For Jets To Win, Pats Have To Lose 3 In A Row

kelticwizard

At the beginning of the season, we all thought the Jets were ascendant, the Patriots on their way down. When the season began, the Jets looked like a mediocre team, the Pats looked like they returned to their old winning ways.

The Pats might not be quite as good as their record indicated, but even as I cheered the Giants on yesterday, I knew that if the Giants won, for us to win next week the Pats would have to lose three in a row, which is going to be hard to imagine.

The Jets seem to be rounding into good form as the season goes on, still some rough edges. I like what I see on the field. But still, it's going to be tough to stick that third loss down the Patriots' throat.

Have the Pats ever lost three in a row during the Belichick-Brady era?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The run defense has gotten better and that's the key. The Pats caught the Jets when they were reeling after getting burned by McFadden in Oakland. Yes the Jets CAN cover those TE's, the sane way they did it last year in the playoffs. You have to knock those guys off their routes as they come off the line and screw their timing all up. The Patriots don't scare me the way they did in September and early October. Brady is taking a lot of big hits too. I can see Maybin and Pace getting 4 sacks on him. I think the Jets win this game and will be in first place by Monday morning.

Our linebackers and safeties can't cover one good TE, let alone two. As a result, I cannot share your irrational overconfidence.

Yep and Chandler was supposed to dominate us yesterday as well. The Bills were supposed to spread us out and expose our slow LB'ers and horrible safeties. Didnt happen. I trust this defense and think the Pats are as overrated as they've ever been.

This might come as a surprise, but I dont need you to share my confidence.

Yep and Chandler was supposed to dominate us yesterday as well. The Bills were supposed to spread us out and expose our slow LB'ers and horrible safeties. Didnt happen. I trust this defense and think the Pats are as overrated as they've ever been.

Scott Chandler, who was drafted in 2007 and has a whopping 19 career receptions? He may have grabbed a few TD's this season, but he's not in the same class as Hernandez and Gronkowski when it comes to athleticism and route-running ability.

If the Jets don't get sufficient pressure on Brady, this is the one area I think the defense can be exposed, assuming they decide to stop the run this time around.

Dont know, dont care. I dont think they can beat the Jets the way this defense is playing.

Jets will be in first place next Monday.

I think NE looks incredibly beatable.

I also think yesterday was the beginning of the end for Buffalo. As easy as the Jets and Pats schedules look, Buffalo still has @ Dallas, Tennessee, @ San Diego, Tim Tebow, as well as the Jets and Pats.

Scott Chandler, who was drafted in 2007 and has a whopping 19 career receptions? He may have grabbed a few TD's this season, but he's not in the same class as Hernandez and Gronkowski when it comes to athleticism and route-running ability.

If the Jets don't get sufficient pressure on Brady, this is the one area I think the defense can be exposed, assuming they decide to stop the run this time around.

I was told that Chandler would kill us. I was also told that the Bills would spread us out and expose our slow LB'ers and safeties and that Fred Jackson would have a field day. The Bill scored 11 pts at home and 8 of them were in garbage time.

I'm confident in this defense.

Didn't we do a decent job of covering those two TE's last year in the playoffs?

Gronkowski had 4 catches for 65 yards (on 6 targets) and Hernandez 1 for 4 (only target). They kept them out of the end zone, but I'd hardly thump my chest as if they were completely shut down.

They went for a combined 9 for 81 on 13 targets earlier this season... I expect them to be a bigger part of the gameplan this week than they were in the playoffs last year.

It's pretty much the rule that No. 1 seeds that are 1-and-done in the playoffs are never as good the following season.

In fact, IIRC, the only team to win a playoff game the following year was the 97 Broncos, who went on the win the SB as the WC team.

Gronkowski had 4 catches for 65 yards (on 6 targets) and Hernandez 1 for 4 (only target). They kept them out of the end zone, but I'd hardly thump my chest as if they were completely shut down.

They went for a combined 9 for 81 on 13 targets earlier this season... I expect them to be a bigger part of the gameplan this week than they were in the playoffs last year.

the reson they didn't have as much of an impact in that playoff game was because of Pettine, Sutton, and Rex's schemes. They took them out of their comfort zones by hitting them on every play that they would come off the line. Also, Kyle Wilson has been playing really well and is the most improved player for the Jets this year. I'd also like to see the refs continue to call the games like they've been calling them lately. Last time up in Foxboro the Pats receivers and OC had a new play installed where the receivers just run as hard as they can and smash into our defenders and get the penalty called every time. It was getting ridiculous.

Not bad, but the key was keeping them out of the endzone. In last nights game they had 3 straight calls for Gronk and yet he still got in.

They will be a bigger part of the gameplan cause the only other receiver worth mentioning is Welker, and Revis will be on him.

Last time up in Foxboro the Pats receivers and OC had a new play installed where the receivers just run as hard as they can and smash into our defenders and get the penalty called every time. It was getting ridiculous.

There were two PI calls - one each for Hernandez and Gronkowski and the one to Hernandez was 35-yards downfield. There was another illegal contact call of Wilson against Hernandez, but regardless, they still managed 9 catches between them.

At the beginning of the season, we all thought the Jets were ascendant, the Patriots on their way down. When the season began, the Jets looked like a mediocre team, the Pats looked like they returned to their old winning ways.

The Pats might not be quite as good as their record indicated, but even as I cheered the Giants on yesterday, I knew that if the Giants won, for us to win next week the Pats would have to lose three in a row, which is going to be hard to imagine.

The Jets seem to be rounding into good form as the season goes on, still some rough edges. I like what I see on the field. But still, it's going to be tough to stick that third loss down the Patriots' throat.

Have the Pats ever lost three in a row during the Belichick-Brady era?

Don't know, don't care.

The Pats are a team with a one-dimensional offense that has been figured out and almost no defense.

People need to stop acting like the Pats have won anything recently. This is a team that hasn't won a postseason game in four years and there is a good reason for that.

Don't know, don't care.

The Pats are a team with a one-dimensional offense that has been figured out and almost no defense.

People need to stop acting like the Pats have won anything recently. This is a team that hasn't won a postseason game in four years and there is a good reason for that.

The same offense that 4 weeks ago against the Jets scored 30 points, had a JAG RB run for 130+ yards, and saw Brady throw for 300+, including a 73-yarder to Wes Welker?

I think the Pats are overrated, but methinks you're overstating their demise a wee bit as it relates to Sunday's contest.

The same offense that 4 weeks ago against the Jets scored 30 points, had a JAG RB run for 130+ yards, and saw Brady throw for 300+, including a 73-yarder to Wes Welker?

I think the Pats are overrated, but methinks you're overstating their demise a wee bit as it relates to Sunday's contest.

We'll see. I'm not going to pretend there wasn't a part of me that didn't breathe a little sigh of relief when the Pats took the lead with 1:30 to go last night because I didn't want to hear all about how the Pats have never lost 3 in a row in the Brady era 6000 times before next Sunday.

But then I thought back to yesterday morning, as I flipped from one pregame show to another seeing many"experts" shouting repeatedly how the Bills were wearing white jerseys at home for the first time in 25 years and all of them acting like it actually meant something and would have some impact on the game, and I realized that the Pats never losing three in a row in the Brady era was about as meaningful as the Bills' white jerseys. It really is meaningless and has no bearing on the outcome of this game. What past does have meaning for this game is the Jets never losing to the Pats at home since Rex became our coach.

That crowd is going to be geeked up next Sunday night and the team is going to be even moreso. This is the opportunity we've all been waiting for. I just don't see this defense letting us down.

Yeah, but was it a pretty win?

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when the media gave the Jets no chance against the Pats a couple of years ago because the Pats NEVER or very rarely loose back to back games. And what happened? We went into Foxboro and knocked off the Pats. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think that was back when Mangini was coaching.

If they lost 2 in a row, they can definitely lose 3 in a row. We have the momentum right now.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when the media gave the Jets no chance against the Pats a couple of years ago because the Pats NEVER or very rarely loose back to back games. And what happened? We went into Foxboro and knocked off the Pats. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think that was back when Mangini was coaching.

If they lost 2 in a row, they can definitely lose 3 in a row. We have the momentum right now.

Absolutely. The Jets are the better Football team right now. Thats all that matters.

The Jets have shown consistency enough on defense that I don't think the Pats offense will be our undoing.

As with every other game, we need the offense to show up. A performance like last week, and we will undoubtably lose. There's no chance we can get away with a 3 point half, and the skill of our opponents secondary seems to bear little relevance on our offensive performance.

Offense needs the reach the mid to high 20s. That'll be the difference maker.

Absolutely. The Jets are the better Football team right now. Thats all that matters.

I honestly don't know what you're basing this on.

Sure, in the last 2 weeks, the Jets have won and the Pats have lost. But, last time they played, the Pats beat the Jets pretty easily.

Logically, I don't know where this confidence comes from.

The Jets have shown consistency enough on defense that I don't think the Pats offense will be our undoing.

As with every other game, we need the offense to show up. A performance like last week, and we will undoubtably lose. There's no chance we can get away with a 3 point half, and the skill of our opponents secondary seems to bear little relevance on our offensive performance.

Offense needs the reach the mid to high 20s. That'll be the difference maker.

The day our offense shows up for 4 quarters is the day we become unstoppable.

A major reason why the Pats haven't lost 3 in a row since 2002 is the opponent in the 3rd game.

2009 was the last time the Pats lost 2 in a row (Saints, Fins). Their 3rd opp was the Panthers (5-7 at the time) in Foxboro.

In 2006, the Pats lost 2 in a row (Colts, Jets). Their 3rd opp was the Packers (4-5 at the time) in GB.

In 2002, the Pats lost 2 in a row (Chargers, Fins). Their 3rd opp was the Packers (4-1 at the time) in Foxboro.

Archived