Is this a Super Bowl team?

CrazyCarl40

When Sanchez got to call the play that won the playoff game against Indy, he threw to Holmes?

If you don't think Plaxico can make that exact same play in his sleep after 2 years off your weren't paying attention to the Packers game in 07, unless 2 years of jail takes inches off your height (Plaxico is almost 3" taller than BE). Also by the time playoffs start Plax and Mark will have 16 games under their belt by then, not worried.

There is WAAAAAAAAY too much being made out of this bolded statement. The point he was making is that the Patriots lost 3 games all of last year, and 2 of them were to the Jets. There's no doubt that the Pats losing more games would make the Jets lives easier, so of course he'd like for it to happen, there's nothing more to it than that. He certainly didn't make a big deal out of it or try to use it as any sort of excuse, it's just reality though. After all, you DO realize that the Patriots needed "other teams" help to win the division last year, right? After all, they only beat the Jets once and lost to them once, and then lost one other game. If no other team in the league beat the Jets, the Jets win the division. 99% of the time in the NFL, when a team wins a division, they had a little bit of help from some other teams beating their division rivals. The only way that doesn't happen is if a team wins all of it's division matchups and loses no more than 2 of its games all season.

I knew that was a tongue-in-cheek statement by Rex. But it struck a nerve in me. I'm sick and tired of seeing the Jets end up number 2 among 4 teams. I'd rather see the Jets pick up their game, play consistently and win more games than hope the Pats lose more games. Who knows what would have happened last year if the Jets didn't lay an egg against the Ravens, Packers, Dolphags??

The offense had more let downs than the defense last year, so let's hope Sanchez & Co. bring it this year.

Peace out!

I knew that was a tongue-in-cheek statement by Rex. But it struck a nerve in me. I'm sick and tired of seeing the Jets end up number 2 among 4 teams. I'd rather see the Jets pick up their game, play consistently and win more games than hope the Pats lose more games. Who knows what would have happened last year if the Jets didn't lay an egg against the Ravens, Packers, Dolphags??

The offense had more let downs than the defense last year, so let's hope Sanchez & Co. bring it this year.

Peace out!

This I can all absolutely agree with. I just have seen a lot of people really blasting Rex for this comment, and like I said, I thought a little much was taken of it. That said, no excuses, the Jets should win every single game all year if that's what it takes to win it all. :-P

Holmes, Keller and Tomlinson are back. That's not quite as bad as you make it sound. For whatever reason, Sanchez never really got into a groove with Cotchery (yes, there was the one incredible play, but come on) so I don't think Mason is going to be a 'downgrade' by much if at all. Smith was a non-factor in Sanchez' development. That leaves Edwards. I do think that's a concern, and have no idea if Plax will be able to create the same connection that BE seemed to for Sanchez, but now we're talking about one single player. Every team faces that. Hell, Manning and Brady turn delivery-men into star WRs every year it seems (Wes Welker...really? *grin*).

Like Slats said....this season is all about Sanchez. It's his time to rise up and lead this offense. It's not like he doesn't still have a great O-Line and some very capable receiving targets.

Keller played well the first 5 games last year then dissapeared. LT hit his usual brick wall late in the season and Holmes is inconsistent but some what of a big play threat. That does not make me real happy right now.

Now when it comes to Sanchez I love the kid and I think he can light it up. I think his OC is an idiot and I would be willing to put it on his shoulders if we went out and got a true number 1 WR but we didnt. We got him 2 old men that have to learn the offense and then we have to hope they have something left in the tank come playoff time thats scary. I can get real deep into why i feel Shotty has a negative effect on Sanchez and his completion percentage but Im just not in the mood to go down that road right now.

This is all about the QB, you give the QB a stud O-line check, top 5 running game check, 1-2 playmakers check, a ST's unit that will help you more often than hurt you check, and a top 5 defense (remember Leohnard missed all of the playoffs last year no Ropati, 2 monster rookies, not to mention Strickland being an upgrade over Coleman, oh and Wilson having a year of experience under his belt) check.

This puts everything on Sanchez. Name Phillip Rivers WR's last year, who thinks Blair White, and Jacob Tamme would be known without Peyton Manning, and yes who would know Julian Edelman if Tom Brady wasn't throwing the football. Donald Driver is 40, James Jones is not that good, Jordy Nelson would be a nobody on 80% of NFL teams, can u name the Packers TE or RB last year, no Aaron Rodgers hides all that by taking the next step.

In conclusion of my over blown hammering home my point, there is more than enough on this Jets roster to give Sanchez the opportunity to take the Jets to the next level, it's all on him like it or not.

This is all about the QB, you give the QB a stud O-line check, top 5 running game check, 1-2 playmakers check, a ST's unit that will help you more often than hurt you check, and a top 5 defense (remember Leohnard missed all of the playoffs last year no Ropati, 2 monster rookies, not to mention Strickland being an upgrade over Coleman, oh and Wilson having a year of experience under his belt) check.

This puts everything on Sanchez. Name Phillip Rivers WR's last year, who thinks Blair White, and Jacob Tamme would be known without Peyton Manning, and yes who would know Julian Edelman if Tom Brady wasn't throwing the football. Donald Driver is 40, James Jones is not that good, Jordy Nelson would be a nobody on 80% of NFL teams, can u name the Packers TE or RB last year, no Aaron Rodgers hides all that by taking the next step.

In conclusion of my over blown hammering home my point, there is more than enough on this Jets roster to give Sanchez the opportunity to take the Jets to the next level, it's all on him like it or not.

Exactly. I can't understand all the drama when this is all it comes down to. If Sanchez takes the next step then we have MORE than enough as a team to be a SB contender,.

While I agree with your premise, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Sanchez might need just a little more help from his receivers than Rivers, Manning, Brady or Rodgers. You know, considering those guys are 4 of the best 5 or so QBs in the league.

While I agree with your premise, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Sanchez might need just a little more help from his receivers than Rivers, Manning, Brady or Rodgers. You know, considering those guys are 4 of the best 5 or so QBs in the league.

Those guys also don't have Schotty to overcome.

Lets see

Brad Smith gone - replaced by Kerley = upgrade

Braylon Edwards gone - replaced by Plax = upgrade

Cotch gone - replaced by Mason = upgrade

Drew Coleman gone - replaced by Strickland = upgrade

Woody gone - replaced by Hunter - updgrade

The Jets defense is younger up front and returning their entire starting defense from a year ago. The Jets offense is locked up front long term, Sanchez is in year 3, and we have 3 1000 yard WR's/#1's, 2 of which have caught game winning SB TD's.

Yes, the Jets are a SB team because they are better than last season.

I respect ur analysis jif, but can you really call a 5rd rookie and a guy that hasn't played ball in 2yrs with a sprained ankle already an upgrade to what we had before?

Did mason sign already?

JiF must have gotten an early start on the weekend. That was a definite case of PUI (posting under the influence).

I respect ur analysis jif, but can you really call a 5rd rookie and a guy that hasn't played ball in 2yrs with a sprained ankle already an upgrade to what we had before?

Did mason sign already?

Brad Smith was once a 4th round pick. He was a QB who had to learn a new position. He didnt start returning kicks, until Leon got hurt. Kerley is a natural WR, who returned kicks in college too. He caught TD's, ran for a TD, threw for a TD, and had a punt return and kick off return in college. He's Smith, without the learning curve, who's actually a true WR option. J-Co was a 4th rounder too ya know.

My take on Plax and I'm sure I'm sounding like a broken record now is two folds 1) 80% of him is better than a 100% of Edwards. 2) if Mike Williams can go from HUGE bust, to out of the league for 3 years, get up to 300lbs, and then make a return to the league and be Seattle's best WR...Plax will be just fine

Mason has not signed, but I'm sure they'll find someone that can take Cotch's place. 4 mil for a 3rd WR is too much money when you are giving up mega contracts to your core/future.

Lets see

Brad Smith gone - replaced by Kerley = upgrade

Braylon Edwards gone - replaced by Plax = upgrade

Cotch gone - replaced by Mason = upgrade

Drew Coleman gone - replaced by Strickland = upgrade

Woody gone - replaced by Hunter - updgrade

The Jets defense is younger up front and returning their entire starting defense from a year ago. The Jets offense is locked up front long term, Sanchez is in year 3, and we have 3 1000 yard WR's/#1's, 2 of which have caught game winning SB TD's.

Yes, the Jets are a SB team because they are better than last season.

How do you know any of those are upgrades until they actually take the field. You can hope upon hope that they are, but until they match or exceed what those players did last year or in their career, you have no idea.

Add in Drew Brees, and Big Ben who are also in the category if elite QB's.

Who was the last QB to win a superbowl who didn't have those last names, my point being you have to take that next step at QB to become elite to win the superbowl.

Oh and by the way our #1 and #2 WR's caught game winning TD's in 2 if the last 4 SB's.

How do you know any of those are upgrades until they actually take the field. You can hope upon hope that they are, but until they match or exceed what those players did last year or in their career, you have no idea.

Cant I just spin this and say...."How do you know they are downgrades until they actually take the field".

Isnt this all speculation? Whats so wrong about mine? I'm giving my opinion justifying it with what I think is logic. You may disagree and thats fine, but I just see this all as positives (which is rare since I'm usually quite the opposite).

Cant I just spin this and say...."How do you know they are downgrades until they actually take the field".

Isnt this all speculation? Whats so wrong about mine? I'm giving my opinion justifying it with what I think is logic. You may disagree and thats fine, but I just see this all as positives (which is rare since I'm usually quite the opposite).

I just think you're expecting a bit much from a 5th rounder, a guy just getting out of prison, and a 37year old who hasn't signed yet.

I think Strickland if he's healthy is an upgrade. I hope Turner is an upgrade too because the Jets need that line to be rock solid.

You guys forget that Mason is a seasoned vet, and a locker room leader. He will definitely helped with Sanchez' development. Plax will as well cuz he's so damn big and powerful, especially in the red zone.

We still don't even know if Mason's signed yet, but if he is, that's a definite upgrade.

Keller played well the first 5 games last year then dissapeared. LT hit his usual brick wall late in the season and Holmes is inconsistent but some what of a big play threat. That does not make me real happy right now.

Now when it comes to Sanchez I love the kid and I think he can light it up. I think his OC is an idiot and I would be willing to put it on his shoulders if we went out and got a true number 1 WR but we didnt. We got him 2 old men that have to learn the offense and then we have to hope they have something left in the tank come playoff time thats scary. I can get real deep into why i feel Shotty has a negative effect on Sanchez and his completion percentage but Im just not in the mood to go down that road right now.

who are these "2" old men you speak of?

I just think you're expecting a bit much from a 5th rounder, a guy just getting out of prison, and a 37year old who hasn't signed yet.

I think Strickland if he's healthy is an upgrade. I hope Turner is an upgrade too because the Jets need that line to be rock solid.

hunter not turner

Archived