Plaxico Burress will sign with the N.Y. Jets

F.Chowds

I'll see how I feel about this move after a couple of preseason games.

That's a fair assessment. Because if there's one logical way to judge a guy who just spent 2 years in the joint after playing in a completely different offense for the 4 years prior, it's off of how he performs after 3 weeks of NFL training in a preseason atmosphere on his new team.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a fair assessment. Because if there's one logical way to judge a guy who just spent 2 years in the joint after playing in a completely different offense for the 4 years prior, it's off of how he performs after 3 weeks of NFL training in a preseason atmosphere on his new team.

Better to throw 3 million dollars at it in blissful ignorance. amirite?

I've said it already, but this move is all about managing the cap for future seasons. A contract like this allows the Jets to now start talking with David Harris about an extension, possibly Cromartie - its all about next years cap.

It doesn't hurt that Plaxico at 80% is going to out-produce Braylon's numbers from this past season. All the WRs on teh market rigth now are asking for very costly deals, do you really want the Jets tied to Braylon, James Jones, Malcolm Floyd or any of these other bums for 4-5 years?

I like that we'll be able to go out and get ourselves the WR of our liking next year. Meanwhile, Plax is playing for the last long-term contract of his career... you thinks he's going to punk out? No way.

I hear all of this. It'd be an even better plan if the Jets had a WR they were developing on the roster already. If they're looking for a FA receiver next season, it's gonna be the same thing: A few guys who are too expensive, and a bunch of other guys they don't like as much.

I meant I want to see what he looks like on the field. We're basically signing someone who literally just walked off the street. How is that anymore of an assessment than a real game situation?

Forgive me for not really giving 2 sh*ts about a 34 year old WR who last played football 3 years ago.

I don't know. Not getting raped can probably motivate a man. Ask JiF.

If jif was in prison and not getting raped, he'd be mad at the lack of attention and jealous of other prison bitches

I hear all of this. It'd be an even better plan if the Jets had a WR they were developing on the roster already. If they're looking for a FA receiver next season, it's gonna be the same thing: A few guys who are too expensive, and a bunch of other guys they don't like as much.

Or, if he works out well, there is always the option of extending him. With no lockout looming, that actually is a possibility.

Bottom line is, it's just like the Holmes trade without costing any picks. Relatively cheap one-year tryout for what should be a highly motivated WR with great upside. The $3MM is really meaningless since there is no dead-money problem next season if they cut him.

Better to throw 3 million dollars at it in blissful ignorance. amirite?

It's not a bad idea. It's silly to think he can't still play. He's not that old for a WR and he's a genetic freak to boot. But I would have figured at least a 2-year deal. No chance he gets his stride back until at least week 12 or so. Always takes a while for a guy who just got out of the joint to get his bearings on the field again.

3 million dollar for 1 year of Plaxico busting his a$$ to earn what will be the final contract of his career... is much better than a 5 year, $40-50 million contract for someone like Braylon or James Jones. Extend David Harris now.

Come next year, we will have 90% of this team locked up on cap-friendly contracts, and will be able to target a stud in FA to replace Plaxico. THAT is what this whole move is about.

3 mill guaranteed is a lot of someone who has not stepped on the football field for 2 seasons.

Football is not a game where you can turn on a switch and just get back. And no matter how hard you work it is still a very uphill climb and the probability of making it is stacked against the player. And it will take time. A shortened training camp won't help either. Its a given he won't be a productive football player from the 1st game of the season.

And let's say if he is that rare player that fights all odds and does end up being productive ( I hope so now that he is on the JETS team) next year he will be gone to the higgest bidder.

This is definition of a high risk low reward move for the JETS. No way around it!!

I'm hoping Jets fans don't turn on Braylon and forget that he busted his a$$ for this team last season, and it sucks that Tannenbaum and Rex are treating him like a leper, but Plaxico might be a better fit here at the end of the day. I can't remember what corner it was a few years ago, but they asked him which receiver he hated covering the most. He said it was Plaxico because "he can go past you, through you and over you" on every play. Pretty cool player to have.

Let Braylon go sign a one-year deal with the Pats, put up 80/1,200/13 and then he'll get paid.

Right that was all before he shot himself in the foot....literally!

I would love to havethat guy on my team. But the guy we are getting right now has not stepped on a football field for ages!

I dunno. I'm worried. Plax has been off the field 2 years, I don't think he's going to be ready and be back into things till midway through the season. Very risky pickup, but based on the money it makes sense, and is a way better choice than Moss. I'm going to miss Edwards, however. I hope he gets a decent deal somewhere. One piece left in the puzzle and that's Cromartie.

Right that was all before he shot himself in the foot....literally!

I would love to havethat guy on my team. But the guy we are getting right now has not stepped on a football field for ages!

He's still 6'6", he's still physical, and he can still catch. If his speed went from 4.4 to 4.6, he'll still be decent, IMO.

He's still 6'6", he's still physical, and he can still catch. If his speed went from 4.4 to 4.6, he'll still be decent, IMO.

This. You're basically gambling 3 mill for a dude who'll be able to shed press coverage easily and handle NE's undersized corners at the end of the year. It's worth the risk.

This. You're basically gambling 3 mill for a dude who'll be able to shed press coverage easily and handle NE's undersized corners at the end of the year. It's worth the risk.

It's worth the 3 million but is it worth the risk of him being out of shape or getting hurt and having to play with ONE legit WR?

I'm hoping Jets fans don't turn on Braylon and forget that he busted his a$$ for this team last season, and it sucks that Tannenbaum and Rex are treating him like a leper, but Plaxico might be a better fit here at the end of the day. I can't remember what corner it was a few years ago, but they asked him which receiver he hated covering the most. He said it was Plaxico because "he can go past you, through you and over you" on every play. Pretty cool player to have.

Let Braylon go sign a one-year deal with the Pats, put up 80/1,200/13 and then he'll get paid.

somewhere Big Al From NY is jumping for joy-where's Thor at-he'll remember Big Al calling in some radio show asking Al Groh about trading his whole draft class for Plaxico

3 mill guaranteed is a lot of someone who has not stepped on the football field for 2 seasons.

Football is not a game where you can turn on a switch and just get back. And no matter how hard you work it is still a very uphill climb and the probability of making it is stacked against the player. And it will take time. A shortened training camp won't help either. Its a given he won't be a productive football player from the 1st game of the season.

And let's say if he is that rare player that fights all odds and does end up being productive ( I hope so now that he is on the JETS team) next year he will be gone to the higgest bidder.

This is definition of a high risk low reward move for the JETS. No way around it!!

Plax' game is pretty much just being a big target. He didn't lose any size in prison. I'm sure he lifted a couple weights while he was there. Now he's got six weeks to learn the Jets playbook, and get into football shape. He's probably more motivated than he's ever been if he wants to get paid beyond this year. I think the signs point to a decent season from him.

Given the options left on the table, this isn't a terrible one.

And next year he'll be 34 years old. If he has huge money offers coming his way then, I guess that will meant that he had a great season here.

Archived