Not kidding at all. Guy calls himself and his brother fat, calls even more attention to it saying things like "lets get a damn snack" and hoarding M&M's or whatever on hard knocks, and you guys honestly expect his weight to be off limits? He puts it out there. Parcells weight was mentioned, as is reid's.. none of these guys encouraged it the way rex does.

To act all offended about a reporter calling rex fat while laughing with rex as he calls his brother fat is homerifically hypocritical, it just is. Ir memory serves, he even made fun of mangini for his weight loss.. his persona he puts out there is that of a fat clown, whose serious about football.. i don't know what you'd expect in response..

No point in debating someone who does not have any frame of reference in the subject at hand.

Count yourself as lucky that you will never really understand what I am talking about Glenn.

I understand it quite well.. i was the fat kid in school until the summer before 10th grade, and got fat again in college.. and can currently stand to lose about 40lbs.. i've never not had a gut, even in my best shape (which is about 240 at 6'2''. I've always been a "big guy", i just lifted a lot of weights so I carried it well

Not kidding at all. Guy calls himself and his brother fat, calls even more attention to it saying things like "lets get a damn snack" and hoarding M&M's or whatever on hard knocks, and you guys honestly expect his weight to be off limits? He puts it out there. Parcells weight was mentioned, as is reid's.. none of these guys encouraged it the way rex does.

To act all offended about a reporter calling rex fat while laughing with rex as he calls his brother fat is homerifically hypocritical, it just is. Ir memory serves, he even made fun of mangini for his weight loss.. his persona he puts out there is that of a fat clown, whose serious about football.. i don't know what you'd expect in response..

Perhaps the offense is being taken because even in light of Rex doing something only ONE other coach has ever done. People are still inclined to talk about his weight rather than the fact that the NEW YORK JETS have themselves a pretty damn good ball coach?

Perhaps the offense is being taken because even in light of Rex doing something only ONE other coach has ever done. People are still inclined to talk about his weight rather than the fact that the NEW YORK JETS have themselves a pretty damn good ball coach?

I've heard rex referred to as a good coach countless times. they were talking him up pretty greatly yesterday

Archived