Caleb Schlauderaff Better than Ducasse?

TNJet

Just wondering if anyone else thinks Caleb could already be a better olinemen than Ducasse currently is. Caleb being the rookie, yet the way Vlad has struggled could get Caleb valuable depth snaps sooner rather than later. While I admit to being extremely hard on Vlad the first 2 weeks of preseason, he did improve, and on several occaisions even impressing me on some pancake blocks in the ruuning game. Its his pass blocking that scares me, his run blocking isnt that bad actually. Is Schlauderaff Vlad's replacement? Jets said they considered him as a late rnd draft pick.

I think Vlad is teh suck, Calebb is the means to hide teh suck for another season without killing another QB, and I don't know sht about Baxter.

Same discussion, different thread. You said your insider claims the Jets drafted Ducasse as a guard. Whether he sucks or not, the team has 3 guys that are listed at tackle, Vlad is one of them. Caleb and Baxter are not playing tackle, so obviously the team currently feels Ducasse is the best tackle available.

Same discussion, different thread. You said your insider claims the Jets drafted Ducasse as a guard. Whether he sucks or not, the team has 3 guys that are listed at tackle, Vlad is one of them. Caleb and Baxter are not playing tackle, so obviously the team currently feels Ducasse is the best tackle available.

Sounds about right. The best tackle available. Why he was drafted and where he is now projected aren't necessarily the same. I think the guy is awful...but that doesn't mean he'll always be awful. I'm on board with all of that. Just wish he hadn't gotten Turner's leg broken. He needs to be better than adequate/okay after that mess. It could have been our QB's leg. My insider isn't the be all end all of player evaluation--but he is a player evaluator (his job). And he says Ducasse isn't putting any smiles on any faces with his play--and has been dissapointing since drafted. The Jets expected a monster OL, and got a guy they are moving around in hopes of finding a spot that masks his weaknesses. I remember another guy they did this for. And it makes me go poop in my bloomers.

Sounds about right. The best tackle available. Why he was drafted and where he is now projected aren't necessarily the same. I think the guy is awful...but that doesn't mean he'll always be awful. I'm on board with all of that. Just wish he hadn't gotten Turner's leg broken. He needs to be better than adequate/okay after that mess. It could have been our QB's leg. My insider isn't the be all end all of player evaluation--but he is a player evaluator (his job). And he says Ducasse isn't putting any smiles on any faces with his play--and has been dissapointing since drafted. The Jets expected a monster OL, and got a guy they are moving around in hopes of finding a spot that masks his weaknesses. I remember another guy they did this for. And it makes me go poop in my bloomers.

I'm not trying to sell you on Ducasse being a very good player. I"m just saying he's not quite as awful as everybody thinks and it's obvious they are keeping him at OT for the time being. According to what I've read tackle is simpler than guard in Callahan's system and that might be part of the reason. I'm sure they hope Ducasse doesn't have to see the field, but it's not like there are any street free agents that are better.

I'm not trying to sell you on Ducasse being a very good player. I"m just saying he's not quite as awful as everybody thinks and it's obvious they are keeping him at OT for the time being. According to what I've read tackle is simpler than guard in Callahan's system and that might be part of the reason. I'm sure they hope Ducasse doesn't have to see the field, but it's not like there are any street free agents that are better.

Of course not. I don'treally have a difference of opinion with you. We'd both be ecstatic if Vlad became awesome. I think you're a glass half full guy, and I'm a "please fill my glass--I'm not drunk enough yet" guy. Either way--fingers crossed our line stays healthy.

I think you both can be right on this one. It makes sense that the Jets would've liked to've gotten Ducasse time on the field last year at guard, then moved him over to tackle this year with Woody retiring. Now it's that year later, and they've found a decent guard in Slauson, so they can move Ducasse to tackle and have him focus there.

I think we're going to see a lot of Ducasse this year lining up eligible to catch a pass. He'll get his tackle training here the same way Hunter did.

Archived