Why LA is not getting an NFL team

Bugg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rooted for Rory McIlroy, and I despise white people.

Interesting that you mention him in this discussion, as golf being added for the 2016 Olympics puts McIlroy in a bit of a bind with respect to which country he chooses to represent. All other golf competitions fall under an all-Ireland team, but not the Olympics. Being that he's from the north, he has a British passport. but as s a Catholic, he could also choose to play for the Republic of Ireland.

He has already states that he intends to play for the UK, but either decision he could've made was bound to ruffle feathers on the other side, despite the fact that the Troubles has little affect on his life, as he's too young to have experienced much of it. Really, I don't know how much of a big deal is really being made over it in the wake of his recent major win... I'd have to defer to IrishJet for that one,

I have to be honest, given my general avoidance of such touchy threads, I was not aware of this. Should I take back my taking back of calling him racist?

Depends, you can either call it like it is, or deal with the wrath of Cartman's mom. ↓

When's Ugods new album dropping?

True colors step from the melanin.

a team that has a stadium in the same area as the Staples center will succeed.

This guy nailed it.

Location is key.

Look where the coliseum is, garbage part of town.

Having a football stadium right near the Staples and Convention centers will work.

It'd be nice if they could have been a LITTLE more respectful to the US team. This wasn't just a soccer game. It was yet another border issue coming to the forefront.

Then again, it would have also been nice if Tim Howard hadn't allowed 4 second half goals. That would have shut them up a good bit.

It'd be nice if they could have been a LITTLE more respectful to the US team. This wasn't just a soccer game. It was yet another border issue coming to the forefront.

Then again, it would have also been nice if Tim Howard hadn't allowed 4 second half goals. That would have shut them up a good bit.

Were you surprised though? Unless the other major sports in this country disappear, the US will never be able be a legit threat internationally.

Were you surprised though? Unless the other major sports in this country disappear, the US will never be able be a legit threat internationally.

Not particularly surprised, but I do think we have the capability of playing much better. We can and have been a legit threat since the 2002 Round of 8 run. Head Coach Bob Bradley's refusal to play the young guys and inability to find a center midfielder to play alongside his son Michael (who isn't all that good) is frustrating, to say the least.

My suggestion? In the short-term, play Freddy Adu and Maurice Edu much more. Long-term? Bring in Jurgen Klinsmann as the new US Men's National Team head coach and let him do work.

Not particularly surprised, but I do think we have the capability of playing much better. We can and have been a legit threat since the 2002 Round of 8 run. Head Coach Bob Bradley's refusal to play the young guys and inability to find a center midfielder to play alongside his son Michael (who isn't all that good) is frustrating, to say the least.

My suggestion? In the short-term, play Freddy Adu and Maurice Edu much more. Long-term? Bring in Jurgen Klinsmann as the new US Men's National Team head coach and let him do work.

Legit threat at what? Winning the World Cup? Cmon...

Skill wise, the US will never be there with the rest of the world.

Legit threat at what? Winning the World Cup? Cmon...

Skill wise, the US will never be there with the rest of the world.

Whether or not we ever have the skill level up there with the rest of the world is irrelevant. The goal should be to win the World Cup. Bradley's goals are always short-sighted and filled with quick fixes.

Interesting, this isnt exactly about how Mexicans hate us and would support a team but a good time to ask anyway...

I dont follow Soccer, never played it and find it to be more boring than Golf. Seriously. I gave the World Cup a chance, and I'll still watch it just because but all my watching the World Cup did a couple years back when it happened, reminded me of how awful that sport is to watch.

That said, I've often heard that we just dont teach the game the way other countries do and that their best athletes play Soccer, but is that really the reason why we suck? If thats the case, then why are our women good? Never understood why we suck, even if we put our 4th tier athletes out there we should be more competitive no?

The Jags ain't going anywhere as long as Wayne Weaver owns the team. The chargers and rams are the most likely to move.

There is no money to be made in Jacksonville. They have a relatively new stadium thats always empty.

The Chargers and Rams are mentioned only to scare the cities into building new venues. It worked in Minnesota.

Interesting, this isnt exactly about how Mexicans hate us and would support a team but a good time to ask anyway...

I dont follow Soccer, never played it and find it to be more boring than Golf. Seriously. I gave the World Cup a chance, and I'll still watch it just because but all my watching the World Cup did a couple years back when it happened, reminded me of how awful that sport is to watch.

That said, I've often heard that we just dont teach the game the way other countries do and that their best athletes play Soccer, but is that really the reason why we suck? If thats the case, then why are our women good? Never understood why we suck, even if we put our 4th tier athletes out there we should be more competitive no?

1. Let's be honest. Only recently did the rest of the world care at all about Women's Soccer. We were ahead of the curve in that sport for a while until some other countries started to give a damn. As a result, we haven't taken home the Women's World Cup since '99.

2. The exact opposite is true in the men's game. We're late to the scene. The MLS is very young compared to the rest of the major soccer leagues around the world (English Premiership, Spanish Primera, German Bundesliga, etc.). We've improved over time thanks to resources and more of our players getting into European leagues, but we still have a LONG way to go to match up with the big boys.

3. That being said, we don't SUCK. Last World Cup run, we were only one of two countries to beat Spain in international play when we took them down during the Confederation's Cup in South Africa. We nearly beat Brazil, but much like the recent Mexico game, we blew a 2-0 lead. Then, at the World Cup we managed to draw with England, who was supposed to crush us, and won our group before losing to Ghana. We've shown that we CAN compete at a high level. However, we need better coaching and better talent if we want to contend to win it all.

There is no money to be made in Jacksonville. They have a relatively new stadium thats always empty.

The Chargers and Rams are mentioned only to scare the cities into building new venues. It worked in Minnesota.

Weaver aint selling.

And for what its worth, the Jags had the highest increase in season tickets in the league last year.

3. That being said, we don't SUCK. Last World Cup run, we were only one of two countries to beat Spain in international play when we took them down during the Confederation's Cup in South Africa. We nearly beat Brazil, but much like the recent Mexico game, we blew a 2-0 lead. Then, at the World Cup we managed to draw with England, who was supposed to crush us, and won our group before losing to Ghana. We've shown that we CAN compete at a high level. However, we need better coaching and better talent if we want to contend to win it all.

Which is sort of surprising.

American kids start playing soccer at a young age and play in high school. They just built a huge soccer complex around here with 20 fields for that very reason. They must lose interest at the college level.

Stop bringing ethnic origin into discussions- LA can not support teams no matter what the sport

Not really

The Lakers draw, the Kings were huge when Gretsky was there. LA supported the Rams when they were winning. The last few years before the move, the Rams were in a tail spin of losing and apathy.

Times have changed anyway. The NFL has never been more popular than it is now.

Which is sort of surprising.

American kids start playing soccer at a young age and play in high school. They just built a huge soccer complex around here with 20 fields for that very reason. They must lose interest at the college level.

Soccer directly competes with football at a young level. Kids obviously play soccer first...but a lot choose football over it. And down south, soccer isn't even an option really.

1. Let's be honest. Only recently did the rest of the world care at all about Women's Soccer. We were ahead of the curve in that sport for a while until some other countries started to give a damn. As a result, we haven't taken home the Women's World Cup since '99.

2. The exact opposite is true in the men's game. We're late to the scene. The MLS is very young compared to the rest of the major soccer leagues around the world (English Premiership, Spanish Primera, German Bundesliga, etc.). We've improved over time thanks to resources and more of our players getting into European leagues, but we still have a LONG way to go to match up with the big boys.

The fact like we take a tie has some sort of accomplishment against a country that trots out worse athletes than we do...isnt something to hang our hate on imo. England is terrible.

We suck because our white genetics suck.

Every other race is better at sports than whitey.

We need to breed better white-stock so we can be more competitive.

Women, go find a nice dirty, filthy, poor hispanic (who is awesome at soccer) and start reproducing for your country!

:face:

Speaking of Jacksonville....I follow a fellow Pats fan on twitter. She just moved back to Boston from Jacksonville. I have never seen anyone rip a city as badly as she does. She hated Jacksonville. Has absolutley nothing good to say about it. If you went by her accounts, Jacksonville is the worst city in the country. She says she has nighmares about being back there. I have never been to Jacksonville...is it really that bad?

The fact like we take a tie has some sort of accomplishment against a country that trots out worse athletes than we do...isnt something to hang our hate on imo. England is terrible.

Its the birthplace of soccer. Its most definitely something to hang our hats on. If you think they don't have athletes, you haven't seen Wayne Rooney play.

Soccer directly competes with football at a young level. Kids obviously play soccer first...but a lot choose football over it. And down south, soccer isn't even an option really.

Actually, soccer is strong down south, particularly in the Carolinas and in Texas.

Archived