Never too late to play ball

faba

Softball Pitcher, 96, Battles Rival, 86

By Associated Press

document.write(getElapsed("20070601T021804Z"));Thu May 31, 10:18 PMUPDATED 10 HOURS 19 MINUTES AGO

BALDWIN HARBOR, N.Y. - Between them, they had more than 150 years of experience. But in the end, seniority might still have been an advantage when a 93-year-old pitcher took on an 86-year-old rival in a seniors' softball game.

The elder pitcher, Mickey Werner, gave up just one run in three innings, helping his Long Island Senior Softball League team to a 9-6 win Wednesday. Opposing pitcher and relative youngster Paul Rotter allowed nine runs in six innings.

Each faced the other only once at the plate. Werner drew a walk, and Rotter singled. Pinch runners replaced both on the basepaths.

"Not only do I have fun _ it's good for me," said Rotter, of Woodmere. A retired special education teacher, he has played ball since 1936 and said he had no intention of giving up the game anytime soon.

Nor does Werner, a retired New York City physical education teacher who has played since 1927.

"They don't care how old the pitcher is, as long as they get the bat on the ball," said Werner, of Baldwin. "You're never too old."

The senior league, sponsored by The Bristal Assisted Living Communities, is made up of players at least 68 years old. Founded two decades ago, the league counts a record 106 players this year, said Commissioner Joe Friedman.

Softball Pitcher, 96, Battles Rival, 86

By Associated Press

document.write(getElapsed("20070601T021804Z"));Thu May 31, 10:18 PMUPDATED 10 HOURS 19 MINUTES AGO

BALDWIN HARBOR, N.Y. - Between them, they had more than 150 years of experience. But in the end, seniority might still have been an advantage when a 93-year-old pitcher took on an 86-year-old rival in a seniors' softball game.

The elder pitcher, Mickey Werner, gave up just one run in three innings, helping his Long Island Senior Softball League team to a 9-6 win Wednesday. Opposing pitcher and relative youngster Paul Rotter allowed nine runs in six innings.

Each faced the other only once at the plate. Werner drew a walk, and Rotter singled. Pinch runners replaced both on the basepaths.

"Not only do I have fun _ it's good for me," said Rotter, of Woodmere. A retired special education teacher, he has played ball since 1936 and said he had no intention of giving up the game anytime soon.

Nor does Werner, a retired New York City physical education teacher who has played since 1927.

"They don't care how old the pitcher is, as long as they get the bat on the ball," said Werner, of Baldwin. "You're never too old."

The senior league, sponsored by The Bristal Assisted Living Communities, is made up of players at least 68 years old. Founded two decades ago, the league counts a record 106 players this year, said Commissioner Joe Friedman.

no love for jetnation posters in this article? not even a mention of southernjet at shortstop :mrgreen:

Archived