offensive coordinator - chan gailey ~ ~ ~

kelly

The mystery man of the New York Jets' offseason is offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who returns to the NFL after two years out of coaching.Thomas Chandler Gailey Jr., 63, has been around the league for the better part of 30 years, so it's not like he's an unknown. Far from it. But since his hiring in January -- a curious choice by Todd Bowles because they've never worked together -- we haven't heard too much about Gailey's specific plans for the Jets' offense. Mostly, Bowles and the players have talked in generalities.As for Gailey, he has yet to address the media in an official capacity. He spoke informally last week at David Harris' charity golf outing in New Jersey, but it was mostly small talk, no X's and O's.When Chan Gailey was coach of the Buffalo Bills, he ran a spread offense. 

On Wednesday, the coordinators will be made available for the first time to the media after the second OTA (organized team activities) practice, so maybe we'll get a better understanding of Gailey's vision for the Jets. He's vital to the success of the team because, as everybody knows, it could hinge on the play of the quarterbacks, Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Gailey's No. 1 job is to get more out of Smith than Marty Mornhinweg did.

In his previous job, head coach of the Buffalo Bills from 2010 to 2012, Gailey ran a spread offense, so popular in today's college game. Bowles was asked recently if that's the main reason he hired Gailey."Actually, no," Bowles said. "What appealed to me was when he was at Pittsburgh (1994-97), he was able to run the football. When he was at Georgia Tech (2002-07), he was able to run the football. Obviously, the passing game he had speaks for itself, so that makes him a balanced coordinator, which was more what I was looking for."

Bowles is a defensive-minded coach, and like most defensive-minded coaches (see: Rex Ryan), he prefers a balanced, ball-control offense. Reading the tea leaves, Gailey will try to accomplish that by combining his old Pittsburgh Steelers' rushing scheme with the spread passing elements he employed in Buffalo. That's easier said than done, of course.

If Gailey leans toward the Buffalo system, the Jets will be wide open from a formation standpoint, eschewing the basic tenets of power football. Here's a closer look at Gailey's personnel-package tendencies from the 2010 to 2012 seasons (covering 2,989 offensive snaps), per ESPN Stats & Information :

Four wide receivers -- 586 snaps. League rank: First.

Three wide receivers -- 1,669 snaps. Rank: Fifth.

Shotgun -- 1,643 snaps. Rank: Third.

Two backs -- 616 snaps. Rank: 24th.

Two tight ends -- 341 snaps. Rank: 32nd.

A few takeaways on these stats: The extensive shotgun use bodes well for Smith, who came from a shotgun-based offense at West Virginia. Of course, the same could be said for Fitzpatrick, who enjoyed his most productive seasons playing for Gailey in Buffalo. The emphasis on wide receivers over tight ends will be interesting to follow, considering the Jets have two capable tight ends -- Jeff Cumberland and Jace Amaro. With the additions of Brandon Marshall, DeVier Posey and rookie Devin Smith, the receiving corps should be deep enough to run plenty of three- and four-receiver packages. Clearly, this illustrates a one-back system, so the fullback role (Tommy Bohanon) could be minimal. But that wouldn't be unique to the Jets.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51414/trying-to-project-chan-gaileys-vision-for-new-york-jets-offense

interesting.  given all the 4 wr sets, posey may actually contribute.

Also explains why getting a solid # 2 TE wasn't really a big priority.  No one uses fewer 2-TE sets than Gailey, it seems.  Of course, that may not include times where the TE was split out like a WR.

Also explains why getting a solid # 2 TE wasn't really a big priority.  No one uses fewer 2-TE sets than Gailey, it seems.  Of course, that may not include times where the TE was split out like a WR.

and all the 1 rb sets - probably will rotate them all. amazing that the jets can put 4 good wrs on the field.

Interesting that Bowles sites his work 20 years ago and his work at Georgia Tech 10 years ago as opposed to his work with the Bills offense.   Both of those team were very run heavy - 60/40 and close to 65/35 some years.   You would think that would lead into more of everyone's favorite ground and pound.  I guess the key here is balance.  Which makes sense when you look at the moves they made this offseason...WR's and RB's along with Fitz.

WR sets vs. TE sets are interesting.  That actually fits our personnel well.  Both the TE's are more out of the joker mold than anything else.  And with B.Marsh, Decker, Kerley and Smith...he has the tools to run those 4 wide sets.  The amount of shotgun snaps is also interesting and obviously should help Geno.  But those numbers were from Buffalo and Bowles is siting his previous work.  I'm probably looking way to much into a small little piece and one quote but it's definitely going to be interesting to see how this shakes out and what will be the true identity of the offense.  

more from our " O " dept. -

~ ~ -- You knew the New York Jets were leaning toward Geno Smith when Todd Bowles said at the NFL owners meetings in March that Smith would go into training camp as the No. 1 quarterback, ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick. What we didn't know then -- and what we discovered Wednesday -- is that the quarterback decision never was a decision. It was a no-brainer. The new regime determined in early March, perhaps earlier, that Smith is The Guy.

So we ponder the question: Are these guys suckers or do they honestly believe Smith will play better for them than the previous staff ?

Frankly, I think it's a mistake. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It should be an open competition, Smith versus Fitzpatrick.While Geno Smith has been handed the starting job, the Jets are hedging their bet more than in the past.Yes, Smith has a higher ceiling than Fitzpatrick, an overachieving journeyman, but Smith hasn't accumulated enough pelts (to borrow a Bill Parcells phrase) to be handed the starting job in the spring. He's an 11-18 quarterback with some really ugly individual statistics, and yet two different groups of decision-makers have entrusted him with the starting job based upon his perceived potential and "flashes" from late in the previous season. He certainly squeezed a lot of juice out of those season-ending wins in Miami.

After months of mixed signals by Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey clarified the matter Wednesday in his first Q&A with the New York media, saying Smith is the unquestioned starter and it "wasn't a thought" to have an actual competition.Gailey becomes the Jets' version of The Deflator. No doubt, his pronouncement took some air out of the fans' balloon of optimism, which had been inflating through free agency and the draft. Smith isn't Mr. Popularity, and he's always one interception away from hearing boos at MetLife Stadium.Gailey spoke glowingly of Smith, praising his arm strength, his ability to make good decisions when there are "clean reads" and his talent for adjusting when there's pressure. (Not sure where he's coming from on that last one because the analytics say he's a poor quarterback under duress.) Evidently, Gailey believes he (and his system) can get more out of the enigmatic Smith than his predecessor, Marty Mornhinweg, whose West Coast offense was a bad fit for Smith.

While the anti-Geno contingent might be groaning, the decision has a built-in insurance policy -- two policies, actually. With Fitzpatrick and rookie Bryce Petty on the roster, the Jets have two potential replacements lined up in case Geno reverts to being Geno. Fitzpatrick is the 2015 alternative, Petty 2016. So, in a way, this is Smith's last stand. Fitzpatrick is a savvy vet who knows Gailey's system better than anyone in the building, and Petty is a raw talent with upside."He's very talented as far as throwing the football," Gailey said of the Jets' fourth-round pick. "He has a lot to learn. He's a guy that understands the game. I think people talk about intangibles. He's one of those guys that his confidence verges on cockiness. It doesn't slip over into cockiness, but it's right there, which is what you want in a quarterback."

The Jets drafted Petty for a reason. Unless he's the next Russell Wilson, he won't be a factor this season, but he's looming over Smith's shoulder. Asked if he feels threatened, Smith said, "I think 'threatened' is a strong word. Obviously, there's competition. Bryce is a guy who will come in here and compete."Well, actually, there's no competition, just as there was no competition last summer between Smith and Michael Vick. But this is a better situation than last year because Vick never bought into his role. In retrospect, it was a bad signing. Presumably, Fitzpatrick will give a damn, and he proved last season he still can be a competent quarterback.

So, yes, Bowles is making the same mistake as Rex Ryan, handing the job to Smith, but at least he's not pouring all his money into Smith stock. He has two factors on his side: time and a diversified portfolio.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51428/another-bungled-quarterback-decision-by-new-york-jets-yes-and-no

more from our " O " dept. -

~ ~ -- You knew the New York Jets were leaning toward Geno Smith when Todd Bowles said at the NFL owners meetings in March that Smith would go into training camp as the No. 1 quarterback, ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick. What we didn't know then -- and what we discovered Wednesday -- is that the quarterback decision never was a decision. It was a no-brainer. The new regime determined in early March, perhaps earlier, that Smith is The Guy.

So we ponder the question: Are these guys suckers or do they honestly believe Smith will play better for them than the previous staff ?

Frankly, I think it's a mistake. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It should be an open competition, Smith versus Fitzpatrick.While Geno Smith has been handed the starting job, the Jets are hedging their bet more than in the past.Yes, Smith has a higher ceiling than Fitzpatrick, an overachieving journeyman, but Smith hasn't accumulated enough pelts (to borrow a Bill Parcells phrase) to be handed the starting job in the spring. He's an 11-18 quarterback with some really ugly individual statistics, and yet two different groups of decision-makers have entrusted him with the starting job based upon his perceived potential and "flashes" from late in the previous season. He certainly squeezed a lot of juice out of those season-ending wins in Miami.

After months of mixed signals by Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey clarified the matter Wednesday in his first Q&A with the New York media, saying Smith is the unquestioned starter and it "wasn't a thought" to have an actual competition.Gailey becomes the Jets' version of The Deflator. No doubt, his pronouncement took some air out of the fans' balloon of optimism, which had been inflating through free agency and the draft. Smith isn't Mr. Popularity, and he's always one interception away from hearing boos at MetLife Stadium.Gailey spoke glowingly of Smith, praising his arm strength, his ability to make good decisions when there are "clean reads" and his talent for adjusting when there's pressure. (Not sure where he's coming from on that last one because the analytics say he's a poor quarterback under duress.) Evidently, Gailey believes he (and his system) can get more out of the enigmatic Smith than his predecessor, Marty Mornhinweg, whose West Coast offense was a bad fit for Smith.

While the anti-Geno contingent might be groaning, the decision has a built-in insurance policy -- two policies, actually. With Fitzpatrick and rookie Bryce Petty on the roster, the Jets have two potential replacements lined up in case Geno reverts to being Geno. Fitzpatrick is the 2015 alternative, Petty 2016. So, in a way, this is Smith's last stand. Fitzpatrick is a savvy vet who knows Gailey's system better than anyone in the building, and Petty is a raw talent with upside."He's very talented as far as throwing the football," Gailey said of the Jets' fourth-round pick. "He has a lot to learn. He's a guy that understands the game. I think people talk about intangibles. He's one of those guys that his confidence verges on cockiness. It doesn't slip over into cockiness, but it's right there, which is what you want in a quarterback."

The Jets drafted Petty for a reason. Unless he's the next Russell Wilson, he won't be a factor this season, but he's looming over Smith's shoulder. Asked if he feels threatened, Smith said, "I think 'threatened' is a strong word. Obviously, there's competition. Bryce is a guy who will come in here and compete."Well, actually, there's no competition, just as there was no competition last summer between Smith and Michael Vick. But this is a better situation than last year because Vick never bought into his role. In retrospect, it was a bad signing. Presumably, Fitzpatrick will give a damn, and he proved last season he still can be a competent quarterback.

So, yes, Bowles is making the same mistake as Rex Ryan, handing the job to Smith, but at least he's not pouring all his money into Smith stock. He has two factors on his side: time and a diversified portfolio.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51428/another-bungled-quarterback-decision-by-new-york-jets-yes-and-no

I guess if Geno turns into a stud this guy will write about how Bowles and Gailey knew what they were doing, by surrounding the guy with proven weapons, building the defense, installing an offense suited to his strengths etc. I am sure that article will be written and he will say that the Regime actually knows what they are doing unlike the previous one.     He will say that Geno played before he was ready and that he should have sat on the bench his first year and learned like Petty will get a chance to do.   Yeah I am sure that will be in that article. 

Old school response based on what he believes; he said it in the interview "when you have two QB's (read QB competition) you have no QB" so, Geno is the QB until he is not... It cools off the media (no circus), provides more time to implement the system and leaves no excuses, I have a hard time calling it a mistake in May

Gailey was the most interesting hire and gets more interesting as we get to know him, how he works and how the coaches are working together... 

Fitzpatrick was asked to do a lot less than what Geno was asked of last year.

The Jets as a team also had a much more brutal schedule than the Houston Texans had.

Geno ran away from some jail breaks where an old fart like Fitzpatrick would have been sacked immediately.

Marty M runs the WCO.

Have you ever seen interviews with a coach like Bill Walsh or a player like Steve Young regarding the WCO.

Young says it takes 3 years minimum to learn the intricisies of that offense.

Gailey gives Geno the best chance of success by looking at what he does well & building an offense around his particular talents.

Of course Geno is going to start, there was no way in hell the Jets brass were going to name Fitzy as the starter.

Fitzy is here to mentor Geno in a Gailey offense he's familiar with & he's a last resort if Geno faulters.

We have fans here asking for Fitzy to start after he was jettisoned by a very good coach in Bill OBrien for Brian Hoyer?

That tells me all I need to know.

As a Jet fan I'm pulling for Geno. If Geno fails, I'm praying Petty is our future.

" O " dept. :

~ ~  think the Jets made a mistake naming Geno Smith the team's starting quarterback. It isn't that Geno should have been left definitively out of the running for the job. There just should be a competition for the Jets.

The Jets have players with established track records as quality starters. Darrelle Revis and Sheldon Richardson fit that description on defense. D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Eric Decker fit that description on offense. There are others. The team can reasonably conclude based on these players' past performances that they will be the best options. That does not exist at quarterback.The Jets cannot definitively say Geno Smith is the best option they have at quarterback. To date, he has not even matched the moderate success Ryan Fitzpatrick had in 2014. Is it possible he will adapt to a new system? Sure. Could it be that his struggles in his first two years were due mainly to his supporting cast and coaching. Perhaps. These are only possible excuses for his poor play to date.

These do not provide definitive proof he can play effectively. If Geno actually is ready to take off, beating Fitzpatrick in a camp battle would be a rather low hurdle to clear. There isn't any evidence this is the case at this point in time. What has the coaching staff seen? Are a handful of practice reps enough ? Since 2010 it has been a Jets tradition at this time of the year to declare the unproven young quarterback either has a much better grasp of the playbook of the same system or has a better skillset for a new system than the old one. Those proclamations have not been followed by quality play once.Having a competition when there is no proven starter is a good thing. There are benefits like sending the message everybody has to work hard. There are equal drawbacks in the message a move like this sends. The main concern, however, is more practical. Nobody knows how these players will respond to an offseason of work, a new system, new teammates, etc. Why not take the time to gather as much information as possible watching in training camp and the preseason ?

I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea some have suggested that it is best to prepare a starter by giving him all of the first team reps. In an ideal world, this would be true. I am much less sympathetic to the idea the Jets should try to avoid a quarterback controversy. Ultimately, the same rebuttal applies to both. The most important thing is to pick the right quarterback. Yes, in an ideal world you would know, and get that guy all of the first team reps. It is better to have the right guy get half than the wrong guy get all of them. That is the risk the team runs by making a decision so hastily. As far as avoiding a controversy, that has little to do with what a team says. It is all about the performance of the starter. The Jets did they could to avoid speculation of a controversy last summer. The starting quarterback was still a topic of discussion all year long because neither Geno Smith nor Michael Vick played well enough to stake a permanent claim to the job. Rex Ryan best chance to winned us to death in 2012, but there was plenty of controversy because Mark Sanchez's play merited discussion of a quarterback change. If the starter you name before the third preseason game plays well in the regular season, there won't be a controversy. If you insist all summer you have your starter, and that guy plays poorly, there will be a controversy.

As much as the result is important for major decisions, so is the thought process. I loved it when the Jets drafted Leonard Williams. A lot of that had to do with the prospect Williams is. Part of it was completely independent of the player evaluation, though. Even if Williams isn't the great player we expect, it says something good about the front office that the people in charge will draft a player they think will have the most value over the course of his career over a player who will fix a weakness in year one. Maybe Geno Smith will have a great year. This decision-making process still does not seem like a good one. In the event Geno lights it up, he would easily win a camp competition anyway. Chan Gailey did leave himself a bit of leeway today. I hope he and Bowles reconsider their decision and make this more of a competition. More than that, I hope this is not indicative of the approach the Jets will take to their big decisions going forward.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/5/21/8633141/jets-got-it-wrong-naming-geno-smith-starter

I guess if Geno turns into a stud this guy will write about how Bowles and Gailey knew what they were doing, by surrounding the guy with proven weapons, building the defense, installing an offense suited to his strengths etc. I am sure that article will be written and he will say that the Regime actually knows what they are doing unlike the previous one. He will say that Geno played before he was ready and that he should have sat on the bench his first year and learned like Petty will get a chance to do. Yeah I am sure that will be in that article.

That article is already written, and so is the one where Geno falls flat on his face, and Bowles/Gailey are buffoons like Ryan. They are just waiting for the outcome so they can know which article should go to editor for print at appropriate time, and if you don't think douches like the Jets beat writers aren't doing this, and hoping for the negative version your delusional.

That article is already written, and so is the one where Geno falls flat on his face, and Bowles/Gailey are buffoons like Ryan. They are just waiting for the outcome so they can know which article should go to editor for print at appropriate time, and if you don't think douches like the Jets beat writers aren't doing this, and hoping for the negative version your delusional.

Another article that is already written is if God forbid the Bills do well this season it will be because of the great team Doug Marrone left..LOL

Archived