The Play That Screwed Up the Comeback

Green DNA

Guest Jpf4671

That was big. Of course it wouldn't have come down to that if Wilson caught the ball instead of having it bounce off his facemask.

The Wilson drop was defiantly the worst, if he catches that we could be down a td with 10 minutes left in the THIRD quarter, the whole game plays out differently after that

I'm reading all of this stuff and I can't help but keep thinking about something our old friend Belichick always says "NFL games are not won by a team, they are all lost by the other team" I'm paraphrasing a bit, but you get the point.

Now I know CTM and others were responding to my rant on Sunday by calling me Jetcentric, but you gotta admit the Steeler's really didn't play a good game. They really didn't. In my opinion what it all came down to was that the Jets just played a worse game when compared to a sub par game by the Steelers. Both teams really didn't play well.

For this reason, I stubbornly insist that the Jets beat themselves. Pittsburgh didn't do anything great to beat us. Pittsburgh didn't make us miss tackles, tip the punter, drop interceptions, or call any of the plays on offense that we did.

The Jets did this to themselves. There were so many things that the Jets had to do poorly for Pittsburgh to win that game. Why all of those things happened the way they did may be in relation to what the Steelers did right, but you have to admit, either way it was a tough way for the Jets to lose a game.

I certainly don't think Pittsburgh should be feeling confident going into this Superbowl, by the way they played us. They let a team come back from 24-0 and have a shot to win it. That doesn't bode well for the Steelers offense or defense. Heck, they didn't really dominate Baltimore either. Baltimore kind of lost that game too.

Oh well. The season's over and that's that. I just hope the Jets find a way to learn from the mistakes this year and get better. I think they can.

The Wilson drop was defiantly the worst, if he catches that we could be down a td with 10 minutes left in the THIRD quarter, the whole game plays out differently after that

At the time, a buddy watching the game with me told me to calm down and how it didn't matter because Pittsburgh's punting anyway and it's just a little bit of field position. :bag:

Oh man this loss is more painful than I realized. I cringed (and agreed) with every single post in this thread.

That's what been bothering me about this loss. And this thread brought it all back.

There were so man IF's to this game:

If we showed up in the first half.

If we made one of those gazillion missed tackles.

If the Sanchez fumble was called what it really was, a forward pass.

If the punt was blocked and not called a penalty.

If Kyle Wilson caught a literally in your face interception.

If we ran the ball 4 times in a row on that goal line stand.

If we did not tip the plays.

If the refs were making fair calls.

And even one of those IF's goes our way maybe it a whole different ball game.

an almost 10 minute opening drive by the Steelers......I knew we were in trouble after that.

Pats did the same thing. Were we in trouble then?

Anyone know what percentage of block attempts that actually work out to the amount of roughing the kicker calls per attempt? Sometimes I feel like its not even worth rushing to block the punt. If you want to hurry the punter, great, but the fact that you can touch the guy with the tip of your fingers and it results in a big penalty, just doesn't seem like a good risk/reward scenario.

Now we aren't supposed to try to block punts? This is like the "how can you throw on 3rd and 17" argument. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. The only acceptable outcome is success.

I'm reading all of this stuff and I can't help but keep thinking about something our old friend Belichick always says "NFL games are not won by a team, they are all lost by the other team" I'm paraphrasing a bit, but you get the point.

Now I know CTM and others were responding to my rant on Sunday by calling me Jetcentric, but you gotta admit the Steeler's really didn't play a good game. They really didn't. In my opinion what it all came down to was that the Jets just played a worse game when compared to a sub par game by the Steelers. Both teams really didn't play well.

For this reason, I stubbornly insist that the Jets beat themselves. Pittsburgh didn't do anything great to beat us. Pittsburgh didn't make us miss tackles, tip the punter, drop interceptions, or call any of the plays on offense that we did.

The Jets did this to themselves. There were so many things that the Jets had to do poorly for Pittsburgh to win that game. Why all of those things happened the way they did may be in relation to what the Steelers did right, but you have to admit, either way it was a tough way for the Jets to lose a game.

I certainly don't think Pittsburgh should be feeling confident going into this Superbowl, by the way they played us. They let a team come back from 24-0 and have a shot to win it. That doesn't bode well for the Steelers offense or defense. Heck, they didn't really dominate Baltimore either. Baltimore kind of lost that game too.

Oh well. The season's over and that's that. I just hope the Jets find a way to learn from the mistakes this year and get better. I think they can.

I think you underestimate the Steelers. They are a tough team. The Jets are a tough team. It's not a surprise that they won ugly. Roethlisberger keeps a lot of plays and drives alive. If they had Brady back there they'd have had another 5 sacks easy. Same with Mendenhall. He doesn't look too impresive, but he doesn't go down easy.

dang you dna, I was just startin to heal. #20's drop banged off his fasemask.it hit him before he really saw it. I wish Revis held onto to the one that he timed perfectly but let it slip thru his hands. Man revis is good. Cromarties 2 penalties killed us in the 1st drive. If no hands to the face, then that drive dies & it's a whole different ball game. (huge sigh) I'm still thankful for what the jets gave me this year.

next

The better team doesn't always win. Sometimes the better team comes out flat. Or they have an unlucky day. Or the other team has a chip on their shoulders. Shall we blame Rex for not getting the team motivated after the great win at New England? Three road wins is super tough. Kudos to the Packers for making it.

Unfortunately there are no 2nd chances in the playoffs. No best of 7 series. Here's to hoping The Steelers have a bad day next week.

well, yeah. But the defense getting trampled on the opening possession pretty much set the tone for the entire game.

If you're going to defer on the road, you better get the ball back sooner rather than later. Once Pittsburgh scored that first TD- they were out for blood. The tone for the entire game was set.

Its extremely difficult for an offense, on the road, at Heinz field, to answer the bell there. Maybe unless you have Peyton Manning.

This.

The defense blew it.

In this game, both defenses had the advantage. We had a top 3 run defense, they had an average rush offense. Them running at will in the first half is inexplicable. At hime in the plaoyfs, going up 7-0 with a 9 minute drive makes it nearly impossible for the opposing offense. Particularly with the #1 defense on your side.

We showed some grit and no quit attitude in the second, but it was a mirage. Had that game been closer we wouldn't of moved it up and down the field on them like that.

Archived