The evolution of our run game

JerryK

Why/how do we seem to turn 'magically' into great running team at the last week of the season? Schott starts the season running, we struggle or lose, we hate him, we pass, we make the playoffs, and then we run GREAT. What's up with this?

Do all teams' run games require the season to mature, or are the Jets just unique that our run shows up about week 13?

Or do teams 'hold out' their run game until the end? Is there any reason you dont want rivals to know you're a running team until the season ends? I doubt this though, you wouldn't want to risk losing games by holding out your skillset.

I don't think they ran the ball badly during the season. I think they had some trouble toward the 2/3 mark of the season when Mangold, Woody and Moore were all dinged. I think Mangold only missed one series all season and they scored a TD, but I think his shoulder was a little screwy. Woody sprained his knee, kept playing, it got worse, he had surgery and missed a few games. Hunter took his place and did well, but when Woody came back they demolished the Colts run D. Moore was dinged up a little too. I think now they are pretty healty. They also played a couple of offensive teams with not such hot defenses.

dunno visa, good question. I'm going to rewatch tonight. Actually our run was a bit soft early in the first, but I'm mystified how we seem to become a power team overnight every year.

My theory? Defenses get worn down over the course of a season. Meanwhile, both our backs were fresh and healthy going into the postseason by virtue of the split in carries and lack of injuries over the season (which is rare). Not to mention, the fact that we used our backups in Week 17.

I don't think they ran the ball badly during the season. I think they had some trouble toward the 2/3 mark of the season when Mangold, Woody and Moore were all dinged. I think Mangold only missed one series all season and they scored a TD, but I think his shoulder was a little screwy. Woody sprained his knee, kept playing, it got worse, he had surgery and missed a few games. Hunter took his place and did well, but when Woody came back they demolished the Colts run D. Moore was dinged up a little too. I think now they are pretty healty. They also played a couple of offensive teams with not such hot defenses.

Bottom line is that the Jets running game has been excellent all season. They averaged over 148 yards/game, good for 4th best in the NFL. This isn't something new. I think what you're seeing is added intensity in all phases of the game as the stakes get higher. It's not like the Pats run defense has been bad, either - although the way their offense scores they weren't getting tested much.

Big test this week as Pittsburgh's run defense was the best in the league this year.

Archived