Hayden Smith Expect to make impact

flgreen

Former rugby player Smith expects to make bigger impact in second year with Jets
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Posted: 3:58 PM, May 20, 2013

A year ago, Hayden Smith barely knew how to buckle his chinstrap. The Jets tight end was playing football for the first time in his life. A year later, Smith believes he’s ready to actually contribute.

“There was a lot thrown on my plate,” Smith, 28, said last week of his rookie year. “I came from a situation where I knew football from an armchair perspective and nothing more than that and to come straight into the NFL there is a lot that gets put on your plate very quickly. It was overwhelming at times. You had to try to break down the most important bits and relate that and become comfortable with that. Most of that really has sunk in now. I’m in a much more comfortable spot.”

Smith, who is from Australia, played rugby in England but had never played football at any level before joining the Jets last year. He saw action in five games in 2012, mostly on special teams, and had one catch.

As he enters his second season, Smith said he is able to focus on the playbook and not figuring out the rules of football.

“It’s not even close,” Smith said. “The main thing is not having to learn about the game of football and actually being able to concentrate on learning the offense. It takes a lot off your plate. It definitely allows things to be a lot slower and come to you a lot quicker.”

The Jets are extremely thin at tight end, creating a chance for Smith. After letting Dustin Keller go to the Dolphins, the Jets have Jeff Cumberland, Konrad Reuland and Smith as the guys with the most experience at the position.

Smith recognizes he has a better chance to play this year, but is not looking at it like that.

“I’ve got to approach it the same way I did last year and that was just to get better every day,” he said. “I need to continue to get better than I am today tomorrow and give myself the best chance really to compete for a position. There’s obviously opportunity there. It’s just a matter of what you do with that opportunity.”

The Jets fired offensive c

oordinator Tony Sparano after the season, replacing him with Marty Mornhinweg, giving Smith his second NFL offense to learn. Mornhinweg’s West Coast system has a big role for tight ends, something that has Smith excited.

“I’ve really enjoyed it,” Smith said of learning the new system. “Whether it’s me being more comfortable with football in general or Marty’s offense, I’ve found it a light year’s difference to my experience last year. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. I really enjoy the offense itself as do all the guys.”

Read more: Former rugby player Smith expects to make bigger impact in second year with Jets http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/former_rugby_player_smith_expects_5JxK3tGaJUYPPDHikFBx8M#ixzz2Ts5hENd8

He got playing time at the end of last year which was unexpected.  Quite the learning curve though playing football for the first time at the NFL level.  It will be interesting to watch him at the beginning of camp.  Still seems like it is a long shot though that he can contribute.

Archived