So my kid *loves* skateboarding...

JerryK

And I'm not sure how to handle it. I can tell this is a passion with him, and I've always said I'd identify my kids' passions and then teach them to work hard at them. He could be really good at it, since his interest is coming this early.

At the same time, I want my kid to go to college, and neither dress like Frankenstein nor staple his lips to his nipples.

I think we'll make regular trips to the skate park early, like 7am..assuming the idiots of the crowd sleep in.

Am I crazy to think my kid can do this sport *and* be expected to respect education?

(I'm not really some stuffy old fart, I just don't want losers for kids)

And I'm not sure how to handle it. I can tell this is a passion with him, and I've always said I'd identify my kids' passions and then teach them to work hard at them. He could be really good at it, since his interest is coming this early.

At the same time, I want my kid to go to college, and neither dress like Frankenstein nor staple his lips to his nipples.

I think we'll make regular trips to the skate park early, like 7am..assuming the idiots of the crowd sleep in.

Am I crazy to think my kid can do this sport *and* be expected to respect education?

(I'm not really some stuffy old fart, I just don't want losers for kids)

While I grew up playing organized sports, I was also part of the surf/skate crowd and I still am in my 30's. Those are my 2 biggest passions in life. I surf and skate as much as possible. Did I dress, act, listen, do and say things my parents never wanted...absolutely. Didnt stop me from going to a great school, getting a degree and having a great job, making great money.

Support it. Its a great sport. Encourage individuality. Just because he's into it doesnt mean he has to be just like everyone else in the scene. The beauty of those sports is it fosters creativity. The sport itself is a lot about doing the most radical thing possible but its all about being focus and determined to land a trick. You fall, you get back up and try again until you master it. The reality is, its a great life lesson type sport because of those factors and you can point to the losers who got too involved in the scene and look where it took them. You can be the sickest skater in the park and be a straight A student.

Huge surf/skate contingent that I hung with at the University of Florida - most of those guys are now doctors, lawyers or some type of professional.

I skated from eighth grade all the way through high school and I turned out fine. I still hop on the board every so often but I don't bend like I used to. Both my nephews skate, and they're good kids.

I wouldn't worry about it. Skateboarding is much less of a "fringe" activity like it used to be in the '80s and '90s, what with the Rob Dyrdeks and the Tony Hawks giving it mainstream appeal. The vast majority of skaters are bright, well-adjusted kids.

While I grew up playing organized sports, I was also part of the surf/skate crowd and I still am in my 30's. Those are my 2 biggest passions in life. I surf and skate as much as possible. Did I dress, act, listen, do and say things my parents never wanted...absolutely. Didnt stop me from going to a great school, getting a degree and having a great job, making great money.

Support it. Its a great sport. Encourage individuality. Just because he's into it doesnt mean he has to be just like everyone else in the scene. The beauty of those sports is it fosters creativity. The sport itself is a lot about doing the most radical thing possible but its all about being focus and determined to land a trick. You fall, you get back up and try again until you master it. The reality is, its a great life lesson type sport because of those factors and you can point to the losers who got too involved in the scene and look where it took them. You can be the sickest skater in the park and be a straight A student.

Huge surf/skate contingent that I hung with at the University of Florida - most of those guys are now doctors, lawyers or some type of professional.

skatin' loser...;)

Skateboarding is like soccer or karate practice for the kids now, tons of skate parks all over the place that parents drop their kids at. The punk rock skateboarder image is somehow still embedded in the minds of people, but the truth is that ship set sail a quarter century ago. Skateboarding is a disciplined activity, no time for losers and rejects. Every skateboarder that I know or knew all got their education, well, except for Heath, but he retired from professional skateboarding in his early 30's, and he will never have to work another day in his life. :)

Just be prepared for hospital visits.

annoying parents with the way you dress, the things you do to your hair, and the body parts you staple is part of a kids job to achieve separation. making sure they stay in school despite trying to annoy you is part of a parents job. there's way worse things in life than skateboarding. I picked much worse ways to annoy and my mom had to exert serious control to keep me in school. both were necessary or I'd have lived at home till I was 26 like my sister, who never did anything to annoy anyone and who worships education.

also, Frankenstein was one of the greatest movies ever made, not quite as perfect as bride of Frankenstein but still, 1931, amazing piece of work. and Karloff deserves all the respect in the world for it, and it's still a great goth look, which says something about James whale but that's off topic.

on topic... really time to start choosing your battles. there will be many and some will be worth it and some... will be about skateboards and clothes and hair and staples.

best of luck.

Archived