How do the compensatory picks work for us?

GREENBEAN

Does anyone know what our situation is in that area this year? Also does it matter that we chose not to resign FA's and then they signed elsewhere ? Does that count for us?

This season we lost , Edwards, Ellis, Smith, Coleman, Weatherford, cotchery? Anybody else?

Do we get a pick for all of those guys? Thanks fellas.

Only get picks for guys we lost to free agency. It doesn't count if we cut them like Cotchery or Taylor.

The formula's a little weird. They factor in how much the contract is to the players' new teams, and then I think they factor in other intangible stuff like starts or effectiveness. It's not exact and the NFL doesn't release their formula (if I remember right).

But no one there is getting more than a 5th rounder at the most for Smith. Hard to say with Ellis; his contract $ wasn't insignificant, but it was only a 1 year deal and he did squat this season. Almost all would be 6th or 7th rounders.

Then those picks get canceled out, one for one, by any FA's we signed from other teams.

Only get picks for guys we lost to free agency. It doesn't count if we cut them like Cotchery or Taylor.

The formula's a little weird. They factor in how much the contract is to the players' new teams, and then I think they factor in other intangible stuff like starts or effectiveness. It's not exact and the NFL doesn't release their formula (if I remember right).

But no one there is getting more than a 5th rounder at the most for Smith. Hard to say with Ellis; his contract $ wasn't insignificant, but it was only a 1 year deal and he did squat this season. Almost all would be 6th or 7th rounders.

Then those picks get canceled out, one for one, by any FA's we signed from other teams.

Here are the Rules

Teams can receive a maximum of four compensatory picks

- The maximum value of a compensatory pick is a third rounder

- Compensatory picks are added at the end of each round

- Only qualifying UFA losses count towards the calculation of how many picks are owed

- Qualifying UFA gains are offset against UFA losses and picks are only awarded to the extent that losses exceed gains

- To qualify, you must be an unrestricted free agent whose contract expired (or, in some cases, was voided) at the end of the previous season. RFA’s, even RFA’s that became UFA’s as a result of not being tendered do not qualify and neither do players who were cut, waived or released.

- Players signed after the end of the free agent signing period (usually the last week in June, but the lockout pushed this to the end of August in 2011) and players released before week 10 by their new teams do not qualify.

- The draft round value of the players appears to be mainly based on the annual value of their new contract, but playing time and postseason honors factor into things as well. For example, a player failing to have the required amount of playing time could become non-qualifying or a player with postseason honors might get bumped up to a higher round if they are on the bubble.

There was an article about this, i'll try to find it.

Ellis will likely return a 5th round pick, because his contract was in the 4-5 million range. It won't go higher because he only had seven tackles and one sack.

Ihedigbo will result in a 6-7 rounder because of playing time reached. Maybe higher because he started 12 games and had 69 tackles, unlikely, but I don't know the formula or previous comparisons.

Brad Smith got a $15 million contract but had little playing time, he could result in a 6th rounder.

Braylon Edwards, might not result in anything, though I hope he returns to NYJ, At best he could get a 7th rounder.

Drew Coleman based on playing time could result in a seventh rounder.

Since the Jets didn't sign any big free agents from anyone these picks won't likely be offset

Cool.

So it's interesting, a 1 year $4M deal would theoretically carry more weight than a 4 year $15M deal or whatever Smith got. I thought the total value of the contract might play some part but I guess not.

One thing this guy's dead wrong about, though, is at the end of his article he suggests the Jets could package some of these picks to move up. Unless something's changed in the new CBA, a team cannot trade compensatory picks to another team for any reason.

thanks for finding that great article. So the total should be at least 3 extra picks, maybe 4. I forgot that the Jets might also get a pick for the conditional trade of Lowery which is not a compensatory pick

I don't think they don't officially announce this until early March but I could be wrong

What a great article. Thanks man. I understand this so well at this point that I plan on making a friend of mine look stupid with this info.

"what do you mean you don't understand how the compensatory picks work? Here... it goes like this. " LOL

Thanks guys.

I am excited about the idea of having two 5s and 2-3 6's and some 7's . that's where the depth and gems are found IMO. When you have more than one pick in the last few rounds it makes it possible to take some chances on guys and be creative. I like that. This could be a pivitol draft for us.

Does anyone know what our situation is in that area this year? Also does it matter that we chose not to resign FA's and then they signed elsewhere ? Does that count for us?

This season we lost , Edwards, Ellis, Smith, Coleman, Weatherford, cotchery? Anybody else?

Do we get a pick for all of those guys? Thanks fellas.

It better work well for us, thats all I know.

Tannenbaum really cleans up in the later rounds. Does Scotty McKnight have a little brother playing anywhere?

While your point is well taken, you don't think actually having more than one or two in the last 3 rds can be put to good use? Kerley looks good and Slauson is not terrible :)

While your point is well taken, you don't think actually having more than one or two in the last 3 rds can be put to good use? Kerley looks good and Slauson is not terrible :)

:D More picks are always better. I hope he sticks with them, kicks Rex and Westhoff out of the room, and gives Clinkscales control of the operation this year. Try something different instead of playing "OK, everybody gets to use a draft pick!"

:biggrin: More picks are always better. I hope he sticks with them, kicks Rex and Westhoff out of the room, and gives Clinkscales control of the operation this year. Try something different instead of playing "OK, everybody gets to use a draft pick!"

No more hand picked FB's?????

Archived