Tom Brady Is Amazing

SoFlaJets

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True but did it deserve a thread on a Jets board??? Brady is off the charts and everyone already knew so.

I wouldn't say everyone. There are a ton of people here who think Brady is a product of cheating, of the system, of coaching, of benefiting by having a great D, of having Randy Moss, etc. Lots of people never give Cindy any credit.

You are a delusional homer if you think he is just a systems QB. ;)

I'd rank him at the bottom of the top 5 of the last 30 years and probably top 7 or 8 of all-time.

Montana, Manning, Young and then probably Brady out of all the QBs that I have gotten to see. Slightly ahead of Elway, Marino, and Favre IMO. Even if you argued each of those 3 it puts him at 7th of the last 30 years and clearly a top 2 QB of his generation.

With all due respect, Young was a very good quarterback, probably Top 5 of the 1990's, but of all the guys I've seen play, he doesn't even crack my Top 20.

Brady's an All-Time Great ... makes the second half of my Top 10.

With all due respect, Young was a very good quarterback, probably Top 5 of the 1990's, but of all the guys I've seen play, he doesn't even crack my Top 20.

Brady's an All-Time Great ... makes the second half of my Top 10.

Young had an eight year stretch as good as any QB ever IMO. I have Brady in the top 10 all-time as well. With all due respect I believe you are vastly underrating Mr. young. ;)

Montana, Manning, Young and then probably Brady out of all the QBs that I have gotten to see. Slightly ahead of Elway, Marino, and Favre IMO. Even if you argued each of those 3 it puts him at 7th of the last 30 years and clearly a top 2 QB of his generation.

Young is not better than Brady. But I would put Marino and Elway above Brady, along with Montana and Manning.

Young is not better than Brady. But I would put Marino and Elway above Brady, along with Montana and Manning.

I think you are wrong on Young. I was never a Marino fan so admittedly I may be underrating him but I put Brady and Elway ahead of him. You could flip a coin between Elway and Brady but I personally take Brady.

I think you are wrong on Young. I was never a Marino fan so admittedly I may be underrating him but I put Brady and Elway ahead of him. You could flip a coin between Elway and Brady but I personally take Brady.

Although a very good QB, I don't think Young is anywhere near the top 5, but that's just my opinion.

Next to Namath, Marino was the most mechanically sound QB I ever watched play.

Although a very good QB, I don't think Young is anywhere near the top 5, but that's just my opinion.

Next to Namath, Marino was the most mechanically sound QB I ever watched play.

IMO Young was a special QB once afforded the opportunity to start. Marino is not high on my list of QBs that I would pick to start a must win game for me... Maybe it's the fake spike taunting me all these years later...

Young had an eight year stretch as good as any QB ever IMO. I have Brady in the top 10 all-time as well. With all due respect I believe you are vastly underrating Mr. young. ;)

Not at all. As I said, I think Young was a great QB. Not sure how far you go back, but I go back to the 60's, so I've seen alot of great QB's play. If you're interested, I'll take you through my thought process.

First of all, it's very difficult, almost impossible to compare QB's pre-1978 to post 1978. It was a much different game pre-1978, much more difficult to throw the ball because of the rules back then, etc... Everybody knows that, so I won't bore you with that.

I look at the top 5 QB's in each decade, based on what I SAW, not just statistics (just my opinion):

1960's

1) Unitas (1956-1973)

2) Namath (1965-1977)

3) Starr (1956-1971)

4) Dawson (1957-1975)

5) Jurgenson (1957-1974)

1970's

1) Staubach (1969-1979)

2) Bradshaw (1970-1983)

3) Fouts (1973-1987)

4) Tarkenton (1961-1978)

5) Stabler (1970-1984)

1980's

1) Montana (1979-1994)

2) Marino (1983-1999)

3) Elway (1983-1998)

4) Kelly (1986-1996)

5) Esiason (1984-1997)

1990's

1) Favre (1991-2010)

2) Aikman (1989-2000)

3) Young (1985-1999)

4) Moon (1984-2000)

5) Cunningham (1985-2001)

2000's

1) Manning (1998-

2) Brady (2000-

3) Warner (1998-2009)

4) Brees (2001-

5) Rothlisberger (2004-

Now it's logical to try and rank pre-78 and post 78, so I'll do that ... again just my opinion

Before 1978

1) Unitas (1956-1973)

2) Staubach (1969-1979)

3) Bradshaw (1970-1983)

4) Namath (1965-1977)

5) Fouts (1973-1987)

6) Tarkenton (1961-1978)

7) Starr (1956-1971)

8) Stabler (1970-1984)

9) Dawson (1957-1975)

10) Jurgenson (1957-1974)

After 1978

1) Montana (1979-1994)

2) Marino (1983-1999)

3) Elway (1983-1998)

4) Manning (1998-

5) Brady (2000-

6) Favre (1991-2010)

7) Aikman (1989-2000)

8) Young (1985-1999)

9) Warner (1998-2009)

10) Brees (2001-

11) Kelly (1986-1996)

12) Esiason (1984-1997)

13) Moon (1984-2000)

14) Rothlisberger (2004-

15) Cunningham (1985-2001)

As I said, I don't like to compare the pre-78 guys with the post-78 guys because I don't think it's a fair comparison. If guys like Namath, Unitas, Staubach and Fouts played during the 80's or '90's, believe me their statistics would be right up there with Montana, Favre, etc....

That said, if you look at both my list, I have Young at #8 post-78, so I guess I did misspeak and Young would crack my Top 20 of All-Time. He'd probably be down between 14-20 somewhere. :cheers:

Not even close to Montana. Montana was a master. Brady doesn't even get the opportunity to play in this league if not for Montana.

Go look at Montana's Super Bowl numbers compared to Brady and prepare to catch your jaw before it hits the floor.

Montana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brady.

And it ain't remotely close.

They're not that far off. The main difference is that one of Montana's Super Bowls was a 55-10 laugher where he threw 5 TD's (two of which would be called "running up the score" by today's crybaby standards.......Or maybe those whines only come from Patriots haters). It'll be interesting to see how these numbers compare when Brady's career is actually over. If Brady gets to another SB or two and goes off in one or both of them, he may end up dwarfing Montana's stats here.

Brady:

100/155, 64.5%, 1001 yds, 7 TD's, 1 Int, 95.1 rating

Montana:

83/122, 68.0%, 1142 yds, 11 TD's, 0 Int, 127.8 rating

IMO Young was a special QB once afforded the opportunity to start. Marino is not high on my list of QBs that I would pick to start a must win game for me... Maybe it's the fake spike taunting me all these years later...

For some bizarre reason he's become vastly underrated as time's gone on. People forget that he was by far the single most dominant player in the league for a good stretch, by quite a large margin. I don't think I'd put him over Peyton or Montana, but he was certainly every bit as effective on the field as Brady is and Elway was.

For some bizarre reason he's become vastly underrated as time's gone on. People forget that he was by far the single most dominant player in the league for a good stretch, by quite a large margin. I don't think I'd put him over Peyton or Montana, but he was certainly every bit as effective on the field as Brady is and Elway was.

Left handed, famous for running, "the guy after Montana," and didn't make it with his first team.

Young's very underrated. Not sure how I'd rank him because QBs are pretty hard and I'm not much for football history, but he's easily the best LH QB ever.

After 1978

1) Montana (1979-1994)

2) Marino (1983-1999)

3) Elway (1983-1998)

4) Manning (1998-

5) Brady (2000-

6) Favre (1991-2010)

7) Aikman (1989-2000)

8) Young (1985-1999)

9) Warner (1998-2009)

10) Brees (2001-

11) Kelly (1986-1996)

12) Esiason (1984-1997)

13) Moon (1984-2000)

14) Rothlisberger (2004-

15) Cunningham (1985-2001)

Not bad, I'd go with Manning at 2, then Elway, Marino, Young, Brady, with Favre at 7. But to tell you the truth I think a legit argument can be made for putting Warner above Favre. Love Brees at 10. I don't think I'd put Boomer over Moon though.

Left handed, famous for running, "the guy after Montana," and didn't make it with his first team.

I mean for the 25 and under crowd, yeah, I guess I can buy that. But for anyone that simply witnessed his career, it would make no sense categorizing him as such. I still remember that 93-94 stretch where he put up something close to 9,000 yards of total offense and 75 TD's with a Super Bowl and a MVP to boot. You can't dominate the game football better than he did during those years. It's impossible.

I mean for the 25 and under crowd, yeah, I guess I can buy that. But for anyone that simply witnessed his career, it would make no sense categorizing him as such. I still remember that 93-94 stretch where he put up something close to 9,000 yards of total offense and 75 TD's with a Super Bowl and a MVP to boot. You can't dominate the game football better than he did during those years. It's impossible.

He had a 3 year stretch which is historically as good as any QBs ever AND an 8 year stretch where I would have picked him as my starter over anybody despite his age. You are correct that he has become vastly underrated. I have seen every QB of the last 30 years and Montana and Manning are the only 2 that I clearly take over Young.

He had a 3 year stretch which is historically as good as any QBs ever AND an 8 year stretch where I would have picked him as my starter over anybody despite his age. You are correct that he has become vastly underrated. I have seen every QB of the last 30 years and Montana and Manning are the only 2 that I clearly take over Young.

I think Young gets knocked cause he stepped into an offensive machine.

Montana should be knocked as well if that's the case..

Either SF just happenned to get back to back top 15 alltime QB's or something was going on there that created a very QB friendly environment (namely Walsh's offense, Rice)

Not sure if it's right or wrong, but it's certainly something to think about

I think Young gets knocked cause he stepped into an offensive machine.

Montana should be knocked as well if that's the case..

Either SF just happenned to get back to back top 15 alltime QB's or something was going on there that created a very QB friendly environment (namely Walsh's offense, Rice)

Not sure if it's right or wrong, but it's certainly something to think about

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think the hole in Young's resume has more to do with his mediocre playoff record. He was 8-6 in playoff games following in the footsteps of a guy who was 16-7 in playoff games (including 14-5 with the Niners).

Brady, by the way, is 14-4 in playoff games.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think the hole in Young's resume has more to do with his mediocre playoff record. He was 8-6 in playoff games following in the footsteps of a guy who was 16-7 in playoff games (including 14-5 with the Niners).

Brady, by the way, is 14-4 in playoff games.

So when he goes one and out this year, he'll match Montana with the Niners, of course, he lost a SB which Montana didn't. :Nuts:

So when he goes one and out this year, he'll match Montana with the Niners, of course, he lost a SB which Montana didn't. :Nuts:

His team lost the Super Bowl...Its not like he pulled a Manning or Marino and made pivotal mistakes under the big lights in crunch time when his team needed him most. Instead he led his team on a long touchdown drive to take the lead in the final two minutes of the game. He stepped up. After getting pounded throughout the game by an aggressive and dominant Giant pass rush, he stepped up when it mattered most. That's a credit to his legacy....Not a dark spot.

In the same spot last year, Manning threw a pick 6 which isn't that surprising b/c Manning has been coming up empty in the big spots his entire career. Even the Super Bowl he won was won despite him, not b/c of him. The fact that he won the SB MVP for that performance just goes to prove that the Manning bias is real. The Colt running backs and the ineptness of the Chicago offense were the true reasons the Colts won that game....Not Manning.

sometimes you have to step back and just be a football fan and consider what you're seeing. I don't think I've ever seen a more accurate passer play this game. He has willed his team to victories this year. He has put them and the coaches on his back. If you are a Pats fan you have to be very grateful for what you have there. Again, he's Bart Starr-but even better. I can't hate Tom Brady-I respect the hell out of him.

He needs a haircut.

His team lost the Super Bowl...Its not like he pulled a Manning or Marino and made pivotal mistakes under the big lights in crunch time when his team needed him most. Instead he led his team on a long touchdown drive to take the lead in the final two minutes of the game. He stepped up. After getting pounded throughout the game by an aggressive and dominant Giant pass rush, he stepped up when it mattered most. That's a credit to his legacy....Not a dark spot.

In the same spot last year, Manning threw a pick 6 which isn't that surprising b/c Manning has been coming up empty in the big spots his entire career. Even the Super Bowl he won was won despite him, not b/c of him. The fact that he won the SB MVP for that performance just goes to prove that the Manning bias is real. The Colt running backs and the ineptness of the Chicago offense were the true reasons the Colts won that game....Not Manning.

So the so-called greatest offense of all-time, which he was the key component of, was held to 14 points, and he bears no responsibility for it? :blink:

Archived