Although on a reduced role, Geno is still growing

shhwagah

As NY Jets start to run, rookie QB Geno Smith grows The Jets beat the Patriots and Saints with the ground game, rushing for 177 and 198 yards in those wins respectively. BY SETH WALDER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2013, 6:07 PM
SHARE THIS URL:

jets-patriots.jpg COREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS  

Rookie QB Geno Smith is taking advantage of an improved running game for surging Jets.

A mere two months ago, the story of the Bills-Jets showdown at MetLife Stadium centered on two rookie quarterbacks on struggling teams that hoped each would become the new face of the franchise. It was about EJ Manuel, who surprisingly had been drafted before Geno Smith, and which quarterback would win the first of what most assumed would be many battles.

Fast forward from that 27-20 Jets victory, after which each squad has taken quite divergent paths. The Bills (3-7) lost Manuel for four games, three of which they lost, on the way to what appears to be another lost season in Buffalo. The Jets have taken the more preferable road, to 5-4, on the back of their defense and with the up-and-down Smith, who has both won and lost games for the Jets.

Gang Green’s big wins of late have come mostly as a result of what they’ve done on the ground. Interestingly, Bilal Powell feels that Smith has had a direct hand in that.

“Geno, of course, making great checks,” says Powell of what has helped the run game. “He does a great job with (them) him and of course Nick Mangold making great calls out there. He puts us in the best position. Geno, man, it’s crazy how much he’s grown from day one to now.”

RELATED: MEHTA: RICHARDSON'S PLAY ON 'D' MATCHES HIS BRAVADO

Running backs coach Anthony Lynn concurred with Powell.

“Geno’s done an outstanding job with that for a young quarterback. We don’t ask him to do a whole lot, but what we do ask him to do he’s handled well,” says Lynn. “There have been times when defenses have had us dead to rights. He gets us into a better situation. That’s what good quarterbacks do.”

The Jets beat the Patriots and Saints with the ground game, rushing for 177 and 198 yards in those wins respectively. Sunday’s contest against the Bills, on paper, looks set up for another big day running the football.

jets-v-new-orleans-saints.jpg ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Chris Ivory is a big reason the Jets will able to beat the Saints and move into the playoff picture.

Though the last time these two teams played, Smith delivered 331 passing yards, the Bills were missing cornerback Stephon Gilmore and safety Jairus Byrd with injuries and lost cornerback Leodis McKelvin during the game. Because of that, the Jets may be more inclined to stick to limiting Smith’s throwing chances in an attempt to keep turnovers in check.

RELATED: INSIDE THE PLAYBOOK: JETS (5-4) AT BILLS (3-7)

The Jets ran the ball 61% of the time against the Patriots and 64% against the Saints.

“We lost some skill guys. It was forced, almost, to do a little bit more (running) at least,” says Marty Mornhinweg of the team’s tendencies of late. “We’ll continue to try to keep people off balance.”

The Bills are ranked 22nd in the league in run defense, though Powell said he thinks they’ve been improving lately. Lynn, too, wasn’t buying that run defense is a weakness for Buffalo.

“That defense has been on the field a lot,” he says. “Personnel-wise they have some of the best talent we’ve seen all year.”

The running back that’s shouldered most of the load in recent weeks has been Chris Ivory. Against New England and New Orleans, the running back was what the Jets hoped for when they dealt a fourth-round pick for him in the offseason. The key for Ivory, who was banged up earlier in the year, is quite simple, Lynn says.

“Chris has been healthy,” says Lynn. “When he’s healthy, he’s going to play. Him and Bilal, I’m going to use them (as) a 1-2 punch.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-start-run-rookie-qb-smith-grows-article-1.1519354#ixzz2krrBJp1g

tl;dr:

the jets are doingtheir best to hide geno smith, kinda like mark sanchez

Then you may have missed this quote:

“We lost some skill guys. It was forced, almost, to do a little bit more (running) at least,” says Marty Mornhinweg of the team’s tendencies of late. “We’ll continue to try to keep people off balance.”

Like Sanchez, Geno's had no weaponz. Hopefully the return of Holmes and Winslow doesn't result in the return of the multi-pick game.

Then you may have missed this quote:

Like Sanchez, Geno's had no weaponz. Hopefully the return of Holmes and Winslow doesn't result in the return of the multi-pick game.

well he's certainly not going to say, "we are trying to minimize geno's impact on the game".

we will see. i could be wrong, and hopefully i am. but i don't think geno is the long term answer

Winslow and Cumberland will be huge this game! Keep Geno on the 10 - 15 yard seam routes, dump offs to Bilal, WR screens to Salas/Holmes (huge against NO) and let him take a chance on 2 deep "Go" routes to either Holmes or Hill. Other than those 20 -25 safe passes to keep the "D" honest, pound the Rock with Ivory and a couple of Cribbs wildcat plays sprinkled in  to give Geno a break from the pressure.

Bills are certainly gonna' stack the box and make Geno beat them, with several blitzes. " Trap game"  Very confident yesterday, but now that game time approaches, starting to get that uneasy feeling.

It will all come down to Marty's play calling(keeping us out of 3rd and long) and the offensive line play. Marty will keep Geno on a short leash.... this game's too important. 6-4 vs. 5-5 is huge.

Having the "D" set us up with good field position will be a bonus. Don't see us marching down the field on many 80 yard drives.... Fok needs to stay perfect.

I know this is obvious stuff..... but typing it  helps me deal with the nervousness/excitement.

Go Jets!!!

imo, I've put a hold on judging Geno's progress after the Atlanta game, once Winslow went out along with Holmes, it became clear that he just didn't have enough skill players to even properly evaluate him at this point. He wouldn't be at a point where I expect him to make other players better yet, I just want to see how he plays with the players he SHOULD have, and he has seldom had them healthy or available all season. But now with Cumberland and Winslow and Holmes back, and with the emergence of Nelson I'm going to start evaluating him more in spite of him missing Kerley.

I don't think he needs to be hidden like Sanchez, he's shown that when his guys have a chance to get open he will get them the ball, and when they are open he has been very accurate down field. It's just like the Pittsburgh game though, no one was getting open, so how can you expect him to make plays? Geno is closer to what we saw in the New England game than what we saw in the Bengals game, all I know at this point.

imo, I've put a hold on judging Geno's progress after the Atlanta game, once Winslow went out along with Holmes, it became clear that he just didn't have enough skill players to even properly evaluate him at this point. He wouldn't be at a point where I expect him to make other players better yet, I just want to see how he plays with the players he SHOULD have, and he has seldom had them healthy or available all season. But now with Cumberland and Winslow and Holmes back, and with the emergence of Nelson I'm going to start evaluating him more in spite of him missing Kerley.

I don't think he needs to be hidden like Sanchez, he's shown that when his guys have a chance to get open he will get them the ball, and when they are open he has been very accurate down field. It's just like the Pittsburgh game though, no one was getting open, so how can you expect him to make plays? Geno is closer to what we saw in the New England game than what we saw in the Bengals game, all I know at this point.

i don't necessarily blame him for the bengals game. yeah he was bad....but the defense was worse

Geno is closer to what we saw in the New England game than what we saw in the Bengals game, all I know at this point.

This.

7 more games to help Geno develop and mature. 7 more games to learn how to audible into the right play based on the "D" and protecting the ball!

If he peaks at the right time, & Reed helps stem the bleeding in our secondary and we get into the playoffs, we could be a dangerous team that no one wants to play.

"On any given Sunday"..... right??

tl;dr:

the jets are doingtheir best to hide geno smith, kinda like mark sanchez

Did you read about Geno making important checks in running plays? Even though he's not throwing the ball as much (injuries have something to do with it) he's still making good presnap reads. He's not slouching in the classroom. I think it will come together for him. 

Did you read about Geno making important checks in running plays? Even though he's not throwing the ball as much (injuries have something to do with it) he's still making good presnap reads. He's not slouching in the classroom. I think it will come together for him. 

hey....just because i don't believe doesn't mean i don't want him to be the real deal. if he is this team is lookng really good going forward. i'd love to be wrong on this one

Yeah I agree. Not only that, but his WR "help" is constantly being switched in and out through injury/suspension. I'm holding judgement. I think his arrow will point up at the end of this season and after next years training camp we will see a big leap.

Reading this article reminded me of the rookie camp story where Geno took advantage of an out of position linebacker and made an audible before they taught him the audible calls. I thought that was smart and ballsy. 

Those are some good things I've seen, but I've also seen some bad things. I'm going to hold off judging the kid.

hey....just because i don't believe doesn't mean i don't want him to be the real deal. if he is this team is lookng really good going forward. i'd love to be wrong on this one

We all WANT him to be great. I'm just saying some people see his potential even when his mistakes are way more obvious.

I am a little concerned about Geno.  Not just picks, those happen, but those brain lock moments  like the pick 6 against the Pats. He has had a couple of throws this year where he could see disaster in front of him and threw it anyway.  Not all resulted in picks. But that was just luck.  I don't know, I call it the "Tony Romo Inevitable Bad Pick," syndrome.  Hopefully, it will pass (no pun intended)

Earlier in the season people were whining that we were throwing too much and costing ourselves game(s) - Pats game - by letting our rookie QB sling it.  Now we're going to whine that we're adjusting to our circumstances and running more with a poor man's Marshawn Lynch?  Please.

With the weather turning colder it only makes sense to run the ball more.  If it results in more wins that get us to the postseason, no complaints here.

well he's certainly not going to say, "we are trying to minimize geno's impact on the game".

we will see. i could be wrong, and hopefully i am. but i don't think geno is the long term answer

I brought up the same thing after the NO game. I don't want them to put him in a box, with his primary goal being not to make a mistake. I think that was a major mistake in the alleged development of Mark Sanchez. I hope with the return of a couple NFL quality receivers that he has the opportunity to run more of the type of offense that Mornhinweg wants to run. I guess we'll see. I'm not sold on Geno yet, and I'm not convinced the Jets are, either. All the more reason to put the ball in his hands down the stretch, IMHO, rather than try to get into the playoffs despite him.

Earlier in the season people were whining that we were throwing too much and costing ourselves game(s) - Pats game - by letting our rookie QB sling it.  Now we're going to whine that we're adjusting to our circumstances and running more with a poor man's Marshawn Lynch?  Please.

With the weather turning colder it only makes sense to run the ball more.  If it results in more wins that get us to the postseason, no complaints here.

+1

I brought up the same thing after the NO game. I don't want them to put him in a box, with his primary goal being not to make a mistake. I think that was a major mistake in the alleged development of Mark Sanchez. I hope with the return of a couple NFL quality receivers that he has the opportunity to run more of the type of offense that Mornhinweg wants to run. I guess we'll see. I'm not sold on Geno yet, and I'm not convinced the Jets are, either. All the more reason to put the ball in his hands down the stretch, IMHO, rather than try to get into the playoffs despite him.

i agree. see what the kid has before the offseason. don't hide him and then be left with even more questions

i agree. see what the kid has before the offseason. don't hide him and then be left with even more questions

Now that he has some of his weaponz back, if we're still hiding him because he can't make plays without a good running game, then we know we'll need a QB in the draft anyways.  So what's the problem?  YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

Now that he has some of his weaponz back, if we're still hiding him because he can't make plays without a good running game, then we know we'll need a QB in the draft anyways.  So what's the problem?  YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

but we do have a decent running game. so thats cant be an excuse anyway

looks like i was right. he is brutal out there. this is so much worse than sanchez's rookie year

Archived