Vrentas: This is an apology extension

Sperm Edwards

It's an apology extension. The Jets put out feelers for Peyton Manning, and they were quickly rebuffed. This is Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson's way of saying sorry. On the bright side, the extension should lower Sanchez's salary cap number in 2012, giving the Jets room to operate in free agency. The downside is much worse, of course, especially if Sanchez continues his regression. At the very best, he's plateaued since entering the league. The extension will make the Jets a much less enticing landing spot for free agent quarterbacks that want a legitimate chance to start. Sanchez won't be "competing" for his job anymore.

Source: Jenny Vrentas on Twitter Mar 9 -

It's an apology extension. The Jets put out feelers for Peyton Manning, and they were quickly rebuffed. This is Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson's way of saying sorry. On the bright side, the extension should lower Sanchez's salary cap number in 2012, giving the Jets room to operate in free agency. The downside is much worse, of course, especially if Sanchez continues his regression. At the very best, he's plateaued since entering the league. The extension will make the Jets a much less enticing landing spot for free agent quarterbacks that want a legitimate chance to start. Sanchez won't be "competing" for his job anymore.

Source: Jenny Vrentas on Twitter Mar 9 -

An apology extension. lmfao. Where do these writers come up with this sh*t? Its an extension to show a little faith and create cap space for this season. Thats it, thats all. If anyone thought the NY Jets were going into the 2012 season with a different QB than Mark Sanchez, they were pipe dreaming.

An apology extension. lmfao. Where do these writers come up with this sh*t? Its an extension to show a little faith and create cap space for this season. Thats it, thats all. If anyone thought the NY Jets were going into the 2012 season with a different QB than Mark Sanchez, they were pipe dreaming.

Personally, I was really hoping that the Jets would spend a boatload of money on a qb who recently went through 4 neck surgeries, has not played a down in 14 months, will be 36 years old in a few weeks.

Heck, sign the guy without having doctors look at him, or without having him throw for you.

My off season is shattered.

Personally, I was really hoping that the Jets would spend a boatload of money on a qb who recently went through 4 neck surgeries, has not played a down in 14 months, will be 36 years old in a few weeks.

Heck, sign the guy without having doctors look at him, or without having him throw for you.

And the fact that the above scenario would've been far more preferable than what actually transpired speaks volumes about what can be expected in the next two years for the NY Jets...

it really is a dumb idea, when you put it out there like that. Let's imagine he's 100% healthy. How rusty is he gonna be with a whole year away from the game?

And the fact that the above scenario would've been far more preferable than what actually transpired speaks volumes about what can be expected in the next two years for the NY Jets...

I will actually enjoy it much more.

I would like to believe that the Jets actually made this decision based on their own volition, but I get the sneaky feeling it was made for them.

It signals a course of possibly trying to build a team smartly, rather than making moves and statements to occupy back pages of newspapers. Maybe they made one small step forward here.

it really is a dumb idea, when you put it out there like that. Let's imagine he's 100% healthy. How rusty is he gonna be with a whole year away from the game?

It signals a course of possibly trying to build a team smartly, rather than making moves and statements to occupy back pages of newspapers. Maybe they made one small step forward here.

I am of the belief that a rusty, 36-year old, 60% Peyton Manning is still better than 100% of Mark Sanchez, so I have to disagree.

I never saw the downside to signing Manning, as either way, they'd be looking for a new QB in two years' time.

I am of the belief that a rusty, 36-year old, 60% Peyton Manning is still better than 100% of Mark Sanchez, so I have to disagree.

I never saw the downside to signing Manning, as either way, they'd be looking for a new QB in two years' time.

You run your fandom the way you want to run it, I will run my fandom the way I want to run it.

The variable ignored here is Woody Johnson. Rex and Tanny sold Woody on getting Sanchez. Woody has paid him a lot of money and they had success. Remember the hug Sanchez gave Woody after the Bengals playoff victory not long after Woody's daughter died. It was like Sanchez was consoling Woody.

The Peyton pursuit made sense, but once he shot the Jets down they had no other choice. Rex and Tanny had to go all in on Sanchez because Woody is likely going to fire at least one of them if Sanchez fails at any point.

Now, the problem is that the Jets needed Sanchez to renegotiate for 2012 to clear cap space. Without the Peyton situation, Sanchez could call Rex & Tanny's bluff. "You're going to cut me if I don't agree? Fine, then cut me and bring in someone else. How long are you going to have a job after that?"

The Jets couldn't convert salary to bonus for his last 2 years because that doesn't provide any cap relief. Thus, the only other option was a cosmetic extension of 3 years. And, plus, the extension works as an endorsement of Sanchez in the locker room. You're an annonymous source? Fine. Guess who's going to be here longer.

I think it is impossible that this is an apology contract. not enough time to get this done between inquiring about Peyton and signing the contract. This contract was close to being done or done and the Jets had the obligation of checking on Peyton imo. If he was willing to sign an incentive laden contract then we could bring him in, anything less and he goes and plays for someone else. I think that Tanny and Rex would have been more on the hook ala mangini/favre if we had gotten Peyton.

It's true. What if Manning came in here and put up a season of 56.7%, 3474 yards (6.4 YPA), 26 TD, 18 INT, and 10 fumbles? You just can't justify paying big for that kind of mediocrity.

Rusty Manning >>>>>>> Sanchez

I'm assuming all the naysayers are hoping Mannign signs with Miami, since it's going to be such a disaster?

This. Maybe it pays off...big if but if Sanchez were to break out then his contract is a bargain. If not then cut him in 2013 and new GM/HC are no worse for the wear.

I've said it before but it would not surprise me if Dipsh*t suddenly had a good season in his late 20's and put together a solid career from there.

I'm already hating myself for this but I've heard that Sanchez still is backed by most of the solid vets like Mangold, Pouha, DBrick...That might be a good thing.

Rusty Manning >>>>>>> Sanchez I'm assuming all the naysayers are hoping Mannign signs with Miami, since it's going to be such a disaster?

No one is even sure you get a rusty Manning. And, a rusty manning does not get the Jets any further than an ineffective Sanchez did.

What does "hoping" where a player goes have anything to do with reality.

Some people are more concerned with what other teams do, rather than trying to have their own team succeed.

This. Maybe it pays off...big if but if Sanchez were to break out then his contract is a bargain. If not then cut him in 2013 and new GM/HC are no worse for the wear.

I've said it before but it would not surprise me if Dipsh*t suddenly had a good season in his late 20's and put together a solid career from there.

I'm already hating myself for this but I've heard that Sanchez still is backed by most of the solid vets like Mangold, Pouha, DBrick...That might be a good thing.

He's pretty sh*tty, so its not beyond the realm of possibility that he improves. Either way, the team won 11 games with him and beat Manning and Brady on the road in the playoffs. Its not the worst situation in the world. The Jets most certainly can win with him. For as bad as he's been, he's never had a losing season. There's something to be said about that...I'm just not sure what.

He's pretty sh*tty, so its not beyond the realm of possibility that he improves. Either way, the team won 11 games with him and beat Manning and Brady on the road in the playoffs. Its not the worst situation in the world. The Jets most certainly can win with him. For as bad as he's been, he's never had a losing season. There's something to be said about that...I'm just not sure what.

As terrible as everyone says that he is, he has at least twice taken the jets to the brink of the SB.

Others will say that it was the immense talent around him, that allowed the Jets to reach those heights.

What this deal does, is allow them to put talent around him. That formula has worked before

Upside. Potential.

It's the ballsiest move the Jets have made pretty much ever, and it's not nearly as dumb as giving an injured QB 64 million. I can't kill it yet, especially since new GM/HC will be able to get out of it just in time for 2014.

For as bad as he's been, he's never had a losing season. There's something to be said about that...I'm just not sure what.

That he got drafted by a team with a defense that finished in the top-5 in DVOA (1st, 5th, and 2nd) in each of his first 3 seasons in the league?

Exactly the position the Jets are in today, except that in the case of Manning, he has a proven track record to go on... counting on Sanchez to be even mediocre is blind faith at this point.

I am comforted in the fact that the jets ARE NOT going to pay a 36 year old, injured QB based on track record. That would be doing business as they have in the past.

Track records of 36 year old QB, that are coming off major surgeries are not good in this league. Regardless what they have done in the past.

5 Years ago? i would be all in on Manning. Today? meh

As terrible as everyone says that he is, he has at least twice taken the jets to the brink of the SB.

Others will say that it was the immense talent around him, that allowed the Jets to reach those heights.

What this deal does, is allow them to put talent around him. That formula has worked before

Make no mistake. Mark Sanchez had very little to do with those runs. But thats okay because he also didnt get in the way of them (like he did this season) and at times was a vital part.

I hate they guy as much as the next hater because he's infuriating to watch and I dont like his pouty attitude but I'm also realistic. He's our guy, that wasnt going to change this season. He hasnt had a losing season yet and Rex is confident in him. I <3 Rex, so lets hope he's right.

Upside. Potential.

It's the ballsiest move the Jets have made pretty much ever, and it's not nearly as dumb as giving an injured QB 64 million. I can't kill it yet, especially since new GM/HC will be able to get out of it just in time for 2014.

I'd have love to have Manning but its was a pipe dream. And there isnt anyone out there that is that big of an upgrade...slight, maybe...but huge, not at all. So we're stuck with the kid. I hope he can improve because I dont want a new HC. I think Rex is the guy to bring us a SB.

So, are you saying that QB is not an important position?

Trying to understand what you are saying with that type of comment.

PS-Kevin Elster was in as a replacement late in Game 6.

Sanchez was along for the ride.... SS is an important position too, no?

Elster was in during Game 6 because Heep pinch hit for Santana against Clemens with runners on 1st and 3rd w/ no outs (and Ojeda on-deck) and grounded into a double play.... had the Mets lost that game, that would've been a pivotal moment, as they had a chance to take the lead there.

I'd have love to have Manning but its was a pipe dream. And there isnt anyone out there that is that big of an upgrade...slight, maybe...but huge, not at all. So we're stuck with the kid. I hope he can improve because I dont want a new HC. I think Rex is the guy to bring us a SB.

Agreed all around...I'm not shedding tears overs losing out on Jason fn Campbell or David sh*ttin Garrard. I also dont firmly believe that Sanchez's window is closed as far as becoming a good NFL QB. The 3rd year pro and former 13 start junior entree didn't even get a TC. I know no one else did, but right ow I couldn't give a damn about other teams.

This offseason is interesting, and personally I like what they've done so far. It's quiet and the moves can be explain logically...that's as high as I set my bar.

Sanchez was along for the ride.... SS is an important position too, no?

Elster was in during Game 6 because Heep pinch hit for Santana against Clemens with runners on 1st and 3rd w/ no outs (and Ojeda on-deck) and grounded into a double play.... had the Mets lost that game, that would've been a pivotal moment, as they had a chance to take the lead there.

So, the Mets won withSantana, they can win with Sanchez, I agree.

Since we're trotting out this guy AGAIN, I have no choice but to accept. That being said, We are going to have to make some good moves. 1) bring back Braylon Edwards. 2) Try and sign D. Freeney, or John Abraham ( remember him? ) 3) I dont know where to get two of these guys, but in our division, Safety and free safety are THE MOST important positions, defensively . Maybe in the entire league!!! We need to make this a MAJOR PRIORITY!!!! 4) Maybe with a new OC, Sanchez might improve. I Honestly think that is a HUGE strettttttttttch of the imagination, but with Braylon , Holmes , Dustin, and his newley formed bond with Kereley, he may find some familiarity moving frwrd, to be a comfort zone for him that obviously was lacking this year!!! 5 ) Nickel Back, 2 more LBS. 6) QB!! Sanchez needs to feel the heat of REAL competition at his position. That competition , to me, needs to be a Big, Strong armed guy with servicable skills. Kinda like Vinney was!! Sanchez led the league in batted balls, Im almost certain of that, This , Like what im saying or not, is a gigantic problem for us!!................................Go JETS!!!!!! :box:

Archived