Unguarded

Garb

For all you sports enthusiasts out there that enjoy a good sports/social documentary, I highly recommend ESPN's Unguarded - the Chris Herren story.

Chris Herren has incredible charisma and his story is absolutely horrifying. Riveting stuff. Addiction is a powerful ailment. Resilience is amazing. Love conquers all. I highly recommend finding a re-air date and time and watching it. I promise you won't regret it.

I remember him....what was he addicted too?

Everything

Was drinking and smoking pot in High school. Was introduced to cocaine at Boston College. Pain killers while in the NBA - he graduated to Oxycotin. Played in Italy, Germany, Turkey and Iran - where he was introduced to Heroine. Came back to the states and started doing crystal meth too. He would do it to keep himself from getting "dope sick." This kid was a human garbage disposal of drugs.

Everything

Was drinking and smoking pot in High school. Was introduced to cocaine at Boston College. Pain killers while in the NBA - he graduated to Oxycotin. Played in Italy, Germany, Turkey and Iran - where he was introduced to Heroine. Came back to the states and started doing crystal meth too. He would do it to keep himself from getting "dope sick." This kid was a human garbage disposal of drugs.

Yeah he was on with Mike Francesa over the summer when his book was coming out. Amazing story and his wife must be some special lady. I was amazed at how good and intelligent he appeared after listening to his story. I wish him all the best.

Reminded me of the HS pitcher from Boston a few years back (name escapes me) who signed with the Florida Marlins along with a 1 mill bonus only to squander it away on OXY. Last I heard he had made it most of the way back with the help of the Marlins.

Saw the first hour of the show...wow, I really wish I DVRed the second half of it. His college coach described it best at one point when he said "just when you thought he had turned the corner, he fell into a deeper problem." What speaks volumes about his character is the fact that he now goes out and tells his story to all walks of life, from high schoolers, college, athletes, service-people, etc. about the dangers and temptations of drugs throughout the early years of his life. From what I saw he stood up to all his critics and naysayers that chanted "rehab" and "junky" at games and put down his best performances for his team despite his flaws. Great documentary Garb if you see it on again message me and let me know

For all you sports enthusiasts out there that enjoy a good sports/social documentary, I highly recommend ESPN's Unguarded - the Chris Herren story.

Chris Herren has incredible charisma and his story is absolutely horrifying. Riveting stuff. Addiction is a powerful ailment. Resilience is amazing. Love conquers all. I highly recommend finding a re-air date and time and watching it. I promise you won't regret it.

I watched this the other night. Just an amazing story, so sad.

Yeah he was on with Mike Francesa over the summer when his book was coming out. Amazing story and his wife must be some special lady. I was amazed at how good and intelligent he appeared after listening to his story. I wish him all the best.

Reminded me of the HS pitcher from Boston a few years back (name escapes me) who signed with the Florida Marlins along with a 1 mill bonus only to squander it away on OXY. Last I heard he had made it most of the way back with the help of the Marlins.

I was impressed by his wife. And also by how well he looked\sounded. Definitely thought he would be in worse shape right now after all that.

Archived