ESPN strength of schedule

PatriotReign37

This strength of schedule stuff is nonsense in my opinion, it says that statistically the jets have a harder schedule than the patriots, but I disagree, because I would much rather play the ravens and jags, than the steelers and colts who that pats play based on position within the division. besides that the schedules are the same.

The Pats win the division, and have a cake schedule the following year.....figures :rolleyes:

on the real, how the **** does this sh*t happen?

edit: i know how they determine the schedule (rotating divisions etc.) but still, something is weird with that.

This strength of schedule stuff in a load of crap.

Some teams that the "experts" think will be good end up having bad years and vice versa.

I hate this stuff along with the endless "Predict the season" threads that we will be seeing now the next 5 months.

I would much rather play the ravens and jags, than the steelers and colts who that pats play based on position within the division.

+ 1. When comparing schedules within the division, it really just comes down to 2 games. Unless of course you want to factor in the timing of games.

The difference in the teams' schedules is that the Jets play the Ravens and the Jaguars, and the Pats play the Colts and the Steelers.

There is one other difference you're all forgetting.

The Jets play the Pats twice, while the Pats play the Jets twice. Considering the Pats had 3 more wins on the season than the Jets, that's a 6 game swing for strength-of-schedule. Of course, that doesn't really do much to dispel the idea that SOS is kind of crap.

There is one other difference you're all forgetting.

The Jets play the Pats twice, while the Pats play the Jets twice. Considering the Pats had 3 more wins on the season than the Jets, that's a 6 game swing for strength-of-schedule. Of course, that doesn't really do much to dispel the idea that SOS is kind of crap.

Not to mention SOS aggregates all the wins/losses of every team as though in the coming season a team played one massive, 16-game opponent with a winning percentage of x.

What makes a schedule difficult - not even getting into the obvious point that you can only truly judge it in hindsight - is how many bad teams, how many mediocre teams, and how many good teams one plays. That may or may not be represented by a cumulative winning percentage.

Which is the easier schedule over this hypothetical 4-game stretch?

Game 1 (home): 14-2 (opponent's prior season final record)

Game 2 (away): 7-9

Game 3 (home): 6-10

Game 4 (away): 6-10

TOTAL SOS: 33-31 (.516)

Game 1 (home): 9-7

Game 2 (away): 10-6

Game 3 (home): 3-13

Game 4 (away): 10-6

TOTAL SOS: 32-32 (.500)

Looking purely at SOS one would conclude that both schedules are almost equal, but if forced to pick which is easier the obvious conclusion would be that the first team has the harder schedule. Meanwhile that first team only plays one team with a winning record and 3 teams with losing records. Moreover, the one really tough game is played at home. Team two only has one "cake" game. The other 3 are all against teams with winning records and include 2 away games against teams with double-digit wins.

It is nothing to get riled up about unless the complaint is that it's a travesty that the league didn't give the 14-2 Patriots a schedule where they have to play against the 14-2 Patriots (twice).

This strength of schedule stuff is nonsense in my opinion, it says that statistically the jets have a harder schedule than the patriots, but I disagree, because I would much rather play the ravens and jags, than the steelers and colts who that pats play based on position within the division. besides that the schedules are the same.

As a Pats fan, I would much rather see the Steelers on the schedule than the Ravens.

The Jets have the (alleged) 3rd-hardest schedule in the NFL according to the SOS win percentage.

7 opponents with winning records

2 opponents with .500 records

7 opponents with losing records

That's about as middle-of-the-road, if not outright cushy, as one can ask for after a (second consecutive) championship game appearance.

Atlanta's schedule should be significantly "easier" than ours though, as defined by having only the 19th-hardest schedule:

8 opponents with winning records

1 opponent with a .500 record

NE, supposedly with the 13th-hardest schedule, has the exact same breakdown as Atlanta.

A team with true SB aspirations ought to be able to do the following in the regular season: beat 6 of 7 teams with losing records, at least split with the .500 teams, and win 3 of 7 (read: lose most) of the games against winning teams, for a 10-6 or 11-5 record.

By the way, one of those "winning" teams we play against is Kansas City, who sucked no matter what their final 10-6 record showed. Their lone victory against a team with a .500+ record came week 1 against a Bolts team that started 2-5 (hardly a "winning" team at the time they played). The only truly good team they played was Baltimore in the playoffs, who beat the snot out of them in their own house.

Another is the Giants, where Eli will throw 3-4 picks.

Another is at Philadelphia, but late enough in the season where Vick should already be injured. If he's healthy, though, I believe he'll tear our slower front-seven apart. He runs too fast and his release is too fast.

Another is against the San Diego Chokers.

Two others come against the 14-2 Pats, who we beat 2 of 3 times last year and split with the year prior.

The last is against Baltimore who, though a tough team, needed the NFL's worst-ever offensive gameplan from BS, a total garbage game from Sanchez, Darrelle Revis only covering their #3 receiver, and patently ridiculous officiating calls, to beat us by a single point.

The .500 opponents are Oakland, who sucks outside their suckjob division, and Jacksonville, who also blow.

We should do quite well if Sanchez improves even just a little bit.

The Jets have the (alleged) 3rd-hardest schedule in the NFL according to the SOS win percentage.

7 opponents with winning records

2 opponents with .500 records

That's about as middle-of-the-road, if not outright cushy, as one can ask for after a (second consecutive) championship game appearance.

Atlanta's schedule should be significantly "easier" than ours though, as defined by having only the 19th-hardest schedule:

8 opponents with winning records

1 opponent with a .500 record

NE, supposedly with the 13th-hardest schedule, has the exact same breakdown as Atlanta.

A team with true SB aspirations ought to be able to do the following in the regular season: beat 6 of 7 teams with losing records, at least split with the .500 teams, and win 3 of 7 (read: lose most) of the games against winning teams, for a 10-6 or 11-5 record.

By the way, one of those "winning" teams we play against is Kansas City, who sucked no matter what their final 10-6 record showed. Their lone victory against a team with a .500+ record came week 1 against a Bolts team that started 2-5 (hardly a "winning" team at the time they played). The only truly good team they played was Baltimore in the playoffs, who beat the snot out of them in their own house.

Another is the Giants, where Eli will throw 3-4 picks.

Another is at Philadelphia, but late enough in the season where Vick should already be injured. If he's healthy, though, I believe he'll tear our slower front-seven apart. He runs too fast and his release is too fast.

Another is against the San Diego Chokers.

Two others come against the 14-2 Pats, who we beat 2 of 3 times last year and split with the year prior.

The last is against Baltimore who, though a tough team, needed the NFL's worst-ever offensive gameplan from BS, a total garbage game from Sanchez, Darrelle Revis only covering their #3 receiver, and patently ridiculous officiating calls, to beat us by a single point.

The .500 opponents are Oakland, who sucks outside their suckjob division, and Jacksonville, who also blow.

We should do quite well if Sanchez improves even just a little bit.

In all honesty, outside of the 3 game road stretch which is admittedly tough (although I see no reason they shouldn't start off with a W against Oakland), I don't find this schedule to be all that bad at all. Outside of that, who would most consider to be the toughest opponents? The Cowboys? We have them at home. The Chargers? We get them coming cross-country at 1:00. That's a laugh. Maybe the Giants and Eagles? That's about it. I guess the only other thing you could come up with is an issue would be the Sunday night game followed by the Thursday night game. But again, that's more an issue of the actual scheduling than the opponents themselves.

Archived