Similar feeling to '98

4HCrew

the reality of this loss really sucks because it is painfully clear that this was a true missed opportunity to compete in and win the Super Bowl. As with the team in 98 I think the Jets had the best team and now we are stuck looking at could haves and should haves. Add to the mix the potential to lose several playmakers to free agency and the loss stings more.

I am proud of what the Jets accomplished this year as they continued to prove that they are resilient bunch that plays hard for their coach. In addition Mark Sanchez is the franchise quarterback that the Jets have desperately been searching for. From there not really sure what else to think because there seems to be so many questions that need to be answered in terms of the roster.

It was a fun ride while it lasted, the reality of it ending sucks.

Wow, I didn't realize Sanchez will turn 36 this year and Rex is in his 60s.

That 98 team was old in key positions. Completely different than the 2010 team. Yes there are FA issues but none are as important as Sanchez' development.

The notion that having to win 3 road playoff games and be an underdog in the AFCCG is the Jets "best chance" is ridiculous.

The notion that having to win 3 road playoff games and be an underdog in the AFCCG is the Jets "best chance" is ridiculous.

not so sure about that. jets have been in 5 AFCCs and hosted only 1 of them: 1968. which is, not coincidentally, the only one they won. i think our future is bright and we'll be in the playoffs 3, probably 4 times in the next 5 years but my point is that opportunities to be 1 game away from the superbowl don't come around very often.

That 98 team was old in key positions. Completely different than the 2010 team. Yes there are FA issues but none are as important as Sanchez' development.

I think I am more focused on the Jets chance of beating the Steelers than anything else. I agree with Sanchez continuing to develop but he alone cannot win a championship. The Jets may have to revamp their entire secondary and could have some serious issues at the wr position.

Just because the Jets made it to back to back AFCCG does not guarantee anything in the future.

sanchez ia all that matters, and he continues to grow up

This.

As Slauson proved this year, we can have continuity on the offensive line. I am confident that won't change anytime soon. RBs are not hard to find, when you've got the Oline. Benjarvis says hello. So does every Broncos RB from the 90's.

Rex seems to be able to get more out of JAGs on defense than anyone I've ever seen. Gholston being the exception.

So I am confident that the Jets will be able to replenish talent annually.

The key is, the QB. For the first time since Vinny Testeverde I don't feel like we "need" a QB at the end of a football season. I think that is part of why I am not having a complete emo breakdown from Sunday. Sanchez played fantastic in that game vs. Pittsburgh no less. He is a gamer.

Sanchez growing at the rate he has, we will get ours.

Our home field isnt a home field anyway. That's being overrated.

It's not overrated. The Jets have to improve at home and then get homefield advantage. Make the other team have to travel. Make the other team have to play extra games.

I think I am more focused on the Jets chance of beating the Steelers than anything else. I agree with Sanchez continuing to develop but he alone cannot win a championship. The Jets may have to revamp their entire secondary and could have some serious issues at the wr position.

Just because the Jets made it to back to back AFCCG does not guarantee anything in the future.

Of course there are no guarantees, but the window with the 98 team was incredibly small because of an old HC and an old QB.

The Jets can beat the Steelers. They've done it before. It's not like they can't do it. Plus, playing at home rather than in Pittsburgh is an advantage.

not so sure about that. jets have been in 5 AFCCs and hosted only 1 of them: 1968. which is, not coincidentally, the only one they won. i think our future is bright and we'll be in the playoffs 3, probably 4 times in the next 5 years but my point is that opportunities to be 1 game away from the superbowl don't come around very often.

We agree, that's why I challenge the view that this was the best shot at going to the SB. Joe Namath had to win only TWO games to be world champ, but since then the Jets had to win 4 playoff games in a row for that to happen. That's incredibly difficult.

Get a bye and play at home. THAT will be the Jets best chance.

We agree, that's why I challenge the view that this was the best shot at going to the SB. Joe Namath had to win only TWO games to be world champ, but since then the Jets had to win 4 playoff games in a row for that to happen. That's incredibly difficult.

Get a bye and play at home. THAT will be the Jets best chance.

the best chance is winning the AFCC, better yet the best chance is being up 40-0 at halftime in the superbowl, better yet the best chance is being in the victory formation with 10 seconds left on the clock during the SB.

Theoretically, having home field is a better chance yes, but it presupposes we make it back anytime soon. that is no guarantee. these past two years might have been our best chance for the next 10... sadly.

Theoretically, having home field is a better chance yes, but it presupposes we make it back anytime soon. that is no guarantee. these past two years might have been our best chance for the next 10... sadly.

This. A thousand times this. Your best chance is getting there and those opportunities are so few and far between. Odds kick in sooner or later and you can only make it to that game so many times.

the best chance is winning the AFCC, better yet the best chance is being up 40-0 at halftime in the superbowl, better yet the best chance is being in the victory formation with 10 seconds left on the clock during the SB.

That can be said of any team. That's sports.

No one is saying there is a guarantee, but it increases the odds.

And, yes, these last 2 years were good chances but the Jets were UNDERDOGS in all 6 postseason games they've played. The odds have been stacked against the Jets the last 2 yrs.

Look at the QBs the Jets have faced in their last 6 playoff games: Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning (twice), Tom Brady, and Big Ben.

When the Giants won the SB in 2007 they faced: Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, and Tom Brady

When the Steelers won the SB in 2005 they faced: Carson Palmer (played 1 snap then was out of the game), Peyton Manning, Jake Plummer, and Matt Hasselback

The Jets had to travel a tougher road than what the Giants and Steelers did. If that's the Jets "best shot" then it simply wasn't meant to be.

I agree, the 98 team was an offensive nightmare for almost all teams to deal with. That defense was middle of the pack. In 98 against the Broncos, we threw everything into the first 30 minutes of football. We had nothing in the second half and that was because of the fact we were playing at mile high. Elway and the Broncos knew this and bent but did not break. Throw in the turn-overs from our offense and we were done. In sunday's matchup against Pitt, there was NO WAY we should have lost to that team. NO WAY. Even given the fact that we spotted them 24...our running game was just gaining momentum which in turn means the Pitt D was starting to break. at 1st and goal we had ZERO business throwing the ball. Given that fact alone, Shott should be told Hey you want to keep your job..from now on you POUND THE BALL.

In the end even though the end results look similar...we lost. Two completely different teams headed in different directions....

I well understand your feelings Tyson, and it sucks to have given the SB chance away. But how many teams in the league this year would have beat the Colts, Patsies, and Steelers in consecutive weeks in their respective homes? I think no team in the NFL does that this year. Thats not a consolation, but a realization - that's who we're competing against and none of them <likely> would have done it. The only thing left to consider is who's going to be a better team next year. With the management and personnel we have, I don't see how we don't get better with a sophomore HC and QB.

I agree that they were both missed oppurtunities. The similarities end there though IMO. The 98 team was older with a smaller window of future success. It was the first time in several seasons we had even made the playoffs. That 98 team breaking our hearts in Denver was a more difficult loss to swallow for me. In part because success had been more lacking in previous years than now, and we blew a lead instead of making a come back. As bad as I felt after that Denver game I think I felt worse the first game of the 99 season vs the Pats when we lost Vinny to a ruptured Achilles tendon. Mirer killed us for half a season and by the time we found a little magic in Lucas the season had been lost. I felt our window as an elite team had closed with that Vinny injury, but I don't get the same feeling at all with the 2011 NY jets where I feel the future is bright with a young franchise QB and a coach that can maximize talent on the defensive side of the ball with aggressive and creative schemes. Our best days are still ahead of us jets fans, take heart in that

the reality of this loss really sucks because it is painfully clear that this was a true missed opportunity to compete in and win the Super Bowl. As with the team in 98 I think the Jets had the best team and now we are stuck looking at could haves and should haves. Add to the mix the potential to lose several playmakers to free agency and the loss stings more.

I am proud of what the Jets accomplished this year as they continued to prove that they are resilient bunch that plays hard for their coach. In addition Mark Sanchez is the franchise quarterback that the Jets have desperately been searching for. From there not really sure what else to think because there seems to be so many questions that need to be answered in terms of the roster.

It was a fun ride while it lasted, the reality of it ending sucks.

If Sanchez gets out of Week 1 next year without his achilles rupturing I'll feel much better.

This.

As Slauson proved this year, we can have continuity on the offensive line. I am confident that won't change anytime soon. RBs are not hard to find, when you've got the Oline. Benjarvis says hello. So does every Broncos RB from the 90's.

Rex seems to be able to get more out of JAGs on defense than anyone I've ever seen. Gholston being the exception.

So I am confident that the Jets will be able to replenish talent annually.

The key is, the QB. For the first time since Vinny Testeverde I don't feel like we "need" a QB at the end of a football season. I think that is part of why I am not having a complete emo breakdown from Sunday. Sanchez played fantastic in that game vs. Pittsburgh no less. He is a gamer.

Sanchez growing at the rate he has, we will get ours.

And the 2000's broncos, i think a pet dog could get 1000 yards behind that o-line

Personally I believe 98 was worse. I beleive overall our 98 team was better, also keep in mind we were winning by 10 at half and if we did not turn over the ball we would have won. Lastly we would have played the Falcons who we killed during the regular season.

This season was awesome and I am crushed cause we should have beat the steelers, but as I see it I would be very worried to play the Packers.

Thinking back, 1998 sucked but I was excited about 1999. THAT was supposed to be our year and it ended in the first quarter of the first game of the season.

So, after Denver I didn't think all was lost. I actually had the "damn, we had our best shot but we're f'd" feeling after losing to the Steelers in 2004.

Chad was hurt and the Jets were set to lose the anchor of their DLine in Ferguson, their young starting RT in McKenzie, and stout backup RB in Jordan. The Jets then went about replacing all these key players by signing older veterans which made zero sense.

Thinking back, 1998 sucked but I was excited about 1999. THAT was supposed to be our year and it ended in the first quarter of the first game of the season.

So, after Denver I didn't think all was lost. I actually had the "damn, we had our best shot but we're f'd" feeling after losing to the Steelers in 2004.

Chad was hurt and the Jets were set to lose the anchor of their DLine in Ferguson, their young starting RT in McKenzie, and stout backup RB in Jordan. The Jets then went about replacing all these key players by signing older veterans which made zero sense.

Terry Bradway is still with the organization fyi.

I agree, the 98 team was an offensive nightmare for almost all teams to deal with. That defense was middle of the pack. In 98 against the Broncos, we threw everything into the first 30 minutes of football. We had nothing in the second half and that was because of the fact we were playing at mile high. Elway and the Broncos knew this and bent but did not break. Throw in the turn-overs from our offense and we were done. In sunday's matchup against Pitt, there was NO WAY we should have lost to that team. NO WAY. Even given the fact that we spotted them 24...our running game was just gaining momentum which in turn means the Pitt D was starting to break. at 1st and goal we had ZERO business throwing the ball. Given that fact alone, Shott should be told Hey you want to keep your job..from now on you POUND THE BALL.

In the end even though the end results look similar...we lost. Two completely different teams headed in different directions....

Very good points! Where we are headed however is tied closely to the front office and their ability to retain and acquire complementary talent to Sanchez and Revis.

[/quote+1 I was going to reply the exact same thing , until I came across your response . Well said . ]

Archived