Edwards "wouldn't mind" ending up with Jets

T0mShane

Braylon speaks on DUI, free agency, lockout

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5074/braylon-speaks-on-dui-free-agency-lockout

A few days ago, Santonio Holmes took a neutral stance with regard to his pending free-agent status, showing no favoritism toward the Jets. Basically, he said it would be a business decision, may the best offer win -- and that ticked off Jets fans.

Braylon Edwards, in an interview with Detroit radio station WXYT, went the other way, saying he'd like to re-sign with the Jets. He, too, is a free agent. Unlike Holmes, who could be restricted or unrestricted (depends on the outcome of the labor dispute), Edwards knows he'll be a UFA because he has six credited seasons.

“I wouldn’t mind ending up back with the Jets," Edwards told WXYT, per sportsradiointerviews.com. "I think we have a good chemistry and a good rapport and we’re building on something. I’m tired of things changing. With Cleveland, it was always changing, and even to get to the Jets it was ever-changing, but now I see us having something and developing something and I would like to be a part of it.

"If it doesn’t go that way it’s football, it’s life, and things happen. Just a good situation. Just a situation where I don’t have to start from scratch like the Buffalo Bills or something."

Edwards touched on other topics, including his drunk-driving arrest from last season, which he called it "BS."

"The bad thing about this situation is I never drive in New York." he said. "One, I don’t know where the heck I’m going. Two, the roads are too bumpy and the traffic is crazy. I usually always have a chauffeur, but it was a random situation where I went to a teammate's event and stepped out after that. Why I got pulled over wasn’t even because of erratic driving or suspicion of intoxicated driving, it was for tinted windows, which was BS. Things happen, but you learn from it."

Edwards weighed in on the lockout, predicting it will be resolved over the summer.

“I think it will be settled sometime around July or August," he said. "The reason that I say it will be settled is because the owners are applying that pressure because they have it right now. They know a lot of athletes are going to be struggling with money in terms of bonuses and things of that nature. In terms of getting paid, (they think) guys are going to start to panic and what to cave in, but we’re not. We’re going to hold fast, but at the same time they don’t want to lose that money on the back end. There will be a season and the season will start on time because that’s just too much revenue for those guys to lose."

Holmes says he wants a contract, Edwards says he wouldn't mind being with the Jets but he'll have to look at his offers-both guys seem to be saying pretty much the same thing, but Edwards appears to be saying it more diplomatically.

FWIW, Holmes was slightly higher rated starting the season, and in clutch situations Sanchez seems to look for Holmes more. But I think Braylon had the better season overall.

Holmes says he wants a contract, Edwards says he wouldn't mind being with the Jets but he'll have to look at his offers-both guys seem to be saying pretty much the same thing, but Edwards appears to be saying it more diplomatically.

FWIW, Holmes was slightly higher rated starting the season, and in clutch situations Sanchez seems to look for Holmes more. But I think Braylon had the better season overall.

Edwards is saying it that way because seen enough with his own eyes - being on the team - and he's read enough rumors from beat writers to know that the Jets love him 2nd-best between the two. He would love to be back here but if he doesn't get an offer he wants the ability to take the stance that he wasn't rejected by his 2nd team in such a short span of time.

Santonio used to be my favorite non-Jet. I like Braylon a hundred times more though. I like what he brings to the table being a physical wide receiver, big target, good blocker and high energy kind of guy. I get the sense he really wants to win, whereas I get the sense that Santonio is a goofball.

Now the DUI situation will be a big factor, but how about this wild idea: let the quarterback tell you who he's more comfortable with. That has to be factor #1.

Interesting: Braylon is going to Mark's summer get-together, Santonio isn't.

I like both Braylon and Santonio...both are just incredibly poor fundamental WR's.

Meh. Both have their pluses and minuses. Holmes isn't the physical specimen that Braylon is, and doesn't seem to put forth as much effort every single play (particularly on running plays). It isn't that Edwards isn't talented in his own right, but the reality is Holmes just gets open better.

Agree on fundamentals. That was brought up dozens of times throughout the season, and it's maddening how neither one of them catches the ball with his hands (unless it's an acrobatic catch and that's the only way to reach it, which means they CAN do it). They also both break stride to jump up and catch the ball in the breadbasket. Lastly they also - particularly Holmes - will wait for the ball to come to them rather than going to get it on passes that float a little.

Meh. Both have their pluses and minuses. Holmes isn't the physical specimen that Braylon is, and doesn't seem to put forth as much effort every single play (particularly on running plays). It isn't that Edwards isn't talented in his own right, but the reality is Holmes just gets open better.

Agree on fundamentals. That was brought up dozens of times throughout the season, and it's maddening how neither one of them catches the ball with his hands (unless it's an acrobatic catch and that's the only way to reach it, which means they CAN do it). They also both break stride to jump up and catch the ball in the breadbasket. Lastly they also - particularly Holmes - will wait for the ball to come to them rather than going to get it on passes that float a little.

They both have so many bad habits that just arent correctable at this point. Plus side is, t they both have the ability to make big plays at any moment.

With a young QB, that needs all the help he can get...its still debatable if these are the two guys you want catching passes.

Throw in Dustin Keller, who has the awareness of a corpse, and yeah.

They both have so many bad habits that just arent correctable at this point. Plus side is, t they both have the ability to make big plays at any moment.

With a young QB, that needs all the help he can get...its still debatable if these are the two guys you want catching passes.

Throw in Dustin Keller, who has the awareness of a corpse, and yeah.

What is most infuriating is how innately talented each of them are. But the truth is not everyone can be Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald who are the whole package.

What is most infuriating is how innately talented each of them are. But the truth is not everyone can be Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald who are the whole package.

Both Holmes and Edwards were superstars from the time they were 9 years old. I remember Holmes hot-dogging it as a freshman at Ohio State. If I knew my check was cashed before I even hit puberty, I'd have stopped trying to get better, too. Or, I'd at least have an excuse as to why I never got better. F*ck puberty.

Both Holmes and Edwards were superstars from the time they were 9 years old. I remember Holmes hot-dogging it as a freshman at Ohio State. If I knew my check was cashed before I even hit puberty, I'd have stopped trying to get better, too. Or, I'd at least have an excuse as to why I never got better. F*ck puberty.

That was when you started budding your little bosoms, right?

Archived