Did Winters actually play well?

Bronxville Jets Fan

Hard to judge based on Miamis Dline play. They fired the coach after the game, there had to be something going on. Fins looked like they were sleep walking & showed very little hustle.

yeah that's what I'm struggling with ... On the one hand Winters had no penalties, gave up no sacks and contributed to a great run game, but on the other hand it was against Miami's underachieving DL.  Not sure who should get more credit, but it was nonetheless an encouraging sign for Winters. 

yeah that's what I'm struggling with ... On the one hand Winters had no penalties, gave up no sacks and contributed to a great run game, but on the other hand it was against Miami's underachieving DL.  Not sure who should get more credit, but it was nonetheless an encouraging sign for Winters. 

Be it Miami or not, these guys are NFL starters and Winters held his own against them so cudos.  He's so far showing that he might be a decent depth player.  I had high hopes for Idzik but his guys mostly seemed to underachieve.  Maybe the combination of seasoning and new coaching has helped.  The jury is still out but it's promising.      

207 yards on the ground, no sacks, 2 rushing TD's?

Yes.  I'd say Winters and the OL played very well. 

And specifically, he definitely helped spring Ivory on a few and his 1 TD, they ran directly behind Winters...who got just enough of a push.  I thought he looked fine out there.  He had the 1 holding penalty, but so did Mangold and Giacomini so I'm not going to kill him over 1 penalty when the team committed 16. 

I replayed the game focusing on Winters - he did a hell of a job.

While he did get pushed back by Suh, often he fought it until the pass was off and did not allow Suh or others to get by. He was mobile, sealed out his man and was feisty, frequently chipping two defensive linemen. He actually pancaked Suh - although Suh was pushed over a fallen player - was funny to see though. 

I tried to look up his rating on Pro Football Focus, but they are not selling subscriptions to the premier stats anymore - so if anyone has access, it would be interesting to see what they were. 

If he keeps playing like this, Willy (I'm a fan) will have a tough time getting his job back.

I replayed the game focusing on Winters - he did a hell of a job.

While he did get pushed back by Suh, often he fought it until the pass was off and did not allow Suh or others to get by. He was mobile, sealed out his man and was feisty, frequently chipping two defensive linemen. He actually pancaked Suh - although Suh was pushed over a fallen player - was funny to see though. 

I tried to look up his rating on Pro Football Focus, but they are not selling subscriptions to the premier stats anymore - so if anyone has access, it would be interesting to see what they were. 

If he keeps playing like this, Willy (I'm a fan) will have a tough time getting his job back.

Winters should be trying to steal Colons starting spot. I mean he's much younger & has to have more upside. I was shocked when we came out of camp & not one of the 10 guards could take his job? I like Colon but he's been injured a lot & is good for a couple penalties a game, some really stupid ones too for a veteran. 

He was dumped by the Steelers whose Oline has been sh*t for years now! that's gotta tell you something. 

207 yards on the ground, no sacks, 2 rushing TD's?

Yes.  I'd say Winters and the OL played very well. 

And specifically, he definitely helped spring Ivory on a few and his 1 TD, they ran directly behind Winters...who got just enough of a push.  I thought he looked fine out there.  He had the 1 holding penalty, but so did Mangold and Giacomini so I'm not going to kill him over 1 penalty when the team committed 16. 

Colon would have had two penalties so it is a net gain.

Winters should be trying to steal Colons starting spot. I mean he's much younger & has to have more upside. I was shocked when we came out of camp & not one of the 10 guards could take his job? I like Colon but he's been injured a lot & is good for a couple penalties a game, some really stupid ones too for a veteran. 

He was dumped by the Steelers whose Oline has been sh*t for years now! that's gotta tell you something. 

Colon has been serviceable this year. I do believe the quick(er) passing game has helped out the offensive line as a whole. Winters played a solid game, hopefully he can capitalize. 

I think that had a lot to do with Colon always being hurt there. He played in like 12 games total his last two seasons there/

He has been pretty healthy here though, same with early in his career.

Archived