NFL Players Line up to get Alimony Reduced

flgreen

NFL players line up to get child support and alimony reduced

May

5/10/2011 7:29:10 AM

|

Scott Soshnick of Bloomberg News reports the fallout from NFL labor trouble is liable to hit players' ex-wives and children.

NFL players are lining up to get child support and alimony payments lowered to reflect what would be reduced incomes should their leagues shut down, said attorney Howard Rudolph of Rudolph & Associates in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Rudolph, whose office is decorated with sports memorabilia from his athlete clients, said he's working on modification requests for NFL players whom he wouldn't identify. It's the same move Wall Street executives made when they lost jobs or income during the recession, said Raoul Felder, a divorce lawyer whose clients have included former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and the ex-wife of basketball player Jason Kidd.

"The NFL is an industry, and if the industry is in trouble, the men can't meet their obligations," Felder said. "The only thing to do is file for modification."

Raiders running back Darren McFadden, who has three children with three women, has enough money to pay his support even in the event of a lockout, said his agent, Ian Greengross. McFadden in 2008 signed a six-year, $60 million contract that included a guaranteed $26 million.

Tina Julian is concerned about the child support she gets from her 2-year-old son's father, Jets defensive back Antonio Cromartie, although she said he hasn't mentioned the possibility of not being able to pay the support.

"The money I get from him is definitely important," Julian said, declining to divulge how much she receives from Cromartie, a free agent. "Something would have to change."

Cromartie, according to the New York Post, has nine children by eight women. The 27-year-old got a $500,000 advance of his $1.7 million salary last season to settle child-support matters.

These guys make so much money it's unreal that they can claim they can't afford anything lol. I'll take 1/4 of what they make and still have plenty to raise a big family with plenty of luxuries. What a bunch of jokers.

These guys make so much money it's unreal that they can claim they can't afford anything lol. I'll take 1/4 of what they make and still have plenty to raise a big family with plenty of luxuries. What a bunch of jokers.

By the same token, why do these guy's ex-wives or baby mamas need or deserve $30k/month in the first place?

By the same token, why do these guy's ex-wives or baby mamas need or deserve $30k/month in the first place?

Yep. They have to file immediately based upon a change in circumstance. In New York at least, they are on the hook until they make the motion. That means if they try to wait it out they will owe that $30K a month and will not be able to complain that they didn't earn any of that sweet, sweet NFL money. It also exposes them to arrest for contempt if they don't/can't pay.

It's 2011. Why wouldn't a woman be able to support herself? I don't get alimony at all. Child support if it's a small amount makes sense, but giving the kid enough so he can wear designer clothing and ride a BMW to school everyday seems a bit retarded to me as well.

Maybe back in 1950 there was a reason for this stuff, but it hasn't made sense for decades.

It's 2011. Why wouldn't a woman be able to support herself? I don't get alimony at all. Child support if it's a small amount makes sense, but giving the kid enough so he can wear designer clothing and ride a BMW to school everyday seems a bit retarded to me as well.

Maybe back in 1950 there was a reason for this stuff, but it hasn't made sense for decades.

I couldn't agree more. The system is absurdly biased toward women. There's no reason at all a man should have to give half his salary to his ex wife. Give her enough to raise the child or to pay for day care. But she doesn't need 30K a month or whatever ridiculous things they are giving her. She isn't playing football, she doesn't deserve all that money. She deserves enough to help raise the child and get back on her feet. That's it. 90% of the time the father is willing to raise the child himself, but the woman fights him for the child just because she gets extra spending money each month, and the courts instantly think women are better parents than men. so it is what it is. A load of crap.

The father is outrageously wealthy but his kid gets just enough to be raised on?

I don't know that they need $30K monthly but the kid should get a better-than-average upbringing.

Should the player be required to have, the mother, and her boyfriend live the same life style as him just because they live in the same household as the child?

That's what's happening. Even in the average person child support

If they only chose to wear a very inexpensive condom while boning these women, they wouldn't be shelling out this kind of money now! $30,000 and month!?! That's just crazy.

I'll give you that for Cromartie, but most of the time it's from marriage. I don't know how marriage became so temporary, but even when I was growing up it was supposed to be "'till death do you part" not "until I get bored." My parents are still together and I know things weren't always smooth but they worked things out. It's retarded to me how people are so quick to divorce.

Personally I don't think marriage should even exist anymore. There's this whole debate on homosexuals getting married, personally I think if you hate them, let them marry because as marriage is right now it's a mess anyway and for 90% of people just a mistake. It's some sort of antiquated religion-government hybrid that has no place in today's society.

I think marriage should be a one shot. If you fail one marriage, outside of extraordinary circumstances, you have a lifetime ban on ever getting married again. You can't just decide to get divorced. No-fault divorce is the dumbest idea ever.

Le the message go forth; all young men, and especially those of some means, should familiarize themselves with this image before moments of passion, or at least sometime before that(and some like this one are drive thru!)-Naturally+Yours+CVS+1.jpg

Le the message go forth; all young men, and especially those of some means, should familiarize themselves with this image before moments of passion, or at least sometime before that(and some like this one are drive thru!)-Naturally+Yours+CVS+1.jpg

I think this is a more effective image:

dirty-baby.png

I'll give you that for Cromartie, but most of the time it's from marriage. I don't know how marriage became so temporary, but even when I was growing up it was supposed to be "'till death do you part" not "until I get bored." My parents are still together and I know things weren't always smooth but they worked things out. It's retarded to me how people are so quick to divorce.

Personally I don't think marriage should even exist anymore. There's this whole debate on homosexuals getting married, personally I think if you hate them, let them marry because as marriage is right now it's a mess anyway and for 90% of people just a mistake. It's some sort of antiquated religion-government hybrid that has no place in today's society.

I think marriage should be a one shot. If you fail one marriage, outside of extraordinary circumstances, you have a lifetime ban on ever getting married again. You can't just decide to get divorced. No-fault divorce is the dumbest idea ever.

I think the reason so many people get divorced quick is because they rush into marriage in the first place. I mean how many people get married in their early twenties, before they even start a career or sometimes haven't even been with the person more than a couple years? My cousin got engaged at 22 after just 6 months and now they fight all the time. I know the national average is like 26, which isn't bad, but I don't understand why so many people rush. I guess they are just in a hurry and want to start a family and have kids (biological clock nonsense), and don't take into account true love. Every single person does not need to have kids and HAVE to have a family. Unfortunately the way society is, it's practically expected. Before you make a lifelong commitment to somebody you need to be absolutely sure. This should include living with the person, doing things together as a couple and having sex. Or no, save yourself for marriage so your wife has no idea you're a minute man and gets stuck in a sexually frustrating relationship that will never work. I agree man, marriage should be done away with. Why should anyone need to sign a legal agreement over love? Love is love. There is no piece of paper or agreement that surpasses that. That should be THE factor in all marriages, but it often is not. A lot of people only get married to get tax benefits. The problem is people change, and situations change and sometimes the love dies out. Yeah, you should try counseling, trying new things, and everything else, but if it's not working, it's not working. You can't always predict that in 20 years your wife will go insane and turn your world upside down. That's a LONG time. It's not like buying a car where you can look it over and test drive it once, before committing to buy it.

Archived