Bob Sanders - set to sign with the Chargers...

yankees2022

An opportunity arises to acquire a player of Bob Sanders calibre and the battle cries come out about his injuries. Yet those same people ignore the fact that Jenkins has been injury prone his entire career here and many want him back. I dont fully understand the double standard being played out here. We have given Jenkins many chances here. Why not give Bob Sanders that one chance?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An opportunity arises to acquire a player of Bob Sanders calibre and the battle cries come out about his injuries. Yet those same people ignore the fact that Jenkins has been injury prone his entire career here and many want him back. I dont fully understand the double standard being played out here. We have given Jenkins many chances here. Why not give Bob Sanders that one chance?

Jenkins is already a NYJ and logged some good games 2 years ago... heck that Texans game when he manhandled the C is enough for most JETS fans to hope he can still play...

Sanders is a safety from an average defense...

Jenkins is already a NYJ and logged some good games 2 years ago... heck that Texans game when he manhandled the C is enough for most JETS fans to hope he can still play...

An average defense that won a Super Bowl he also has won DPOY in 2007.

So, because the defense as a whole is average, Sanders, when healthy, is average?

So, because the defense as a whole is average, Sanders, when healthy, is average?

Sanders was the DPOY 4 freaking years ago. He hasnt played a full season since. he destroyed both his biceps tendons. I dont understand the pom pom waving in here for a player that cannot stay healthy. I understand signing him, but you guys are acting like signing him means he's going to be a beast automatically. 4 YEARS AGO!

He is a big fish in a small pond... on the NYJ he would be an often injured small fish in a big pond... an aging washed up one at that.

I completely understand why JETS fans like and want Jenkins back but don't care about Sanders.

He is a big fish in a small pond... on the NYJ he would be an often injured small fish in a big pond... an aging washed up one at that.

I completely understand why JETS fans like and want Jenkins back but don't care about Sanders.

Says who? Yeah, it's highly likely, but it's not a guarantee that he'd be injured again. I can't see why ANYBODY wouldn't want him on an INCENTIVE-LADEN contract!

How many "chances" have we given Jenkins? He's only had one so far. Unless you want to count trading for him in the first place. In their careers Jenkins has played 108 games in 10 seasons(10.8 gpy), Sanders has played 48 games in 7 (6.8 gpy). In the last 3 seasons Sanders has played in 9 games, Jenkins 24. Jenkins has played in all 16 games 6 times, Sanders never has. Hell, in 7 seasons Sanders has only played in more than 6 games twice. I'm not against signing Sanders to a cheap or incentive laden deal, but he's not exactly in the same category as Jenkins.

An average defense that won a Super Bowl he also has won DPOY in 2007.

Sanders has been DPOY and 2 time All-Pro (2 time pro bowl). Jenkins is a 2 time All-Pro and 4 time pro bowler. Jenkins has been to a super bowl too if you want to count ancient history.

How many "chances" have we given Jenkins? He's only had one so far. Unless you want to count trading for him in the first place. In their careers Jenkins has played 108 games in 10 seasons(10.8 gpy), Sanders has played 48 games in 7 (6.8 gpy). In the last 3 seasons Sanders has played in 9 games, Jenkins 24. Jenkins has played in all 16 games 6 times, Sanders never has. Hell, in 7 seasons Sanders has only played in more than 6 games twice. I'm not against signing Sanders to a cheap or incentive laden deal, but he's not exactly in the same category as Jenkins.

Sanders has been DPOY and 2 time All-Pro (2 time pro bowl). Jenkins is a 2 time All-Pro and 4 time pro bowler. Jenkins has been to a super bowl too if you want to count ancient history.

In a perfect world give me both of them healthy added to our defense.

It's the quintessential boom or bust/low risk high reward (and there goes the quintessential gambini) situation with Sanders. When healthy, he's clearly an elite defensive player, there's no questioning that. The two almost-full seasons he played, he was an all-pro and once a DPOY. In 2007 he came back healthy for the playoffs and improved the colts run defense from 100+ yards a game to a playoff best 73ish ypg. Honestly, the only question is whether or not he can stay healthy. I personally think the off chance that he can be healthy for the playoffs is well worth the risk, because he can have a monster impact on a defense.

It's the quintessential boom or bust/low risk high reward (and there goes the quintessential gambini) situation with Sanders. When healthy, he's clearly an elite defensive player, there's no questioning that. The two almost-full seasons he played, he was an all-pro and once a DPOY. In 2007 he came back healthy for the playoffs and improved the colts run defense from 100+ yards a game to a playoff best 73ish ypg. Honestly, the only question is whether or not he can stay healthy. I personally think the off chance that he can be healthy for the playoffs is well worth the risk, because he can have a monster impact on a defense.

Right. The question is how low is the risk? If the price is low we're good. If the price is high and the cap is huge we might still be okay, but that's not likely.

I'd prefer Sanders + Cook to Eric Smith FWIW.

Right. The question is how low is the risk? If the price is low we're good. If the price is high and the cap is huge we might still be okay, but that's not likely.

I'd prefer Sanders + Cook to Eric Smith FWIW.

Very true. I only spoke on what I could, as I have no idea the offered contracts or what the cap will be. All things being equal; a low base salary with high incentives, a high cap etc. he is certainly worth the risk. But, there's clearly a lot to hammer out prior to making a judgment. I would just have to imagine that any contract he gets is going to be strictly incentive laiden and after making $20 mill guaranteed (not sure on the number, but he was the highest paid safety at one point) I wouldn't be surprised if he took 100k less to play with the jets instead of the bills or skins.

Very true. I only spoke on what I could, as I have no idea the offered contracts or what the cap will be. All things being equal; a low base salary with high incentives, a high cap etc. he is certainly worth the risk. But, there's clearly a lot to hammer out prior to making a judgment. I would just have to imagine that any contract he gets is going to be strictly incentive laiden and after making $20 mill guaranteed (not sure on the number, but he was the highest paid safety at one point) I wouldn't be surprised if he took 100k less to play with the jets instead of the bills or skins.

Neither would I, but the Bills and Skins might be willing to offer a lot more than 100k more than he's worth!

I like sanders as a strong safety out of the blitz packages, could do a much better job than smith or leonhard.. Draft moore, and you got a nice centerfielder/ robber combo..

Don't be so uptight about past injuries, he probably won't be an every down player

Says who? Yeah, it's highly likely, but it's not a guarantee that he'd be injured again. I can't see why ANYBODY wouldn't want him on an INCENTIVE-LADEN contract!

That was not even the point.

The point was to prove why people seem more loyal to Jenkins.

durrr

I like sanders as a strong safety out of the blitz packages, could do a much better job than smith or leonhard.. Draft moore, and you got a nice centerfielder/ robber combo..

Don't be so uptight about past injuries, he probably won't be an every down player

I disagree he is an every down player if healthy. Hes only 31. Hes fresh and well rested get him signed and hopefully hes staying in shape.

I disagree he is an every down player if healthy. Hes only 31. Hes fresh and well rested get him signed and hopefully hes staying in shape.

I call bullsh*t. Too crippled to play for three years is NOT fresh and well rested. ****. Why don't they sign Butkus too? He's fresh and well rested too. My Two Dads has been off the air for years.

I call bullsh*t. Too crippled to play for three years is NOT fresh and well rested. ****. Why don't they sign Butkus too? He's fresh and well rested too. My Two Dads has been off the air for years.

Maybe he didnt heal properly from previous injuries. Maybe he was rushed back. What are you in the medical profession?

The bullsh*t is you guys not wanting to take a chance on what could be a great pickup for us. I trust in Rex whatever he decides is good by me.

Maybe he didnt heal properly from previous injuries. Maybe he was rushed back. What are you in the medical profession?

The bullsh*t is you guys not wanting to take a chance on what could be a great pickup for us. I trust in Rex whatever he decides is good by me.

Am I in the medical profession? I'm not the genius that claimed that a 31 year old fidget safety who hasn't been able to stay on the field since Giuliani was the favorite for president was "fresh and well rested". About the only thing he has going for him on the injury front is that the last two seasons he had arm injuries.

Am I in the medical profession? I'm not the genius that claimed that a 31 year old fidget safety who hasn't been able to stay on the field since Giuliani was the favorite for president was "fresh and well rested". About the only thing he has going for him on the injury front is that the last two seasons he had arm injuries.

Now you did the thread is gonna get locked cause you turned it political.

+1 and repped.

Repped for teh reppage b/c anyone who has anything else to say on the matter has got the crazy. FYI haters the team is gonna be a bit cap strapped most likely. Risk/reward guys for hopefully (incentive laden like) contracts are alright with me. Go for the Gold baby!

You have Two Dads? :blink:

Repped for teh reppage b/c anyone who has anything else to say on the matter has got the crazy. FYI haters the team is gonna be a bit cap strapped most likely. Risk/reward guys for hopefully (incentive laden like) contracts are alright with me. Go for the Gold baby!

Can you find one point where anybody said the wouldn't like to have Sanders? Some of us are just trying to temper enthusiasm for guy who hasn't spent much time on the field and don't want too much money tied up in a guy that may not be out there. I'd love to have him.

Can you find one point where anybody said the wouldn't like to have Sanders? Some of us are just trying to temper enthusiasm for guy who hasn't spent much time on the field and don't want too much money tied up in a guy that may not be out there. I'd love to have him.

No need to be defensive. There is cleary a contingent of Jet fans who as a paranoid whole, do not want any part of deploring financial whereabouts to a Mr. Bob Sanders and his 9 games. The haters talk is not only directed at this said small contingent it is also completely tongue in cheek. However I did not know you speak for the entire fanbase. My apologies.

Rotoworld:

Chargers swoop in to sign SS Bob Sanders

Chargers signed SS Bob Sanders to a one-year contract.

A bolt from the blue. Sanders had made visits to the Jets, Jags, and Bills, but the Chargers were never mentioned as an interested party. We're guessing the Chargers will still make it a priority to re-sign Eric Weddle at free safety, with Steve Gregory moving back to a nickel role. San Diego is a potential contender with a leadership vacuum on defense, so Sanders is worth the one-year gamble on what is likely an incentive-laden deal. Said Norv Turner, "He's healthy and he's excited about the opportunity."

Not our potential headache to worry or debate any longer...

Nor is this one:

Redskins sign Atogwe to 5-year, $26M contract

Redskins agreed to terms with FS O.J. Atogwe on a five-year, $26 million contract.

Among NFL defensive backs, Atogwe's 44 turnovers accounted for rank third in the league over the past five seasons, and second in the NFC. (Only Ed Reed and Charles Woodson have more.) Also familiar with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's system from their time together in St. Louis, the 30-year-old Atogwe will fit in nicely in D.C. He'll play free safety, with LaRon Landry manning the strong side and continuing to focus on "the box."

Id like both Jenkins and Sanders on this defense next season. If they are both healthy and can contribute a full season.

This !

getting them both on the cheap has the potential for huge upside like the most dominating defense in the NFL type upside. There have been plenty of players who had a few years of bad luck (due to injury) to come back and play at a high level.

Archived