Ever Wonder Why You Can't Afford To Take Your Kid To a Game?

Lizard King

• All four leagues and the Professional Golfers' Association of America, or PGA, offer pension plans. In addition, the NFL offers a 401(k) with a 200 percent match, and the NBA offers a 401(k) with a 140 percent match.

There you go.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/professional-athletes-big-league-tax-071447565.html;_ylc=X3oDMTNuOXBva3NrBF9TAzExODMzMDg3MzEEYWN0A21haWxfY2IEY3QDYQRpbnRsA3VzBGxhbmcDZW4tVVMEcGtnAzE1NTY3ZmI5LTI3YTItM2UwZS1iYzVjLWEyZmRjZGVhZDcxMARzZWMDbWl0X3NoYXJlBHNsawNtYWlsBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

this is not even close to why ticket prices are so high. keep in mind league revenues in the form of Tv contracts are measured in the tens of billions.

How about the hundreds of millions of dollars the team borrowed to build the new stadium?

Yes I realize that this is just a drop in the bucket. However, it's a pretty ridiculous plan for players making millions of dollars.

I see both sides of this. Yes, the top players are making a ton of money. Many players are hovering around the minimum. Many players live their lives with debilitating injuries for the rest of their lives, and thats not limited to the top stars. When you look at the big picture, these guys have life long injuries all from providing us with entertainment on Sundays.

Personally, I have no problem with their 401K.

this is not even close to why ticket prices are so high. keep in mind league revenues in the form of Tv contracts are measured in the tens of billions.

How about the hundreds of millions of dollars the team borrowed to build the new stadium?

This is 30k per player * 32 teams * 53 players. 51 million a year. This doesn't count league employees etc.

It's not why tickets are what they are but it's not small change

As a person attempting to get his CPA, this is nonsense. The reason ticket prices are high is because people will pay it.

It's simple economics (101) It's price elasticity. You can keep stretching the price higher so long as your consumer will pay it.

Ever Wonder How The NFL Can Afford A 200% Match On Its Retirement Plan?

it's not small change

as of 2007 the NFL was getting a combined 20+ Billion for broadcast rights.

http://www.sportsbus...-07-Season.aspx

The Super Bowl, AFC on CBS, NFC on Fox, Sunday Night football on NBC, and Monday Night football on ESPN/ABC. Radio etc.

that was prior to the new contracts, they are probably in the 25 or even 30 billion dollar range now.

not including ticket prices or jersey sales.

51 million is alot of money to you and me, to the NFL it's chump change.

Broadway actually had the most astute comment, prices are high because the market will bear high prices.

Archived