christmas gift help thread

joewilly

Someone told me that if you buy ipod you are limited to buying music from the ITunes store.

True????

i load cd's on to my mac which is itunes and then onto my ipod. i dont know if it is the only way... sorry cant be more help there

Someone told me that if you buy ipod you are limited to buying music from the ITunes store.

True????

I put my cd's and music from ahem, "elswhere" on my IPod and there is no problem. I have heard that you cannot take the itunes music and put it on a different MP3 player. My kids have minis and love them, and a friend of mine has the Nano which is awesome (but I believe is a bit more expensive).

I put my cd's and music from ahem, "elswhere" on my IPod and there is no problem. I have heard that you cannot take the itunes music and put it on a different MP3 player. My kids have minis and love them, and a friend of mine has the Nano which is awesome (but I believe is a bit more expensive).

Yes, your PC/Mac will convert any mp3 files to .AAC (which is what iTunes & the iPods use), but as far as purchasing online music, it's easiest & quickest to use the iTunes store. You cannot use the new Napster service w/an iPod (but I don't know why you'd want to lease music instead of buying it...)

I just had to get one of the new 30GB iPods, as my previous one got wet, and it's not working... the new ones are nice, playing video now too.

The nano is probably your best child option for price & they hold about 1000 songs, just make sure it's not too small that they could possible lose it.

I think he's still downloading to his pc music library from limewire. any problems loading any music from pc library to ipod? is nano the same as mini.

wolfjet, does your new ipod play videos? if not are they available yet? 16 yr old who's really into music

I think he's still downloading to his pc music library from limewire. any problems loading any music from pc library to ipod? is nano the same as mini.

wolfjet, does your new ipod play videos? if not are they available yet? 16 yr old who's really into music

I'm not really familiar w/limewire, but I imagine that he's getting mp3 files from there. Once you have them in that format, it's just a matter of having the PC convert them to the Apple format, then iTunes loads them onto the iPod.

The nano is the new mini - they stopped producing the mini.

The new iPods (5th generation) play video, not sure about the nano. Both are available now. If your son's really into music, the 30GB iPod as opposed to the 4GB nano might be the way to go - just from the fact that you'll have sooo much more available memory. The 30GB iPod is the same price as the previous 20GB iPod (what I had), around $300. If there's an Apple store close by you, just wander in, they'll have everything right there.

iPods are the greatest invention ever. I was seriously depressed being without mine for a few days while I debated fixing my old one or buying a new one...

Hope this helps.

My godson wants the PSP handheld or some thinga ma jig.... :lol: Your expertise Wolfjet and what should I get as far as MP3 or Ipod...I love music but Im not listening to 10,000 songs at any given time ever...I figure 500 or 1000 the most. whats the most affordable smart way to go..with possible car connection.. :shock:

My godson wants the PSP handheld or some thinga ma jig.... :lol:

I can help you with the PSP if nothing else...

its a playstation portable, has ps2 quality graphics on a handheld. It has a 480 x 272 pixel screen that shows upto 16.77 million different colors.

It plays the umd discs and also umd movies. Just about all movies that come out on dvd now are also formatted on the umds for the PSP.

Retail on a PSP is $250, which gets you the system, charger, headphones, case, instruction manual, and sampler umd disc.

It can also be used to hold music files, photos, and browse the web. You buy memory cards for them based on how much data you will be storing on it. You will get a 32 MB memory stick with the unit, but youre on your own from there.

Its a nice machine, definately worth the extra money it costs compared to other handhelds.

My godson wants the PSP handheld or some thinga ma jig.... :lol: Your expertise Wolfjet and what should I get as far as MP3 or Ipod...I love music but Im not listening to 10,000 songs at any given time ever...I figure 500 or 1000 the most. whats the most affordable smart way to go..with possible car connection.. :shock:
Follow heelz on the psp info, if you only need 1k songs at a time, there are several mp3 player options; I personally love the iPods (the nano would probably work for the size you're looking for), but I haven't really checked out the competitors... Sony has a new small unit that's come out... I'm sure you'd be able to find a "Consumer Reports" style webpage that can compare & contrast the different players. (iPods are not the most inexpensive of all of them.)

As far as in the car, there are 2 main inexpensive ways to go - if you have a cassette deck in the car, the $20 Sony adapter gives the best sound quality... If no cassette deck, then you want to use an FM transmitter & get the audio through your car radio. There are several of these to choose from. Depending on how crowded the FM dial is where you are, it can be tricky to find a clear channel to use.

Heelz...how about the XBOX 360? Will you be able to get it for XMas if you haven't ordered it yet?

Which is the way to go...the more expensive one with the hard drive or the plain version?

Thanks!

We found out 2 weeks ago that Microsoft is going to be releasing more limited quantities on the 360 systems. Therefore if you have not preordered one anywhere, your best bet is to get to a store as early as possible this coming Tuesday. The local Wal Mart here in my town is getting only about 15 units in. I am not sure about Best Buy and Circuit City, but chances are they will be just as limited. Best of luck to you, I have no doubts people are going to be lining up for them in the early hours of the morning.

If you need it by Christmas, I would definately plant down somewhere in front of a store and wait it out.

The $399 system includes the hard drive and wireless controllers. This is the way to go really, because you can save your games and the drive also makes it able to play the current xbox games. About 95% of all preorders we received at my work were for the hard drive system.

The $299 core system would be a good option if you cannot find any of the other systems on the launch date. You can go back and buy a hard drive for the $99.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would not want the drive, since you couldn't save your game progress or play your current xbox titles without it.

Hope this helps.

I have a Creative Muvo 512MB and I am very happy with it. I refused to even consider an ipod after hearing some horror stories from my friends about how difficult they can be to use if you don't stick to itunes.

As for the 360:

I guess that means they are running some kind of emulation to run current titles. Interesting.

Yes it is running emulation software. That is why:

a) the hard drive is required (to store the emulation code) and

B) not all games are backwards compatible (as each one needs to have specific emulation code written for it).

The xbox has an Intel cpu and Nvidia gpu, whilst the 360 uses an IBM PowerPC cpu and ATI gpu. The new hardware uses a different type of code to the old, so emulation is necessary.

But I do agree it is a necessity!

A memory card is $40, so the price difference is really only $60 for 320 times more storage. Add in the hard drive requirement for xbox games and it is clear the hard drive is definitely a necessity for a majority of people.

Well we have our machines in at work. I got to open one and set it up tonight after close.

Its a very nice unit...about the size and weight of the first ps2 (the fat ones). The hard drive disconnects with just the push of a button, and the back of the machine has the various ethernet and miscellaneous ports.

We have about 9 boxes of the systems, several boxes of controllers and accessories, and plenty of games in stock (these can be purchased now).

We actually did receive a couple of the core systems. My manager says he really wants to sell them, and if nobody gets them by the end of the day Tuesday, I am taking one home. I will buy the hard drive for a hundred bucks.

Well we have our machines in at work. I got to open one and set it up tonight after close.

Its a very nice unit...about the size and weight of the first ps2 (the fat ones). The hard drive disconnects with just the push of a button, and the back of the machine has the various ethernet and miscellaneous ports.

We have about 9 boxes of the systems, several boxes of controllers and accessories, and plenty of games in stock (these can be purchased now).

We actually did receive a couple of the core systems. My manager says he really wants to sell them, and if nobody gets them by the end of the day Tuesday, I am taking one home. I will buy the hard drive for a hundred bucks.

...cpu's Hellz?....hell I need a new one for tyhe living room.

I can help you with the PSP if nothing else...

its a playstation portable, has ps2 quality graphics on a handheld. It has a 480 x 272 pixel screen that shows upto 16.77 million different colors.

It plays the umd discs and also umd movies. Just about all movies that come out on dvd now are also formatted on the umds for the PSP.

Retail on a PSP is $250, which gets you the system, charger, headphones, case, instruction manual, and sampler umd disc.

It can also be used to hold music files, photos, and browse the web. You buy memory cards for them based on how much data you will be storing on it. You will get a 32 MB memory stick with the unit, but youre on your own from there.

Its a nice machine, definately worth the extra money it costs compared to other handhelds.

Thank you darling...you guys are well versed. Whenever I have a technical issue to handle I will be calling... :mrgreen: We're gonna buy him the games and his mom is gonna get him the system itself...thanks again.

Follow heelz on the psp info, if you only need 1k songs at a time, there are several mp3 player options; I personally love the iPods (the nano would probably work for the size you're looking for), but I haven't really checked out the competitors... Sony has a new small unit that's come out... I'm sure you'd be able to find a "Consumer Reports" style webpage that can compare & contrast the different players. (iPods are not the most inexpensive of all of them.)

As far as in the car, there are 2 main inexpensive ways to go - if you have a cassette deck in the car, the $20 Sony adapter gives the best sound quality... If no cassette deck, then you want to use an FM transmitter & get the audio through your car radio. There are several of these to choose from. Depending on how crowded the FM dial is where you are, it can be tricky to find a clear channel to use.

A thousand thanks to you my dear...like I told heelz..I will be coming to you guys when I need some help..Thanks again... :mrgreen:

Archived