2011 Season ticket/Parking Info --LOCKOUT

visajets

Jets adjust ticket prices for 2011, develop contingency plan in case of lockout

Published: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 1:05 PM Updated: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 1:50 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

John O'Boyle / The Star-LedgerOnly 50 percent of season-ticket payments are due until the labor situation is settled and the league announces when training camp will begin in 2011.

The Jets have made adjustments for their 2011 season-ticket pricing, including a contingency plan based on the NFL’s current labor uncertainty.

Ticket prices are going up 2.3 percent on average, Jets executive VP of business operations Matt Higgins said, with personal seat licenses being raised $5 across the board and pricing remaining unchanged in the upper bowl of New Meadowlands Stadium.

With the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players union due to expire March 4, and no new agreement yet in place, the Jets have a contingency plan accounting for the possibility of a lockout.

Instead of 100 percent payment on season tickets due on April 1, as would normally be the case, fans only need to pay 50 percent by that date. The other half of the payment would not be due until a new agreement is reached and the league announces when training camp will begin.

"While we have every reason to believe the season will go forward as planned, we have modified our policies to reflect the uncertainty," Higgins said. "You certainly do a lot of contingency planning you hope will end up in a file in your desk somewhere."

If games are missed, season-ticket prices would be prorated accordingly. But the cost of PSLs -- assigned to every seat in the stadium except the upper bowl for Jets games -- would not be prorated, Higgins said, because that is a fee intended to be paid for the life of the stadium.

The price adjustments for each section are based on an annual evaluation that draws on several factors, which could include pricing on the secondary market and customer feedback. A full pricing map will be posted on the Jets' web site later today.

The upper bowl prices are remaining flat because of fan feedback on improvements that needed to be made. As a result, the Jets, the Giants and the stadium will team to add additional shelter to the upper bowl concourses in the end zone as well as 40 percent more capacity to the men's restrooms in the upper bowl, reconfiguring and adding urinals to relieve long lines.

"We think there are some significant steps we can take to improve the experience, and until we do that, we've decided to hold those prices flat," Higgins said.

In addition, the price of parking in the outer orange lots will be reduced from $25 to $15 for existing season-ticket holders. Fans with seats in the upper bowl will also have the option, on a first-come, first-served basis, to upgrade to vacant spots in the closer yellow lots, costing $25.

"the cost of PSLs -- assigned to every seat in the stadium except the upper bowl for Jets games -- would not be prorated, Higgins said, because that is a fee intended to be paid for the life of the stadium.

If they charge a PSL fee in 2011 and there are no games, defaults will be massive.

well I am glad that only half is due now. I knew they weren't going to collect it all later.

Overall I can't complain very much. Prices raised marginally for in demand seats and unchanged for less desirable seats. Half payment due, and I heard the balance can be paid over a installment plan.

I'm so glad I discontinued my season tix and didn't take the PSL plunge.

So glad.

Because of a 5.00 increase?? The jets just had one of their most exciting and successful seasons ever, with a very promising core group of young players, qb, and coach. I am very happy I took the plunge on 5,000 lower level psls, and even happier that they were cut to $2,500! Obviously it sucks having to pay for something that was free before, but $2,500 per seat for 30 years of something I love is worth it for me, and even more so for a team that is showing such upside. The psl also got me an upgrade from the last seat at the top of the stadium to 30 rows from the field, which in itself was worth the psl fee.

But of course, different strokes....

Because of a 5.00 increase?? The jets just had one of their most exciting and successful seasons ever, with a very promising core group of young players, qb, and coach. I am very happy I took the plunge on 5,000 lower level psls, and even happier that they were cut to $2,500! Obviously it sucks having to pay for something that was free before, but $2,500 per seat for 30 years of something I love is worth it for me, and even more so for a team that is showing such upside. The psl also got me an upgrade from the last seat at the top of the stadium to 30 rows from the field, which in itself was worth the psl fee.

30 years of love is a long time Joe. I heard usually you only pay for love in 30 minute increments. So this was a big step for you, no doubt.

And the actual stadium is a giant block of sh*t.

Jets said $5 dollar increase for non-club seats. No increase for UD but they did say there would be some increases in club seats, wonder how much. Can they really raise the ticket price in the $700 dollar seats. Also Mezz B non-alcohol section is still not sold out, plenty of $2,500 PSLs in that section. Raising ticket prices even $5 bucks in that section is nuts, it is a Mezz B stuck in the corner, can't drink and even though seats left I am sure the best 75% have sold. Paying $125 a ticket there is nuts.

It is pretty apparent that the Jets could care less what the fans think about their pricing schemes. There were several games last year that were not sold out, yet they raised prices this year. If you want to go, shell out the cash..that is the way it is with every sporting event in this country. A large amount of fans will never stop buying tickets, therefore this price gouging will always exist.

5% this year.

Maybe 10% next year.

Maybe 15% year after that.

And there ain't a damn thing you can do about it, including leaving, because you're locked into a contract to pay the full PSL regardless.

Precarius position for someone to put themselves in, but hey, like you said ... different strokes ...

5% this year.

Maybe 10% next year.

And there ain't a damn thing you can do about it, including leaving, because you're locked into a contract to pay the full PSL regardless.

Precarius position for someone to put themsleves in, but hey, like you said ... different strokes ...

+1

5% this year.

Maybe 10% next year.

Precarius position for someone to put themselves in, but hey, like you said ... different strokes ...

im not sure on this but i remember asking this question to a rep who called once and they said they are only allowed to raise ticket prices 3% - 5% each year

im not sure on this but i remember asking this question to a rep who called once and they said they are only allowed to raise ticket prices 3% - 5% each year

I'm not sure if this is true.

When I was going through the process of determining whether or not I wanted to continue with my season tickets and take the PSL plunge, I did ask that question of the Jets. The response I received at the time was that "there was no definitive ceiling on price increases, but that in the past, prices increased by X% and they didn't see increases going past that in the foreseeable future" ... some vague answer like that.

I did check the PSL Agreement posted on the Jets site pertaining to this topic, but I didn't see any language in the agreement identiying a ceiling for annual price increase on tickets.

If anyone has any definitive evidence otherwise of a ceiling, I'd be interested in hearing about, but I haven't seen it up until now.

They said on average around 3-4%. Remember some of that is inflation based. Back when I first started work I used to get 8% raises every year which was not really much of a rise as inflation was higher.

Issue is PSL people are more sticky than UD people. The Jets can get away with jacking it a little more as harder for PSL people to walk away. However, thank God we are not Giants they paid 100% in full for their PSLs, damm Giants could double ticket prices for entire stadium and since stadium is 100% PSL customer has to pay or default on their PSL and Giants can resell the seat.

Since most people put extremely little down, 10% and lots took 15 year financing and some five year financing, Jets can't really get away with jacking PSL ticket prices too high in next five years as they don't want widespread defaults.

I'm not sure if this is true.

When I was going through the process of determining whether or not I wanted to continue with my season tickets and take the PSL plunge, I did ask that question of the Jets. The response I received at the time was that "there was no definitive ceiling on price increases, but that in the past, prices increased by X% and they didn't see increases going past that in the foreseeable future" ... some vague answer like that.

I did check the PSL Agreement posted on the Jets site pertaining to this topic, but I didn't see any language in the agreement identiying a ceiling for annual price increase on tickets.

If anyone has any definitive evidence otherwise of a ceiling, I'd be interested in hearing about, but I haven't seen it up until now.

They said on average around 3-4%. Remember some of that is inflation based. Back when I first started work I used to get 8% raises every year which was not really much of a rise as inflation was higher.

Issue is PSL people are more sticky than UD people. The Jets can get away with jacking it a little more as harder for PSL people to walk away. However, thank God we are not Giants they paid 100% in full for their PSLs, damm Giants could double ticket prices for entire stadium and since stadium is 100% PSL customer has to pay or default on their PSL and Giants can resell the seat.

Since most people put extremely little down, 10% and lots took 15 year financing and some five year financing, Jets can't really get away with jacking PSL ticket prices too high in next five years as they don't want widespread defaults.

I understand they "SAID" 3% to 4%, but the question is "are they limited LEGALLY from raising prices above that within the PSL agreement"?

I don't believe they are, but maybe I'm wrong.

Is there anything in any agreements that people have as a PSL holder that says that they absolutely can NOT raise ticket prices above 3% to 4% every year?

I would be surprised if that were the case.

I understand they "SAID" 3% to 4%, but the question is "are they limited LEGALLY from raising prices above that within the PSL agreement"?

I don't believe they are, but maybe I'm wrong.

Is there anything in any agreements that people have as a PSL holder that says that they absolutely can NOT raise ticket prices above 3% to 4% every year?

I would be surprised if that were the case.

They can raise them 100% a year for 30 years if they want. But if they acted in such bad faith it would make the PSL contract unenforceable in court so they would not be able to chase people for the balance owed. Pretty much for next 5-10 years until PSL balances are paid down it would make bad business sense to do it.

My bigger concern would be something like a "front row" club" in old stadium, raise prices on certain seats within a zone. Lets say row one mezz A, Mezz A corners, Aisle seats towards higher priced section, entire field first three rows. Wow that would be a kick in the pants.

They can raise them 100% a year for 30 years if they want. But if they acted in such bad faith it would make the PSL contract unenforceable in court so they would not be able to chase people for the balance owed. Pretty much for next 5-10 years until PSL balances are paid down it would make bad business sense to do it.

My bigger concern would be something like a "front row" club" in old stadium, raise prices on certain seats within a zone. Lets say row one mezz A, Mezz A corners, Aisle seats towards higher priced section, entire field first three rows. Wow that would be a kick in the pants.

Don't use 100% as an example because that is an unrealistic extreme. But certainly a 10 or 20% increase over 2 or 3 years is not unrealistic in the world of professional sports where salaries and other expenses are out of control.

My original point in this thread was that the PSL contract is a one-sided one because the Jets could, if they wanted to, raise ticket prices annually to make up for shortfalls in cash flow. Someone responded by saying the Jets could NOT do that. I asked for evidence that they couldn't.

Now none of this may be an issue for the independently wealthy PSL holder, but the reality is that there are many PSL holders that don't have extra cash to put into raised ticket prices when they're already shelling out big bucks for PSL's.

It appears that the Jets could (if they wanted to) raise ticket prices significantly enough over the course of 3 or 4 years for someone who has a PSL now to "default" because they can no longer afford the tickets, which was a big factor in me not renewing the season tickets I previously had for 20 years.

I do agree that the Jets wouldn't want to do anything drastic to cause widespread defaults on PSL's. That would be bad business. But what might not be "drastic" to one person might be to another with less means.

All this said, I'll reiterate my original post which was while I don't begrudge or look down on anyone who did take the PSL plunge, I'm glad I did NOT.

Archived