Filling the three game gap...

Freemanm

I know last season was disappointing, but the fact is, I hear people talk about the Jets as if they went 1-15 last season. As we all know, the Jets were 8-8 last season, while the season before they were 11-5.

The question I have for everyone is, what happened last season that made the Jets three games worse than the season before?

In my opinion, the three losses were to Oakland, Denver and Miami (in the last game of the season).

Raiders loss - they lost because Mangold was injured, the Jets used a rookie to fill in for him, and the Raiders blitzed on every single play. So, the first reason for the three-game difference is offensive line. The Jets backups were underprepared, they didn't have anyone to fill Woody's shoes after he retired, Ducasse, Turner and Slauson aren't developing as quickly as the Jets hoped, and they lost. So, suggestion #1: a starting calibur guard or a tackle - or both.

Denver loss- Everyone says Tebow beat the Jets in that game. I don't think so. The Jets lost because of their offensive coordinator's lack of creativity. I don't remember the exact number, but the Jets were 27th in the league in terms of the average number of three-and-outs per game last season. There was zero creativitty on the part of Brian Schottenheimer, and zero progression on the part of Sanchez. The Jets lost that game because they could only scrape up 13 points against a very mediocre defense that ranked 19th in the league. The Jets already have done something to remedy this situation by getting rid of Brian Schottenheimer. In fact, I think Derrick Mason is a good receiver, but it was like Schottenheimer didn't quite know what to do with him.Let's hope they can sign another talented receiver and come up with plays that are actually design to move the ball downfield, a concept that Schottenheimer didn't seem to comprehend. Let's hope Sparano can do better.

Miami - lack of leadership. The Sanchez/Holmes fued comign to a head at the end of the game was simply unacceptable. I know everyone's blaming Rex for lack of control in the locker room, but the fact is, the coach doesn't dictate the locker room atmosphere, the players do. The coach doesn't come up wtih pregame rituals, practical jokes on the rookies, nor fueds between players - the players do that. The fact is that in 2011, the Jets had guys like Jason Taylor, Tony Richardson, Damien Woody and Shaun Ellis in the locker room. If two players were acting the way Sanchez and Holmes did, one of them would have kicked both of their asses. No one in the locker room stepped up to get in between them, because no one thought they had the right to. The answer to this is to sign a veteran who's in the twilight of his career, or players like Revis, Greene, Bryan Thomas (if he's stil there) or Brandon Moore have to step up to fill that void. Payers' characters are made when the team is losing - not when it's winning.

The Jets backups were underprepared, they didn't have anyone to fill Woody's shoes after he retired, Ducasse, Turner and Slauson aren't developing as quickly as the Jets hoped, and they lost. So, suggestion #1: a starting calibur guard or a tackle - or both.

You may have a point on Ducasse, but Turner spent the entire year on IR and Slauson started all 16 games and was arguably the Jets most consistent OL all season long. The Jets no doubt need an upgrade at RT (be it a new player or improvement out of someone they have), but the rest of the OL, health permitting, is hardly a concern. The next biggest concern on the OL would probably be having someone ready to take over for Moore given his age, but it sounds like that's what they see Schlauderaff as.

They didn't lose the Denver game because of Tebow or Schottenheimer. They lost it because Sanchez threw the pick 6. Without that it's an easy win. Having a conservative offensive game plan was the way to go in that game.

Players did step up during the Holmes thing in Miami. IIRC, Hunter and Moore stepped up and told Holmes to STFU in the huddle. That is what caused the rift that got him pulled. IF there was any lack of leadership it was from Sanchez. Washed up old players most of whom had almost no chance to be on the field at the time would not have changed things. Certainly not Ellis who is the one guy that *MIGHT* have deserved to stick, but not at that contract. LT was there and did step in. Plenty of guys did. It doesn't fix things, but let's not act like Damien Woody would have fixed any problems with leadership. The only thing he could have fixed was having a sh*tty RT.

I know last season was disappointing, but the fact is, I hear people talk about the Jets as if they went 1-15 last season. As we all know, the Jets were 8-8 last season, while the season before they were 11-5.

The question I have for everyone is, what happened last season that made the Jets three games worse than the season before?

In my opinion, the three losses were to Oakland, Denver and Miami (in the last game of the season).

Raiders loss - they lost because Mangold was injured, the Jets used a rookie to fill in for him, and the Raiders blitzed on every single play. So, the first reason for the three-game difference is offensive line. The Jets backups were underprepared, they didn't have anyone to fill Woody's shoes after he retired, Ducasse, Turner and Slauson aren't developing as quickly as the Jets hoped, and they lost. So, suggestion #1: a starting calibur guard or a tackle - or both.

Denver loss- Everyone says Tebow beat the Jets in that game. I don't think so. The Jets lost because of their offensive coordinator's lack of creativity. I don't remember the exact number, but the Jets were 27th in the league in terms of the average number of three-and-outs per game last season. There was zero creativitty on the part of Brian Schottenheimer, and zero progression on the part of Sanchez. The Jets lost that game because they could only scrape up 13 points against a very mediocre defense that ranked 19th in the league. The Jets already have done something to remedy this situation by getting rid of Brian Schottenheimer. In fact, I think Derrick Mason is a good receiver, but it was like Schottenheimer didn't quite know what to do with him.Let's hope they can sign another talented receiver and come up with plays that are actually design to move the ball downfield, a concept that Schottenheimer didn't seem to comprehend. Let's hope Sparano can do better.

Miami - lack of leadership. The Sanchez/Holmes fued comign to a head at the end of the game was simply unacceptable. I know everyone's blaming Rex for lack of control in the locker room, but the fact is, the coach doesn't dictate the locker room atmosphere, the players do. The coach doesn't come up wtih pregame rituals, practical jokes on the rookies, nor fueds between players - the players do that. The fact is that in 2011, the Jets had guys like Jason Taylor, Tony Richardson, Damien Woody and Shaun Ellis in the locker room. If two players were acting the way Sanchez and Holmes did, one of them would have kicked both of their asses. No one in the locker room stepped up to get in between them, because no one thought they had the right to. The answer to this is to sign a veteran who's in the twilight of his career, or players like Revis, Greene, Bryan Thomas (if he's stil there) or Brandon Moore have to step up to fill that void. Payers' characters are made when the team is losing - not when it's winning.

Hard to pin it on this game or that game...but overall, your point is spot on. People act like this team horrible, suck, worst in the league, rock bottom...I've literally heard it all since the end of the season. Fact is, in week 17, the Jets were still in the playoff hunt and at one point were 8-5 in control of their own destiny. If the Jets and Sanchez dont fall apart at the end of the season - they make another playoff run.

What do I think it was? Lack of offseason plus the CBA changes. The Jets play a physical brand of Football and with a shortened offseason and the lack of contact allowed in practice, it hurt the Jets. Injuries, players out of shape, players not knowing the system, etc. I think the lock out hurt too as the Jets really only pursued 1 FA while using that time to lock up their cornerstones.

IMO the lack of leadership is exaggerated. They just had the wrong leaders in place. You expect a guy like LT to be a leader. Clearly he's just a coward. As much as I love Holmes, you dont make him a Captain. And obviously Sanchez needs to man up. So bad decisions, some pretty good players depart, lack of offseason and you have a down year at 8-8.

The Jets will win 10-12 games and make the playoffs in 2012. Book it.

People also significantly overrate the two AFC championship teams. We played two soft teams the first year and shouldnt have even been in the playoffs. Get handled by the Colts and would have gotten handled in the Super Bowl.

Next year, a flukey 11-5 with some last second wins against crappy teams, get handled by the Steelers and would have been handled by Green Bay.

This team has significant holes all over the offense.

Hard to pin it on this game or that game...but overall, your point is spot on. People act like this team horrible, suck, worst in the league, rock bottom...I've literally heard it all since the end of the season. Fact is, in week 17, the Jets were still in the playoff hunt and at one point were 8-5 in control of their own destiny. If the Jets and Sanchez dont fall apart at the end of the season - they make another playoff run.

What do I think it was? Lack of offseason plus the CBA changes. The Jets play a physical brand of Football and with a shortened offseason and the lack of contact allowed in practice, it hurt the Jets. Injuries, players out of shape, players not knowing the system, etc. I think the lock out hurt too as the Jets really only pursued 1 FA while using that time to lock up their cornerstones.

IMO the lack of leadership is exaggerated. They just had the wrong leaders in place. You expect a guy like LT to be a leader. Clearly he's just a coward. As much as I love Holmes, you dont make him a Captain. And obviously Sanchez needs to man up. So bad decisions, some pretty good players depart, lack of offseason and you have a down year at 8-8.

The Jets will win 10-12 games and make the playoffs in 2012. Book it.

I read your post very intently but must disagree with it. For me the Denver game did our season in. It was the beginning of the end. When I saw Eric Smith :disgust: lean inside thus giving the outside to Tebow so he could run for the game winning TD I just knew the season was over.

As far as the lock out and a shortened off season ... didn't EVERY team have that ? No excuse there.

IMHO you CAN'T understate the value of leadership. Take that Denver game , someone, ANYONE on D needed the make a huge play and stop them on that final drive. Cause a fumble, sack Tebow, get a pick ... SOMETHING. But no one stepped up. No one took control and made a play. There was NO leadership that day or for much of the season for that matter.

I had us going 9-7 before the start of last year and not making the playoffs . Please tell me where we have improved since then ? I'm not overly impressed with the FA's we've brought in. Obviously with all of them getting only 1 year contracts the FO can't be over joyed with any of them either. Landry was a decent signing IF ( and that's a big IF) he can stay on the field. We're STILL in need of another safety as well as a RT. How are Sanchez and Holmes going to get along ? Who is Sanchez going to be throwing to ? So where HAVE we improved?

I hope you're right with the 10-12 wins but I see us lucky to get back to 8-8 at the point.

People also significantly overrate the two AFC championship teams. We played two soft teams the first year and shouldnt have even been in the playoffs. Get handled by the Colts and would have gotten handled in the Super Bowl.

Next year, a flukey 11-5 with some last second wins against crappy teams, get handled by the Steelers and would have been handled by Green Bay.

This team has significant holes all over the offense.

Eh. Your premise is okay. The main point is that there is parity. There are a few teams that can't win, but otherwise it takes a ton of luck to win it all. The Jets "would have been handled by Green Bay"? Why? Green Bay was a 10-6 powerhouse that had lost to the Lions, Redskins and Dolphins and destroyed the Jets 9-0! Sure the Packers would have probably been favored, but it sure as hell wasn't a foregone conclusion. The Giants sucked for much of last year and I'm pretty sure they were underdogs to the Jets in week 16. The fact is, the difference between 8-8 and Super Bowl champ is a hair's width these days.

I read your post very intently but must disagree with it. For me the Denver game did our season in. It was the beginning of the end. When I saw Eric Smith :disgust: lean inside thus giving the outside to Tebow so he could run for the game winning TD I just knew the season was over.

You knew the season was over? Must have been a shock when the Jets went on to win 3 straight and get to a clear lead for the WC at 8-5. ;-)

As far as the lock out and a shortened off season ... didn't EVERY team have that ? No excuse there.

Yes. But teams prepare in the offseason differently. The Jets usually got to Cortland, not this season. The Jets usually have 2 a days in pads and contact, not this season. It affected some teams differently. Remember the ridiculous numbers in the passing game around the league at the beginning of the season? Was this the sole reason? No. But it played a part. For sure.

IMHO you CAN'T understate the value of leadership. Take that Denver game , someone, ANYONE on D needed the make a huge play and stop them on that final drive. Cause a fumble, sack Tebow, get a pick ... SOMETHING. But no one stepped up. No one took control and made a play. There was NO leadership that day or for much of the season for that matter.

Again, I said it played its part. But its because they had the wrong guys acting as leaders.

I had us going 9-7 before the start of last year and not making the playoffs . Please tell me where we have improved since then ?

Good prediction. I'm sure you were rooting hard to be right when the team was 8-5 with 3 very winnable games left on the schedule. ;-). And the team has improved by adding Landry and Tebow and resigned Thomas and Pouha. Enough to make a difference? Hopefully but its April and that thing called the draft hasnt happened, which is pretty cool.

I'm not overly impressed with the FA's we've brought in. Obviously with all of them getting only 1 year contracts the FO can't be over joyed with any of them either. Landry was a decent signing IF ( and that's a big IF) he can stay on the field. We're STILL in need of another safety as well as a RT.

Signing players to a one year contract to prove themselves is smart. Not breaking the bank for an average FA year was smart. Resigning solid players and leaders was smart. Trading for someone to push Sanchez was smart. Oh yeah, its April. You can still sign players and the draft has yet to happen.

How are Sanchez and Holmes going to get along ? Who is Sanchez going to be throwing to ? So where HAVE we improved?

I hope you're right with the 10-12 wins but I see us lucky to get back to 8-8 at the point.

Sanchez and Holmes were doing it after games when they were winning and connecting a ton. Winning solves all. Sanchez will be throwing to the same WR's he threw to last year when he threw 26 TD's. Only this season he's got more familiarity with them. Hopefully Chaz Shillens helps. I'm not holding my breath but we can certainly draft one and still sign some guys, who knows, maybe even fan favorite Braylon Edwards returns. Its April so I'm good with it.

10-12 wins come from where we should have been if it werent for incompetent QB play. The Jets should have easily won 11 games last season.

The defense alone almost guarantees us 7-8 wins. Can the offense win three games by itself when an opposing offense gets our front seven blocked? I don't see any reason to think it can. They've cut Sanchez off at the knees. There were zero upgrades at the skill positions and arguably a downgrade at OC (whoda thunk it?). How, exactly, has the offense gotten better?

Archived