Nick Folk ~ ~ ~

kelly

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 25 : Nick Folk

Last year’s ranking : Unranked

Position : Kicker

How acquired : Signed as a free agent on Feb. 23, 2010

Years left on contract : 3

2015 Salary Cap figure : $2.65 million

Looking back at 2014 : In recent years, Folk has been one of the most reliable players on the Jets. That’s a compliment for him and also a commentary on the Jets roster. I have resisted putting Folk in the top 25 in previous years, but people have worn me down. I have to admit he is more reliable than most of the players the Jets have.Last season, Folk made 82 percent (32-of -39) of his field goals, down from 91 percent the year before. Part of the problem was the Jets offense usually stalled before it hit the red zone or ended up marching backwards once it got there, leaving Folk with a number of tough kicks. He was perfect on field goals inside 40 yards (20-for-20). He twice had field goals blocked, both on long kicks of more than 50 yards and both against the Patriots.On kickoffs, Folk has never been a boomer and he continues to struggle to force touchbacks. Of kickers who played in all 16 games last season, only Nick Novak of the Chargers (10 touchbacks) had fewer than Folk, who had 21.

Outlook for 2015 : Former special teams coach Mike Westhoff used to like to challenge Folk in training camp by bringing in a kicker to compete for his job. The Jets did not give him any true competition last year after he signed a new contract with the team, and it does not look as if he will face any threats this year in training camp.The Jets know what they have in Folk. He is solid and reliable and there is no reason to think he is going anywhere until there is a drop-off in his production. Folk is particularly good in the beginning of the season. He has only missed two field goals in the first half of a season over the past three years. If the Jets offense improves this season, Folk should get some easier field-goal chances.

> http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/why-the-jets-arent-pretending-to-challenge-nick-folk-anymore/

The most consistent offensive scorer the Jets have right now. Automatic 3 points scored with Folk as the kicker he is very very accurate. I remember he made a 54 yard field goal in a game last season with ease. very very good kicker. He should make the pro bowl every year. Go Jets!

I really liked feely - especially since he punted for us in that playoff game when weatherford suddenly went out - he punted well too / very clutch

Feely was actually one of my least favorite kickers.  Back when kickoffs mattered, he kicked low line drives so that he could participate in trying to make a tackle.  It helped cost us some games either by losing the field position battle or by giving up TD's off the kickoffs.  Not sure why Westhoff let him get away with it.

Archived