Brian Schottenheimer...

Ghost

Was that Kerley? Looks like he missed where the first down marker was.

Watching this over and over again is infuriating. Why is every receiver on this play either stopping at the 1st down marker or right behind it? Wouldn't that make it easier on the defense knowing they have much less ground to cover?

The fact every player was short of the marker and all running the same type route is infuriating. In watching it however, Sanchez had the protection to scan our receivers and likely would have picked up the 1st down by throwing to McKnight or the receiver on the other sidline.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact every player was short of the marker and all running the same type route is infuriating. In watching it however, Sanchez had the protection to scan our receivers and likely would have picked up the 1st down by throwing to McKnight or the receiver on the other sidline.

Well I've already come to the conclusion that sanchez doesn't have the best vision when it comes to seeing the whole field. Many times we see him miss wide open receivers, especially in the red zone. But still the design of this play is retarded because when all the receivers are within the same 3 yards of each other than the db's play that much close and gives them a better chance to jump a route and get an INT and give their team better field position then if we miss the first down marker and have to punt.

At least one receiver shoulda ran more than 5 yards to keep the defense somewhat honest.

I think it's mostly Sanchez, since he's the guy who's job it is to actually get the job done.

If it's "mostly" Sanchez, then at least you're admitting Schottenheimer is partly to blame. The coach's job is to put a player in a position to succeed, and its the QB's job to execute the gameplan. Neither are doing their job well, as we're ranked 29th in the NFL in total offense. Even you can agree to that.

And seeing as Schottenheimer is a former QB coach, this is what he's supposed to be able to do best; run a successful passing offense.

Much like his rookie year, Sanchez is showing a preference to throwing to the right side of the field. Old habits die hard....

Dude? If he threw that ball to McKnight it was pick 6 the other way. Watch the Safety who ends up making the tackle. That tells ya EVERYTHING you need to know about our offense. HE DOESN'T MOVE OFF THE SNAP. Almost like he knows the play will be in front of him. That's sad and basically a microcosm of all the Jets problems on O, imo. All that Safety is looking to do is jump a route.

Perfect execution.

brianschottenheimer.gif

while obviously that route combination is stupid, I'm certain the receivers were supposed to break off at the first down marker like the guy on top did (can't see his number)...It's kind of sad that state of affairs that you think they're being instructed to run 5 yard routes on 3rd and 6) ... In any event, I'd rather someone ran a clearing route, but maybe they were thinking blitz.. Hard to say.. bad route design, and bad throw by sanchez, he basically threw it to the one guy who couldn't make the first down, as kerly was doubled and had momentum coming back to the qb

Also, those routes are designed to go 4 yards...I doubt all 5 WR's made the same mistake and btw even Plex was stopping short but he gives up quick as he sees/feels the defender inside, right next to him and his momentum carries him over the sticks. The play was a disaster and typical. Holmes and Plex within 3 feet of each other...

There is absolutely zero defense for this play whatsoever. None. Of course there are plenty of times where the play-call is fine and the execution sucks, but that doesn't mean there should be even the slightest bit of excuse for Schotty for the failure of this play. It was an absolutely idiotic call, without any question whatsoever.

As far as your points, McKnight was running the shortest route of every receiver on the field, although there is a chance he could have been the one receiver on the field that could have made it, it's far from a guarantee considering he was standing yards short of the marker and there would have been 2-3 guys in the area breaking towards him as opposed to Kerley if that's where the ball was thrown. If he threw it out to Plax (the receiver at the top of the screen), that ball is almost assuredly going for 6 in the other direction. You can actually see he's the first receiver Sanchez looks for and the DB slides outside ready to cut under the throw if it goes that way. For as much as everyone loves to rag on Sanchez, the kid threw it to the receiver running the deepest route who was actually open. The play was a failure from the moment it was called. The fact that some point cannot even admit to one single incorrect playcall in a 6-year period tells you absolutely everything you need to know.

If it's "mostly" Sanchez, then at least you're admitting Schottenheimer is partly to blame. The coach's job is to put a player in a position to succeed, and its the QB's job to execute the gameplan. Neither are doing their job well, as we're ranked 29th in the NFL in total offense. Even you can agree to that.

And seeing as Schottenheimer is a former QB coach, this is what he's supposed to be able to do best; run a successful passing offense.

I've never said otherwise. I just think the amount of blame put on him by my fellow fan is retardedly high considering he's a guy on the sidelines and our QBs have clearly sucked. The one time he had a healthy, high end pro QB this offense was awesome (the early part of '08). He's had plenty of success with the bad QBs (3 playoff appearances with Pennington and Sanchez). I'd say that's a guy who puts players into a position to succeed.

I thought being the former QB coach of two superstar QBs didn't really mean much? I know I'm talking crazy....I know I'm making excuses for that POS who has DESTROYED this franchise from within during his 6 years here (the Jets CLEARLY have lost all their past prestige because of him)...but you need an efficient QB to have a good passing offense. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

If you cant win games with this play call then you need better players...cause this is as good as it gets..

Schittenhiemer calls it his favorite play. When calling for it he'll often yell "OK MEXICAN LETS DO THE DON'T GET A FIRST DOWN PLAY! I NEED you to throw this to whoever has the most DBs on him(.)" and everyone goes out there and does it perfectly, every single time as they always do.

while obviously that route combination is stupid, I'm certain the receivers were supposed to break off at the first down marker like the guy on top did (can't see his number)...

You're stupid. There's nothing wrong with the route combination or the receivers' depth. The execution failed because Sanchez didn't make the read, and there's no difficulty whatsoever in seeing exactly what went wrong just by watching the play. 32 is bailing at the snap = odd coverage = hit the outside hitch. It's really just that simple. Taking a wider view one could hold Schottenheimer responsible for the fact that after two years plus Sanchez still can't just make the read and throw the ball without having to get cute and throw an eye fake or a pump or, as here, the old look left/throw right.

The one time he had a healthy, high end pro QB this offense was awesome (the early part of '08).

We were ranked 16th in total offense. Granted, Favre tore his bicep down the stretch, but I don't think we ever broke into the top 1/4 of the league in total offense over the first 11 weeks of the season.

And as had been repeated ad nauseum, Schottenheimer had two super elite QB's in San Diego as QB coach (Brees & Rivers). Neither had particularly productive years under his tutelage.

So, under the leadership of Schottenheimer, we can determine that his ceiling is a slightly above-average offense. Not good enough to have the job he has.

We were ranked 16th in total offense. Granted, Favre tore his bicep down the stretch, but I don't think we ever broke into the top 1/4 of the league in total offense over the first 11 weeks of the season.

And as had been repeated ad nauseum, Schottenheimer had two super elite QB's in San Diego as QB coach (Brees & Rivers). Neither had particularly productive years under his tutelage.

So, under the leadership of Schottenheimer, we can determine that his ceiling is a slightly above-average offense. Not good enough to have the job he has.

I'm pretty sure we did, and if not they were still putting points on the board and winning games. They finished 9th in points scored, even with Favre crappy the bed.

As has been stated ad nauseum on the SD situation:

◊ At San Diego, he was instrumental in the development of Chargers’ quarterback Drew Brees. Under his tutelage in 2004, Brees won NFL Comeback Player of the Year and earned a Pro Bowl berth when he threw 27 touchdown passes and completed over 65 percent of his passes.

He also Rivers' QB coach in '04 and '05...gone by '06...Rivers became the starter in '06 and played like a vet (22/9 TD/INT, 61%, 3300+ yards).

So under the leadership of Schottenheimer we've seen two elite QBs come up, a 22 and 23 year old QB lead his team to the AFCCG twice, and a guy who was never even supposed to be a pro QB again win CBPOY. Sooooooooo....yeah....same old argument, same old points being made.

You're stupid. There's nothing wrong with the route combination or the receivers' depth. The execution failed because Sanchez didn't make the read, and there's no difficulty whatsoever in seeing exactly what went wrong just by watching the play. 32 is bailing at the snap = odd coverage = hit the outside hitch. It's really just that simple. Taking a wider view one could hold Schottenheimer responsible for the fact that after two years plus Sanchez still can't just make the read and throw the ball without having to get cute and throw an eye fake or a pump or, as here, the old look left/throw right.

Not buying it, as I said, Sanchez picked the worst possible man to throw to. Anyone of those options would've been better.. Still, if we assume the receivers ran the proper routes (never mind depth), Holmes is running an out that takes him into the same vicinity that buress's hitch does. On third down with an idiota at QB, you'd hope you have complimentary routes designed to clear areas for the primary read..

Not buying it, as I said, Sanchez picked the worst possible man to throw to. Anyone of those options would've been better.. Still, if we assume the receivers ran the proper routes (never mind depth), Holmes is running an out that takes him into the same vicinity that buress's hitch does. On third down with an idiota at QB, you'd hope you have complimentary routes designed to clear areas for the primary read..

Holmes and Plax both ran lazy routes, presumably because the play was going the other way. It's possible that Sanchez went right because he saw that Plax was slow getting off at the snap (that's not what it looks like to me, but it's possible), but even if that's the case, McKnight is still the hot read. Holmes wasn't actually running an out there, he just took a real wide turn on his hitch. He's supposed to stop on a dime and freeze the defender but he rounded it off so the guy was still in a position to make a play on a throw to Plax.

Holmes and Plax both ran lazy routes, presumably because the play was going the other way. It's possible that Sanchez went right because he saw that Plax was slow getting off at the snap (that's not what it looks like to me, but it's possible), but even if that's the case, McKnight is still the hot read. Holmes wasn't actually running an out there, he just took a real wide turn on his hitch. He's supposed to stop on a dime and freeze the defender but he rounded it off so the guy was still in a position to make a play on a throw to Plax.

I see, looks like a quick out to me..

agree mcknight is where he should've went with it...

What was his excuse the last two years? Or the three years before that?

Oh they're there. You just need lots of time, the willingness to argue that something like 5 games in 2008 proves greatness, the ability to throw shame out the window, and a map that heads straight to Diatribetown. Opprobrium does not exist in this Schotteinheimer dojo.

Archived