Aren't the games in Europe a slap in the face to NFL fans here?

Blackout

say your a Rams fan...they'll probably charge you the same amount but yet you only get 7 home games now

or say you're someone who works on game day...they just took away 1/8 of your work time

why are we "exporting" games to a country that could care less???

edit: oh and i'm sure the players love traveling to england and spending their bye weeks jetlagged lol

We are trying to build the NFL globally. As part of that, we are looking to play in Europe and the Americas (Canada, Mexico). As such, we need to play games there to build interest. The NFL Superbowl draws a ridiculous number of viewers around the globe...but if the NFL could expand beyond the american borders, it only makes for a more profitable enterprise and it give American football a global flavor. Lets not be so USA-centric...the world is more than just our back yard.

LL

LONDON - The St. Louis Rams will play a regular-season NFL game in London in each of the next three seasons, first facing the New England Patriots in 2012.

The Rams and Patriots will play on Oct. 28 at Wembley Stadium, the NFL said Friday. It’s the sixth straight year the league will play regular-season games in the British capital.

“We are confident that having the Rams host one game in the UK in each of the next three seasons will allow us to better serve the growing popularity of our sport beyond the borders of the United States,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

The NFL has been trying to bring two games a season to Britain, but the league said the Rams-Patriots contest would be the only one in 2012.

The NFL first played at Wembley in 2007, with the New York Giants beating the Miami Dolphins 13-10. Since then, seven other teams have visited Britain, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers making the trip twice.

The Patriots have already been to London, beating the Bucs 35-7 in 2009. The Bucs returned this season, losing to the Chicago Bears 24-18 in October — the first of the Wembley games that wasn’t a sellout.

The Rams are owned by Stan Kroenke, who is also the majority shareholder in English club Arsenal.

“We’ve seen first-hand the increased popularity of the NFL not only in London but throughout Europe,” Kroenke said. “To play a role in that growth over the next three years will be incredible and is a testament to the many good things happening not only in the NFL but also in the St. Louis Rams organization.”

It's funny, in all of my traveling the one thing I've come to find is that people across the world really dig American football as a sport. They respect that they're freak athletes and enjoy the game itself. The one thing that turns them away is all the commercials, the constant stoppage of games...etc. Can't say I disagree too much. They're just so used to ads being handled a totally different way.

It's funny, in all of my traveling the one thing I've come to find is that people across the world really dig American football as a sport. They respect that they're freak athletes and enjoy the game itself. The one thing that turns them away is all the commercials, the constant stoppage of games...etc. Can't say I disagree too much. They're just so used to ads being handled a totally different way.

The funny thing is that the stoppages, and the TV ads are what made the NFL so successful

say your a Rams fan...they'll probably charge you the same amount but yet you only get 7 home games now

or say you're someone who works on game day...they just took away 1/8 of your work time

edit: oh and i'm sure the players love traveling to england and spending their bye weeks jetlagged lol

The Queen needs her football.

Actually I think its more an indictment of the Rams weak a$$ fanbase that had the 2nd lowest attendance in the league last year.

I think the whole UK thing is a joke. Remember when the NFL announced they were going to start playing one game worldwide each season? Started off with a game in Mexico, since then it's been London since.

I'm not in favour of these international games, but why hasn't Germany gotten at least a game? After all, during the days of NFL Europe, the Germans were still going to games long after the Monarchs and Claymores had gone t!ts up through lack of interest.

At least with the Rams getting the Patriots this year and being the "home" team over the next couple of seasons, means the Jets won't have to worry about going abroad to play.

Actually I think its more an indictment of the Rams weak a$$ fanbase that had the 2nd lowest attendance in the league last year.

What is old is new again.

What better way is tthere than to fire a shot across the bow of St. Louis than to send home games to Europe.

Archived