FREE AGENT dept. : Top 50 . . . . who should we go after ? ? ?

kelly

The Jets should go after their own free agents.

Agree with this, but there definitely is some talent out there which could be great fits for the Jets. For one, the Jets are in desperate need of a safety and there's some pretty damn good ones out there. I'd love it if the Jets could scoop up Weddle or Huff. And frankly, as much as I want Edwards and Holmes both back, I'd dump both their asses in a heartbeat if the Jets could get Rice. Even if not, if they lose one of the two picking up a guy like Moore, Smith, or even Floyd would be a decent replacement option (although I'd say "no thanks" to bringing Santana Moss back). Additionally, if the Jets are worried about starting Wilkerson from day one and don't retain Ellis, there's a number of decent 3-4 DL that will be on the market as well. The Jets definitely have plenty of incentive to be active in this pool once they've taken care of whichever of their own guys that they can.

For one, the Jets are in desperate need of a safety and there's some pretty damn good ones out there.

I don't think we're in "desperate" need of a safety. We could go to war with Leonhard and Lowery out there and be OK. Would I love to have a game-changing safety back there to hammer guys going over the middle and return back TD's? Of course. But we're not in horrible shape either.

I don't think we're in "desperate" need of a safety. We could go to war with Leonhard and Lowery out there and be OK. Would I love to have a game-changing safety back there to hammer guys going over the middle and return back TD's? Of course. But we're not in horrible shape either.

Leonhard is a decent player. His most value is knowledge of the system. Lowery has always talked about having the skillset to play safety, but hasn't really shown much of an ability to really compete there. I certainly wouldn't want the Jets to count on him as a starter and given Leonhard's limits, I think they need a better safety playing across from him. That said, given the success this defense has had with piss poor safeties, you're probably right that "desperate" is a bit too harsh of a term, I just think it's the one place that the Jets could easily get the biggest talent swing on the defense (perhaps the entire roster) with a simple FA signing (and not necessarily even one of the top guys). If Cromartie leaves and the team ends up counting on Wilson to step up or only gets a second-tier option at CB as replacement, that safety could become all that much more important. Also consider all it took was Revis being out of shape / getting injured and the entire secondary's turnover ability went down the sh*tter. A play-making safety could go a long way towards changing that.

Huff makes so much sense for this defense it's absurd. He's become one of the best cover safeties in the game and the dude can seriously blitz. He's suspect against the run, but who gives a sh*t, Rex isn't very reliant on his safeties for run coverage anyways. Pool was great in the playoffs, but the dude can't stay on the field. Wouldn't object to Mikell either.

Huff makes so much sense for this defense it's absurd. He's become one of the best cover safeties in the game and the dude can seriously blitz. He's suspect against the run, but who gives a sh*t, Rex isn't very reliant on his safeties for run coverage anyways. Pool was great in the playoffs, but the dude can't stay on the field. Wouldn't object to Mikell either.

Absolutely agree. Although he's not quite as gritty as Weddle.

A play-making safety could go a long way towards changing that.

Word. The absence of a legit, every-down playmaking safety is the difference between this defense being great and being historically great. Even in Baltimore, Rex never relied on a huge pass rush, so it's not like he's hamstrung by not having Lawrence Taylor here. But, not having his Ed Reed is a drag.

They are pretty desperate. Those two and Emanuel Cook are the only ones under contract. They'll have to bring somebody in, they might as well be good.

Huff would be great but I'm sure he will be looking to get paid and we have to many of our own free agents we have to worry about. Then again we do have Tanny so maybe he will work some magic

Chris Carr and Ray McDonald would be ok. The Jets don't need a splash move. They just need solid role players.

As far as great and Michael Huff. Those two words should never EVER be used in the same sentence, under any circumstance.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/28/watching-michael-huff-in-practice-made-warren-sapp-want-to-vomit/

Word. The absence of a legit, every-down playmaking safety is the difference between this defense being great and being historically great. Even in Baltimore, Rex never relied on a huge pass rush, so it's not like he's hamstrung by not having Lawrence Taylor here. But, not having his Ed Reed is a drag.

Or Ngata, Lewis, Suggs...

Or Ngata, Lewis, Suggs...

Cock. Look up how many total sacks Rex's Ravens defenses had and look up how many his Jets defenses had. The point being, he's going to get people to the QB regardless of the talent level of those people (not named Gholston). But, he hasn't been able to find a safety that works here. The other point being, f*ck you.

Cock. Look up how many total sacks Rex's Ravens defenses had and look up how many his Jets defenses had. The point being, he's going to get people to the QB regardless of the talent level of those people (not named Gholston). But, he hasn't been able to find a safety that works here. The other point being, f*ck you.

Hey penis, I'm always arguing that the pass rush for this D is made more important by douche's on this board. Thats the brilliance of Rex, he'll find away. And its not like we are awful at it, we were 8th in the league which was only 8 sacks behind the 1 team (Steelers).

We just lack a true pass rusher like Suggs.

Go F yourself.

Archived