Fletcher Cox DE/DT Mississippi State

SenorGato

All this talk of the OLBs and pass rush that we ignore it's possible to generate pass rush from the DE position as well here. Sure it takes a unique size and athleticism to be that guy, but that's where the 6'4" 295-305 comes in. He's put up 20 TFL and 7.5 sacks in the past two years playing mostly DT, but that does little to tell you what kind of player he is. He's dropped into coverage and looked smoother than Upshaw doing it. He's fast. The motor is non-stop. His game fits as a 3-4 DE, a 4-3 DE, a 4-3 DT, and he can even do creative things like drop back and play LB on the random.

I know I know...DL is the strongest part of the roster. As attached as I am to Rito Pito and friends, I believe room can be made for clear upgrades who know how to create a new line of scrimmage rather than wall off the old one.

Cox is my #1 DT right now. He should be gone. If he's not he's possibly the BAP (and I'd have no prob with that pick). They say he could run 40 in the 4.7 range. That coupled with his pass rush production (Which Brockers doesn't have) should make him rise. A team like the Eagles at 15 should be his floor.

Cox is my #1 DT right now. He should be gone. If he's not he's possibly the BAP (and I'd have no prob with that pick). They say he could run 40 in the 4.7 range. That coupled with his pass rush production (Which Brockers doesn't have) should make him rise. A team like the Eagles at 15 should be his floor.

I agree with this....I think he's going to 13 tbh....but man you really never think a prospect will fall to the Jets.

He is f'n perfect for this D though...One of the more badass players in the draft.

..but man you really never think a prospect will fall to the Jets.

assume the worst and hope for the best. the years when I construct the mock draft to screw the jets the hardest are the years I am most accurate. alot of people make mocks on what they hope will happen, that's a mistake I'm trying to avoid.

btw when's the last time the Jets got lucky and some amazing prospect fell to them in rd 1? Mangold?

even so called great prospects kyle Wilson and Muhammad Wilkerson were good not great.

assume the worst and hope for the best. the years when I construct the mock draft to screw the jets the hardest are the years I am most accurate. alot of people make mocks on what they hope will happen, that's a mistake I'm trying to avoid.

btw when's the last time the Jets got lucky and some amazing prospect fell to them in rd 1? Mangold?

even so called great prospects kyle Wilson and Muhammad Wilkerson were good not great.

sh*t man you're really on your game with the draft this year. Agreed on everything here, though I do wishful thinking mocks up until maybe late March-ish (partially because who cares before that and also because no one pays).

talk about change of direction for a second.

Cox ran the 3-cone in about 7.07, thats actually a linebacker number (or a very fast DE). Vinny Curry actually ran it in 6.9 flat that would say more about his ability to play linebacker than the 40 yard dash.

contrarily Nick Perry ran it 7.25 that means he's basically a straight ahead 4-3 DE all the way.

How about Poe's big a$$ running under a 4.9 at 347lbs. Jesus he's a tank.

certainly has the bulk they are looking for... if the Jets re-sign Pouha that means they don't want Poe. He's a great NT prospect I don't think the 4.9 changes what he does for the team on 3rd down.

certainly has the bulk they are looking for... if the Jets re-sign Pouha that means they don't want Poe. He's a great NT prospect I don't think the 4.9 changes what he does for the team on 3rd down.

I don't think the Jets are going to take him I was just shocked he ran so fast for a big ****er, which doesn't really mean much for a NT but still impressive. If we do take a NT I hope it's Ta'amu or DL Mike Martin later on.

I don't think the Jets are going to take him I was just shocked he ran so fast for a big ****er, which doesn't really mean much for a NT but still impressive. If we do take a NT I hope it's Ta'amu or DL Mike Martin later on.

I think Poe will be alot like Ngata playing up and down

He's my pick...I saw enough today

I don't think the Jets are going to take him

Im sure that Rex was impressed. any coach looking would want that guy on his defense, especially a 3-4 coach. all the buzz had him linked to Kansas City pre combine at 11 and that's only gonna get sured up right now. They don't really have a NT.

I think Cox if available at 16 is a better pick than Ingram or Upshaw. Helps the pass rush, an elite athlete with no questions about how he physically fits the position or his motor. Just a cleaner prospect than either of them - don't think Upshaw is that good of an athlete (which is part of why he didn't run today), Ingram needs to be moved around to be effective, and they both have size questions in terms of height/arm length.

Hopefully teams pass on Curry due to that 40, the 3 cone that Bit mentioned is exactly what I saw in him too. Think he's definitely capable of playing LB, would be a solid pick in the second round.

What do you think of Kendall Reyes U-Conn? He had a good week at the Senior Bowl and put up some nice numbers in Indy. 6'4", 300pnds, 34" vertical, 36 reps. Maybe possible in round 2? I know it’s not popular because lots of people feel the Jets are 'fine' at d-line but if they draft an end maybe they dump DeVito and his $3m salary? I mean the wagon don't move without horses.

What do you think of Kendall Reyes U-Conn? He had a good week at the Senior Bowl and put up some nice numbers in Indy. 6'4", 300pnds, 34" vertical, 36 reps. Maybe possible in round 2? I know it’s not popular because lots of people feel the Jets are 'fine' at d-line but if they draft an end maybe they dump DeVito and his $3m salary? I mean the wagon don't move without horses.

reyes is having a great spring, he is on the first round cusp at this point. He's another gap shooter not really a gap clogger, altho Rex would love to find a place for him. He was excellent at the Senior Bowl, made a ton of plays.

side note I don't know why you keep proposing they cut Devito? He was an excellent 3-4 DE when healthy. would be welcome on any of other the 3-4 teams, as a starter.

Hopefully teams pass on Curry due to that 40, the 3 cone that Bit mentioned is exactly what I saw in him too. Think he's definitely capable of playing LB, would be a solid pick in the second round.

They say Curry looked bad in the standup drills. It's still a guess (hope?) if he can play LB. The combine didn't really answer that question in the affirmative.

They say Nick Perry looked tight but capable. Kerrigan and Aldon Smith had similar reports last year.

They say Curry looked bad in the standup drills. It's still a guess (hope?) if he can play LB. The combine didn't really answer that question in the affirmative.

They say Nick Perry looked tight but capable. Kerrigan and Aldon Smith had similar reports last year.

Unless you're Von Miller or DeMarcus Ware I think everyone who tries to play DE/OLB hears about how stiff/tight they look.

Curry might not even be a 2nd rounder anymore...which sucks for him but could be great for whoever drafts him.

reyes is having a great spring, he is on the first round cusp at this point. He's another gap shooter not really a gap clogger, altho Rex would love to find a place for him. He was excellent at the Senior Bowl, made a ton of plays.

side note I don't know why you keep proposing they cut Devito? He was an excellent 3-4 DE when healthy. would be welcome on any of other the 3-4 teams, as a starter.

It's not personal, I just look at a guy the team could cut/threaten to get some cap relief. He is a FA in 2013 so a replacement this year would not be crazy.

Your right DeVito's play is fine when healthy but the team got by without him for many games last year. I feel like if they draft a guy even if he's not great the team will survive. If he is good there is Devito's replacement.

I don't know if people realize how bad the cap situation is. You can only get actual salary reductions from Smith, DeVito or Sanchez. They could approach Moore and Keller but I don’t think they want to upset Moore for $500k and they have no leverage over Keller.

Devito could be replaced by a cheaper alternative, this is possible, plenty of good players are cap causalities, DeVito might be one.

sh*t man you're really on your game with the draft this year. Agreed on everything here, though I do wishful thinking mocks up until maybe late March-ish (partially because who cares before that and also because no one pays).

Well Lots care because it's the future of the franchise the draft that is how you build your business. You find the best scouts and you draft them. Your mentality is that of " Let another team draft a GREAT PLAYER and when their contract is up let's try to sign them" superbowl winners take chances and SCOUT EARLY and draft the best don't wait till March to catch up so your argument Mr. March-ish makes you look stupid

Do you wait till the day of the mid-term to study? No you don't you watch the progressions of players pre-season all-americans don't end up post-season all-americans because it is a maturation process its about a playerstrue ability and you see WHY they aren't all-american throught the year this is why we get the Vernon Gholston's of the world and winners get late round picks because they did their homework that become starters and pro bowler. I think in the NFL they call it a season, if your not built for a NFL Season then it is what it is.

In Short, if you don't have a positive to say on the site please go to the next site (preferably another site) and give your negative comments this is for those who want to contribute to the site.

Well Lots care because it's the future of the franchise the draft that is how you build your business. You find the best scouts and you draft them. Your mentality is that of " Let another team draft a GREAT PLAYER and when their contract is up let's try to sign them" superbowl winners take chances and SCOUT EARLY and draft the best don't wait till March to catch up so your argument Mr. March-ish makes you look stupid

Do you wait till the day of the mid-term to study? No you don't you watch the progressions of players pre-season all-americans don't end up post-season all-americans because it is a maturation process its about a playerstrue ability and you see WHY they aren't all-american throught the year this is why we get the Vernon Gholston's of the world and winners get late round picks because they did their homework that become starters and pro bowler. I think in the NFL they call it a season, if your not built for a NFL Season then it is what it is.

In Short, if you don't have a positive to say on the site please go to the next site (preferably another site) and give your negative comments this is for those who want to contribute to the site.

Pretty sure Gato was just saying that any mock prior to mid-march is pointless, as without the combine, pro-days and FA it's just conjecture. A for effort though.

All this talk of the OLBs and pass rush that we ignore it's possible to generate pass rush from the DE position as well here. Sure it takes a unique size and athleticism to be that guy, but that's where the 6'4" 295-305 comes in. He's put up 20 TFL and 7.5 sacks in the past two years playing mostly DT, but that does little to tell you what kind of player he is. He's dropped into coverage and looked smoother than Upshaw doing it. He's fast. The motor is non-stop. His game fits as a 3-4 DE, a 4-3 DE, a 4-3 DT, and he can even do creative things like drop back and play LB on the random.

I know I know...DL is the strongest part of the roster. As attached as I am to Rito Pito and friends, I believe room can be made for clear upgrades who know how to create a new line of scrimmage rather than wall off the old one.

Would love for us to draft this kid. He looks like the next Shaun Ellis. Pair him with Wilkerson (the next Seymour) and you got trouble for Brady.

Archived