Success: Blessing or Curse?

stoicsentry

I was aggravated by the most recent episode of NFL rants and raves podcast, in which one host suggests that if Sanchez can't deliver the Lombardi in '11 then it may be time to 'move on' and 'turn over the reins' to a new QB. I'm of the belief that many people extend this to Rex as well, if he doesn't win the Superbowl this year, people may be calling for his head.

Looking at the 09 season, you had a team with a rookie coach/rookie QB that lucked into the playoffs and played tough once there. Taking nothing away from those wins, they could easily have gone 8-8, missed the playoffs and I would have accepted that as the beginning of a new era.

In 10, the team did much better, finishing 11-5 with less help than they had in 09. Also, the playoff wins @Indy and @N.E. were much better than @Cincinatti, @San Diego. But if they were coming off the theoretical 8-8 season I mentioned, and they went 10-6, being one and done in the playoffs... I would have been accepting of the progress there.

It's tough to win a Superbowl. It just is. You need a tremendous team but you also need everything to break right for you. And in my opinion, there's no shame in losing @Pitt to a great team in the playoffs. Yes, of course, you want the win... but the other team gets paid too.

So, I'm beginning to wonder: is it really FAIR to say Superbowl or bust, to a QB and a coach that have greatly exceeded expectations? Is it fair that the winning-est QB in NFL history in road playoff games is put on the hotseat? That a coach that transformed this team and franchise, and the attitude and aura surrounding it as if by 'magic', should be put on the hotseat so early in his head coaching career?

For my part, I want a Superbowl as bad as all of you. None of my professional teams in any of the four sports have won a single championship since I started rooting for them around 1990. However, I'm in this one for the long haul. I am 100% convinced that Ryan should coach this team through the decade, and 75% convinced that Sanchez is the franchise QB of the decade for this team.

If Rex goes I go, seriously the Eagles never fired Andy Reid, the Steelers never fired Bill Cohwer. Just because you don't win the super bowl but have a successful team every year I'm fine, cause it will come just like it did for Cohwer, and Reid got to one, and still takes his team back to the playoffs almost annually.

A lot will depend on how the division goes down...I mean if the Pats mollywhop the division again there will probably be grumblings.

But I really doubt anyone will be seriously calling for Rex's head other than some folks on a message board.

Now if Sanchez tanks- that's a different story. Especially since the fame has kind of come before the ring similar to Romo. And even then, Romo's been a better passer than Sanchez has been.

Sanchez has done nothing but improve (with a few exceptions)since he joined, and Rex has done nothing but made this team a superbowl contender. If he improves over last year, there's no reason to call for his or Rex's head. They've done good things since they've arrived, and even if we don't win the superbowl, if we improve the offense and maintain the same defense, it's a step in the right direction. Our core is set for years to come. Obviously we want to win a superbowl, but as was mentioned above, it's very difficult and there is a certain degree of luck and circumstance involved. It's not like Rex sucks cuz we don't win the superbowl every year. We've come close, twice now. We'll get there.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they take a step back before they take a step forward. The team is close enough that they should treat every year as super bowl or bust, but I don't think there can be any complaints about Rex. Sanchez is so raw that I don't think he can regress, but I fully expect him to cost us more when the team starts to lean on him. More reward, more risk.

I think Rex has changed the dynamic of JETS existence! So i am sure he is going to be here for a long long time unless he coaches a real stinker of a season.

Sanchez has cemented his position for atleast next 2 seasons. If the JETS do not go to the playoffs in the next 2 seasons there will a lot of voices who would want to see him replaced!

Anybody who would endorse firing Rex or getting rid of Sanchez if the Jets don't win the Super Bowl this season is an absolute f#%$ing idiot.

Just my opinion.

Sanchez has till year 5,6, if not sooner. But those are the years I see everything coming together, if the core stays somewhat in tact and healthy.

A lot will depend on how the division goes down...I mean if the Pats mollywhop the division again there will probably be grumblings.

But I really doubt anyone will be seriously calling for Rex's head other than some folks on a message board.

Now if Sanchez tanks- that's a different story. Especially since the fame has kind of come before the ring similar to Romo. And even then, Romo's been a better passer than Sanchez has been.

I'm gonna slam your breaks on right there. Romo has been a better passer but he was a no show in the postseason. Sanchez brought his A game in the postseason his rookie year.

Sanchez actually has earned more respect IMO than Romo, or Flacco for that matter, because he doesn't shrink in big situations like those two have done repeatedly.

My alligance is now to Rex Ryan and Rex Ryan only. I <3 him.

+1

This is the most optimistic I've been about the Jets in years.

I remember being optimistic when Parcells came over. Then he left us high and dry.

I'm OK if it takes a few more years to get the trophy as long as the Jets remain competitive as they have been with Ryan. I just wish Rex would stop promising a championship every other press conference. :D

Archived