BREAKING: Jets have agreed to terms with OL Wayne Hunter. per source. #nyj

F.Chowds

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Right tackle Wayne Hunter has reached agreement with the Jets on a 4-year deal, per person with direct knowledge of the agreement. That person requested anonymity because the deal cannot be made official until Friday.

Hunter, an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career, filled in admirably for Damien Woody late last season.

More coming.

Then Cimini Names the source lol

RichCimini Rich Cimini

#Jets have agreed to 4-yr deal with RT Wayne Hunter, his agent Ken Zuckerman confirmed. No terms yet. Looks like no return for Woody.

4 minutes ago

I like this a lot. I'm still betting that the Jets give Ducasse every last chance in the world to win that starting RT job, and we should all hope that he's able to do so, but this move helps make it so that right now the OL is no longer really a concern. Hunter played very well for the Jets late last year and between him and Ducasse they should be able to fill the starting RT / backup swing OT spots nicely and with Turner an RFA and a quality backup at all 3 interior line spots, the Jets can feel comfortable letting the younger guys they have and possibly some UDFAs battle it out for the last spot or two without too much worry.

BREAKING: Veteran free agent o-lineman Damien Woody is retiring, per source. #nyj #jets

Thanks big wood for your services u will be missed

Yeah, I was waiting for this. Sounds like Jets gave Woody the first shot at coming back, but likely on their terms. He was recently quoted as saying it was the Jets or nothing and I'm guessing they simply laid out their offer for him, which included a lower-value contract and having to compete with Ducasse for a starting gig, and when he passed they made Hunter a top priority. Extremely smart play if you ask me. I like how it's become clear that the Jets are moving very quickly on having alternate plans ready to go at all of their positions of need, much like the #2 CB position which has seen numerous reports of their simultaneous contact with, at the very least, Asomugha, Cromartie and Buchanon.

Yeah, I was waiting for this. Sounds like Jets gave Woody the first shot at coming back, but likely on their terms. He was recently quoted as saying it was the Jets or nothing and I'm guessing they simply laid out their offer for him, which included a lower-value contract and having to compete with Ducasse for a starting gig, and when he passed they made Hunter a top priority. Extremely smart play if you ask me. I like how it's become clear that the Jets are moving very quickly on having alternate plans ready to go at all of their positions of need, much like the #2 CB position which has seen numerous reports of their simultaneous contact with, at the very least, Asomugha, Cromartie and Buchanon.

There's really no other way to play it in this climate.

Again, that's why players themselves would be smart to take deals now that look to be at least fair. Holding out for the last dollar could result in being left holding the bag. The big money is going to be spent like it always is, but it's going to dry up faster, too, with a $120M cap looming over their heads.

This is good news. To me it's very surprising news. I thought Hunter played very well last year. I thought well enough that he would get a starting job somewhere. Didn't think the Jets could afford him with all the other stuff they have going on.

I hope this isn't some judgement on Ducasse. Should be interesting to see what kind of contract Hunter has, and if the Jets have an escape clause

Great move. He's obviously better than Ducasse with his great play last year, and hes got more experience in the big games. In my opinion Ducasse looks like he is better suited as a guard. I say this mainly because of his slow feet. Slower footed OL have trouble playing on the edges against the speed rushers. Possibly Moore's replacement in a few years.

Archived