Polamalu secondary to Revis on DB List

flgreen

Polamalu secondary to Revis on DB list

June, 7, 2011

Jun 7

4:22

PM ET

By Tim Graham

General consensus says Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is the NFL's best defensive player.

He was voted The Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year. ESPN.com's Power Rankings panel made him the unanimous choice when voting on the best defenders last month.

But in a segment for the NFL Network, a pair of opinionated and decorated veterans didn't rate Polamalu even the best defensive back in the game.

New Orleans Saints safety Darren Sharper and Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber assembled their top-10 list of the greatest defensive backs. With one safety and one corner compiling the order, there was no positional bias.

This is what Sharper and Barber came up with:

Darrelle Revis, Jets cornerback

Troy Polamalu, Steelers safety

Ed Reed, Ravens safety

Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders cornerback

Charles Woodson, Packers cornerback

Champ Bailey, Broncos cornerback

Nick Collins, Packers safety

Adrian Wilson, Rams safety

Devin McCourty, Patriots cornerback

Aqib Talib, Buccaneers cornerback

I believe Revis is the best cornerback in the NFL, but it's a little strange to see him rated higher than Polamalu, who's coming off such a great season.

That's also an impressive showing for McCourty after one NFL season. Sharper and Barber ranked him the fifth-best cornerback ahead of guys like Asante Samuel, Antoine Winfield and Tramon Williams.

I'm just cracking up at the idea that McCourty even made this list are you kidding me????

I mean thanks for putting Revis up there but when I watched McCourty playing us in the playoffs, nothing impressive at all... Braylon could have dragged three McCourty's into the endzone with him.

I'm just cracking up at the idea that McCourty even made this list are you kidding me????

I mean thanks for putting Revis up there but when I watched McCourty playing us in the playoffs, nothing impressive at all... Braylon could have dragged three McCourty's into the endzone with him.

Let's go to the videotape:

Love it every time.

Let's go to the videotape:

Love it every time.

Any body who is neutral, or against bringing Edwards back, watch this clip. He catches the ball at the 10 yard line, is well covered, and drags two pretty good players, not a yard, but 10 yards, into the end zone.

That was all desire to win, in a huge spot

have the jets ever had player who was generally regarded as the best in the league at his position ?

klecko ?

Marvin Powell

Our team in the early to mid 80's was stacked with talent but when Walt Micheals went berserk and Joe Must Go took over it all went for nothing. That team should have won 2 SB's in their sleep.

...and we have one on the other side of the ball too in Mangold.

Truth.

Funny thing about it is for all of the endless praise Revis gets (not that it's undeserved mind you), Mangold is the one of the two who it isn't even debated whether or not he's the best in the league at his position.

Adrian Wilson's so underrated they can't even get his team right even though he's been there nearly a decade.

A little blasphemous because Reed and Polamalu are infallible, but I'd take him over any safety in the league. Jim Leonhard on natural super roids.

Adrian Wilson's so underrated they can't even get his team right even though he's been there nearly a decade.

A little blasphemous because Reed and Polamalu are infallible, but I'd take him over any safety in the league. Jim Leonhard on natural super roids.

Bah, they just knew Wilson was on one of those sh*tty NFC West teams, what's the difference really?

Archived