Tom Moore = Best acquisition of the offseason.

Integrity28

Jets get wisdom from former Colts guru Tom Moore

Tight end Dustin Keller stood huddled with his position coach on a Florham Park practice field this morning, focused on the soft-speaking, white-haired man next to them. The man wore white tube socks up his calves — which proves he’s old school, coach Rex Ryan says — and gave an impromptu lesson based on five decades of coaching experience.

Tom Moore, the longtime Colts offensive coordinator, has joined the Jets this season as an offensive consultant, and his work has started this week.

In three days, Keller counted “one or two million” tips he’s learned — on protections, on route-running, on how fellow tight end Dallas Clark became such a force for the Indianapolis offense.

“I know he came in to help the offense in general,” Keller said, “but I think it’s going to be more beneficial for me than anybody.”

As the Jets work to get over the AFC Championship hump, improving the efficiency of their offense is one of their objectives — and Ryan and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer have not been shy about opening up their team to the experience and insight of others.

The high-performing offensive line benefitted last year from the input of consultant Jim McNally, a well-respected NFL line coach for nearly 30 years. That initiative suggested by assistant head coach Bill Callahan helped spur this year’s hiring of Moore, 72 — one of the guest coaches the Jets flew in during the NFL lockout.

The intent is not for the offensive coaches to be overshadowed or change their philosophy, but rather, for experienced minds to bring the different perspectives that help very good teams get even better. As the Jets have begun to install their offense over the past few days, veteran right guard Brandon Moore said he’s noticed a few new wrinkles.

“There are some things that our coaches saw, that they corrected,” Moore said. “But there’s also some pieces that we’ve added to our offense, that you can tell are from outside. You ask somebody, ‘Where did that come from?’ and they’ll say, ‘Coach Moore or Jim McNally or whomever else.’”

The offense has designated two target areas for improvement: scoring in the red zone, and third-down conversions.

Last year, the Jets scored only 20 touchdowns in 50 trips inside the opponents’ 20-yard line — and most notably stalled on four straight plays inside the Steelers’ 2-yard line in their AFC Championship Game loss. Their third-down conversion rate during the regular season was 40 percent, ranked in the middle of the league.

When Moore visited Florham Park during the lockout, he gave a presentation on red-zone efficiency, something at which his Colts offenses always excelled. He was one of many guests including former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, former Bucs coach Jon Gruden, former NFL running backs coach Bobby Jackson and former receiver Isaac Bruce, who is at camp for a few days as a guest of receivers coach Henry Ellard.

Moore views his role with the Jets as an “observer.” He wanted to stay active in coaching, quoting the saying, “If you’re not careful, you rust out before you burn out, and I don’t want to rust out.” He consulted for the Colts in 2010, but said he wasn’t very involved and “it was time for a change.”

Moore said other teams were interested, but he wanted to be a part of the Jets. He respects the organization, he said, and called Mark Sanchez “a very special quarterback.” He expects to spend much of his time at his home in Hilton Head, S.C., scouring tape and scouting upcoming opponents.

With an eye on the Jets hurdling the AFC Championship Game after two straight losses, Ryan is hungry for “fresh ideas,” and so are his players.

“(Former Jets coach Eric) Mangini used to bring in a guy here and there, but it was never on this scale,” Brandon Moore said. “Looking back at film, there are certain situations that come up where you say, if we had that or this, it could be the difference in a touchdown here or a win there. It definitely will be able to help us in that regard.”

LINK

Seems like EVERYONE is benefiting from his presence, or at least should. Schotty, Keller... all of them will be better off. Loved his comments about Sanchez too...

Lots of great stuff to read, and I think it's pretty cool of Keller to say he thinks this can be a bigger help for him than any other player. At the very least that shows some initiative on his part, which is always great to see. This is also the first I've heard of Isaac Bruce being one of the guys who came in, maybe he can teach the Jets WRs to catch with their hands and not their bodies since clearly Ellard can't.

Maybe we can find an OC position for him.

I'm tired of silly strategies like:

-Show run, then run - because they'll think we're faking, and never guess we'd run and that we're faking our fakes.

Resulting in: "Greene..for about a yard."

Pretty sad when a troll like yourself can only post to ridicule other posters.

It's pretty sad you're allowed to post on a NYJETS messageboard. Get over yourself, you tend to act like you never make any stupid comments (you do) and when you get made fun of people become trolls. No one looks to you as the source of all football knowledge so I'd say you're fair game to get made fun of, just like everyone else here.

It's pretty sad you're allowed to post on a NYJETS messageboard. Get over yourself, you tend to act like you never make any stupid comments (you do) and when you get made fun of people become trolls. No one looks to you as the source of all football knowledge so I'd say you're fair game to get made fun of, just like everyone else here.

Point proven THANK YOU :D And what goes around comes around Pee-Wee.

Archived