Janoris Jenkins

JustInFudge

Is this dude going to slide to the 2nd round? Was hearing a couple of national guys saying that he would yesterday.

Hypothetically, if he fell the Jets in the 2nd, do you take him?

I would. He's the best corner in the draft. Problem is, he just might be Pacman Jones part II.

Is this dude going to slide to the 2nd round? Was hearing a couple of national guys saying that he would yesterday.

Hypothetically, if he fell the Jets in the 2nd, do you take him?

I would. He's the best corner in the draft. Problem is, he just might be Pacman Jones part II.

He's definitely first round talent, hypothetically though where do you play him? Do you move Kyle Wilson so he can play Nickel?

Although I guess with the league being as pass happy as it is, it would be an asset having another great corner in the backfield.

He's definitely first round talent, hypothetically though where do you play him? Do you move Kyle Wilson so he can play Nickel? Although I guess with the league being as pass happy as it is, it would be an asset having another great corner in the backfield.

My thought was, value wise, he'd be a steal and might/probably will end up being better than both Cro and Wilson. It creates an opportunity to either dump or trade Cro if it works out. As for the immediate and how you'd use him: I'd put Cro at FS, Jenkins on the outside and Wilson stays in the Nickel. Or vice versa with Wilson and Jenkins.

My thought was, value wise, he'd be a steal and might/probably will end up being better than both Cro and Wilson. It creates an opportunity to either dump or trade Cro if it works out. As for the immediate and how you'd use him: I'd put Cro at FS, Jenkins on the outside and Wilson stays in the Nickel. Or vice versa with Wilson and Jenkins.

That's a good point. With the right influence he could drop the negatives before it becomes a problem. I think if he's on the board it's definitely worth the consideration.

In saying that, I think there's a good chance that if the Jets don't pick up Upshaw in the first round, he might slip just enough for us to nab him in the second.

That's a good point. With the right influence he could drop the negatives before it becomes a problem. I think if he's on the board it's definitely worth the consideration.

In saying that, I think there's a good chance that if the Jets don't pick up Upshaw in the first round, he might slip just enough for us to nab him in the second.

I think if he's on the board, you getting the best corner in the draft in the 2nd round. With the Jets cap situation, its almost a must as you can dump Cro's contract.

Upshaw falling to the 2nd is interesting. If the 2 of them happened to be there when the Jets select, that would be quite a decision IMO. Who's going to have the bigger impact on the game? I really dont know.

I'd pass...reasons:

Character has to weigh as at least as important as talent...especially in this locker room...this year...we don't need the distraction...

We have needs in too many other areas...and don';t think we have the luxury to draft a talented but easily distracted CB when a the OL, OLB, and S positions are old and/or slow.

If Upshaw somehow falls to our pick in the second we snap him up in a hurry...impact at a position of need plus he probably have a chip on his shoulder cause he didn't go in first round...

first off upshaw won't make it to the 2nd. he's had visits with every tea playoff team in the league. SD would pounce, as would HOU, BAL and of course NE and CIN (altho they run more of a 4-3). around here he's not good enough for 16 but for fans of playoff teams they are praying Upshaw falls. We've nitpicked him. but 5-10 slots later he's found gold.

as for Jenkins... it's like bringing another Cro on the team. they already have a cro. I think they are trying to rehab the locker room, not make it worse. I really like this player but again he's not gonna be there at 47. His off the field stuff isn't all that bad (smoking weed and siring alot of children, that's like every other player in the league). and his coverage skills are second only to Claiborne. he's a flat out stud. I could see him going as high as 21 to the bengals or 23 to the Lions.

I'd pass...reasons: Character has to weigh as at least as important as talent...especially in this locker room...this year...we don't need the distraction... We have needs in too many other areas...and don';t think we have the luxury to draft a talented but easily distracted CB when a the OL, OLB, and S positions are old and/or slow.

Character is weighted...thats why he's dropping into the 2nd. I understand the reasoning you are presenting but what if the draft falls as such that we snagged a OLB in the first, get Janoris in the 2nd and take the BAP OL in the 3rd?

OMG - I'd cream myself.

first off upshaw won't make it to the 2nd. he's had visits with every tea playoff team in the league. SD would pounce, as would HOU, BAL and of course NE and CIN (altho they run more of a 4-3). around here he's not good enough for 16 but for fans of playoff teams they are praying Upshaw falls. We've nitpicked him. but 5-10 slots later he's found gold. as for Jenkins... it's like bringing another Cro on the team. they already have a cro. I think they are trying to rehab the locker room, not make it worse. I really like this player but again he's not gonna be there at 47. His off the field stuff isn't all that bad (smoking weed and siring alot of children, that's like every other player in the league). and his coverage skills are second only to Claiborne. he's a flat out stud. I could see him going as high as 21 to the bengals or 23 to the Lions.

Its hypothetical Bit. Lots of talking heads are saying they fear he's Pacman part II and could slip because teams dont want to invest that much money in a wildcard.

What if this was our draft:

RD 1: Upshaw

RD 2: Jenkins

RD 3: Your pick of Sanders, Schwartz, Washington or say James Brown in the 3rd?

You really think Cro could play FS? I think Ryan wants somebody who's going to be a more consistent tackler out there playing safety. He'd create some huge plays, but if Rex didn't like Rhodes back there I don't see Cro flying.

That said, I absolutely take Jenkins if he's there at 47. I know he's got character issues and I know it's not a need, but like bit said his issues are things that every player does. Can't pass up the value of the best cover corner in the draft in the mid second round. Take him and figure out what you're going to do with all of your corners later.

Character is weighted...thats why he's dropping into the 2nd. I understand the reasoning you are presenting but what if the draft falls as such that we snagged a OLB in the first, get Janoris in the 2nd and take the BAP OL in the 3rd?

OMG - I'd cream myself.

Still pass mainly due to character...don't need boy scouts every year...but after last year we need to bring in the talented yet loyal soldier types...change the perception of the locker room...

Also orginally forgot to include a WR on our needs list...the draft this year has good depth at our positions of need...would rather see an OLB (Ingram, Upshaw, Hightower) in the first and follow it up with a WR (Jeffery, Sanu, Hill) in the second.

Like that outcome mucho better.

You really think Cro could play FS? I think Ryan wants somebody who's going to be a more consistent tackler out there playing safety. He'd create some huge plays, but if Rex didn't like Rhodes back there I don't see Cro flying. That said, I absolutely take Jenkins if he's there at 47. I know he's got character issues and I know it's not a need, but like bit said his issues are things that every player does. Can't pass up the value of the best cover corner in the draft in the mid second round. Take him and figure out what you're going to do with all of your corners later.

I mean, I'm not putting a ton of stock into this but someone started at thread that Cro said he's switch to FS or that the team approached him about...something like that. Is it ideal. Hell no. Can imagine that dude in the open field trying to make a TD saving tackle. But, he's got the athletic ability to play deep center field type safety, no doubt.

But yeah, you cant pass on Jenkins if he falls that far. Character issues be damned. They all smoke weed and hate rubbers. Its fact.

pants creamed yup

For sure.

Still pass mainly due to character...don't need boy scouts every year...but after last year we need to bring in the talented yet loyal soldier types...change the perception of the locker room... Also orginally forgot to include a WR on our needs list...the draft this year has good depth at our positions of need...would rather see an OLB (Ingram, Upshaw, Hightower) in the first and follow it up with a WR (Jeffery, Sanu, Hill) in the second. Like that outcome mucho better.

I'm not a fan of any of those WR's in the 2nd. Deep WR class you cant get talent in almost every round. Much bigger needs IMO. And while CB isnt a need, if the best cover corner fell to the Jets in the 2nd...they'd be stupid not to take him because of weed and unprotected sex.

You really think Cro could play FS? I think Ryan wants somebody who's going to be a more consistent tackler out there playing safety. He'd create some huge plays, but if Rex didn't like Rhodes back there I don't see Cro flying.

That said, I absolutely take Jenkins if he's there at 47. I know he's got character issues and I know it's not a need, but like bit said his issues are things that every player does. Can't pass up the value of the best cover corner in the draft in the mid second round. Take him and figure out what you're going to do with all of your corners later.

Still can't take him...just leads to playing another CB out of position and we're still short on other positions of need...from the visit list it looks like the Jets have a safety in my mind for each round except the first, so doubt we are looking at Jenkins.

For sure.

I'm not a fan of any of those WR's in the 2nd. Deep WR class you cant get talent in almost every round. Much bigger needs IMO. And while CB isnt a need, if the best cover corner fell to the Jets in the 2nd...they'd be stupid not to take him because of weed and unprotected sex.

It speaks to maturity...at some point you cannot keep adding the immature but talented athletes in the hope they grow up soon...you also need the positive examples inside you own house...that was a problem last year...and doubt they want to add him to the mix regardless of his talent especially at that position...btw...its time we address the WR position and yes there is talent in each round...but there is a reason some our projected higher than others...Jeffery, Sanu, Hill both add some youth and talented to a position that is sorely lacking...we drafted several RBs the past couple of years its time to come away with a something more than a project at the WR position.

Still can't take him...just leads to playing another CB out of position and we're still short on other positions of need...from the visit list it looks like the Jets have a safety in my mind for each round except the first, so doubt we are looking at Jenkins.

It speaks to maturity...at some point you cannot keep adding the immature but talented athletes in the hope they grow up soon...you also need the positive examples inside you own house...that was a problem last year...and doubt they want to add him to the mix regardless of his talent especially at that position...btw...its time we address the WR position and yes there is talent in each round...but there is a reason some our projected higher than others...Jeffery, Sanu, Hill both add some youth and talented to a position that is sorely lacking...we drafted several RBs the past couple of years its time to come away with a something more than a project at the WR position.

Its about value JC. Thats the draft. If the best cover corner in the draft is available in the 2nd round, its a no brainer. Literally. Kid can ball and can cover TE's. I've seen him lock down some beasts...straight take them out of the game. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Fatshon Jeffrey.

He was the Gators version of Revis. Take X out of the game and let us go nuts with the rest of the D. He's that type of player.

Hell, they could take him and use Cro or Wilson as draft day trade bait to recoup more picks.

janoris jenkins is exactly the type of player Bill bellichek will draft at 31 and everyone will say it's genius. Or the Bengals draft at 21 cause they just don't care about off the field stuff. (and everyone will say it is dumb). basically if you surround this kid with a strong program he's got top 10 talent.

Its about value JC. Thats the draft. If the best cover corner in the draft is available in the 2nd round, its a no brainer. Literally. Kid can ball and can cover TE's. I've seen him lock down some beasts...straight take them out of the game. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Fatshon Jeffrey.

He was the Gators version of Revis. Take X out of the game and let us go nuts with the rest of the D. He's that type of player.

Hell, they could take him and use Cro or Wilson as draft day trade bait to recoup more picks.

We already have Revis and a top 5 defense without Jenkins and we severly lack offensive weapons...unless your expecting the T-bone package to average 20 points a game...again don't wanna beat a dead horse...OK...I'll beat the horse dead...the locker room was a disaster last year...we need some loyal foot soldiers...just want another direction this year...agree to disagree I guess. Doubt he gets to us in the second round anyway and if he did I'd hope Rex and Tanny are wise enough to look elsewhere.

we severly lack offensive weapons...unless your expecting the T-bone package to average 20 points a game...

this logic assumes that the problem with Mark is not enough weapons. :Lets be real the dude can't find the weapons he already has. Jenkins or not they are going with a defense first strategy and are going to take the ball out of Mark's hands not give him more opportunities to turn it over.

this logic assumes that the problem with Mark is not enough weapons. :Lets be real the dude can't find the weapons he already has. Jenkins or not they are going with a defense first strategy and are going to take the ball out of Mark's hands not give him more opportunities to turn it over.

Didn't really want a Sanchez debate...agree with Mark's limitations and hoping (like the rest of us) that there is improvement...the Jets as a team lack offense firepower...at some point we need to address...we drafted RB the last several years but still we need someone to replace LT on third downs...at WR we have Holmes, Kerley in the slot and a buch of question marks...

We basically have three former first round picks at the CB position and prefer we look elsewhere...not to mention the character concerns which only add to the circus if he should have a relapse...which from the reports of his interviews are accurate he never really stopped...maybe after he gets his first professional paycheck he'll decide to clean up his act...guess I'm just not buying...plus if he somehow got to 47...what facts do the Jets possess that suggest they know better than the rest of the league?

Didn't really want a Sanchez debate...agree with Mark's limitations and hoping (like the rest of us) that there is improvement...the Jets as a team lack offense firepower...at some point we need to address...we drafted RB the last several years but still we need someone to replace LT on third downs...at WR we have Holmes, Kerley in the slot and a buch of question marks... We basically have three former first round picks at the CB position and prefer we look elsewhere...not to mention the character concerns which only add to the circus if he should have a relapse...which from the reports of his interviews are accurate he never really stopped...maybe after he gets his first professional paycheck he'll decide to clean up his act...guess I'm just not buying...plus if he somehow got to 47...what facts do the Jets possess that suggest they know better than the rest of the league?

Huh? Thats just an awful way to look at the draft. With this logic, how does any team decide where a player should be taken. lol

Bottom line is, he's a top 10 talent and I'd argue is the very best CB in the draft. I understand you're point, the Jets need offense...well, drafting for need typically leads to failure. Teams tend to reach which leads to more misses. Drafting for value, typically leads to success IMO.

Huh? Thats just an awful way to look at the draft. With this logic, how does any team decide where a player should be taken. lol

Bottom line is, he's a top 10 talent and I'd argue is the very best CB in the draft. I understand you're point, the Jets need offense...well, drafting for need typically leads to failure. Teams tend to reach which leads to more misses. Drafting for value, typically leads to success IMO.

By your estimate only...if he got to 47...you'd have the overwhelming amount of teams that disagree with you...Drafting for value only tells half the story. I go by the words..."It never matters where we pick them, it only matters how they play." The question for Jenkins is will he stay clean to play...and even say he does...who plays out of position to get him on the field...

Also, don't twist my argument...my main concern was character...especially this year...the lack of offense was my secondary reason if we went defense in the first round...all the WRs i listed would not be considered reaches at 47...

Fruitless discussion anyway...he won't make it to 47.

By your estimate only...if he got to 47...you'd have the overwhelming amount of teams that disagree with you...Drafting for value only tells half the story. I go by the words..."It never matters where we pick them, it only matters how they play." The question for Jenkins is will he stay clean to play...and even say he does...who plays out of position to get him on the field...

Also, don't twist my argument...my main concern was character...especially this year...the lack of offense was my secondary reason if we went defense in the first round...all the WRs i listed would not be considered reaches at 47...

Stupid discussion anyway...he won't make it to 47.

I'm saying he's going to slip because of character issues, otherwise he's a top 10 talent. And I dont think thats just by my estimate at all. Plenty have said the same thing but he's not worth the risk in the 1st round. 2nd? **** yes he is.

Its the NFL. Its a passing league. This guy will be lock down 1 on 1 corner. And for that reason alone, he probably wont slip past the first. But this was just for hypothetical fun as I've heard some "experts" say he might fall.

I'm saying he's going to slip because of character issues, otherwise he's a top 10 talent. And I dont think thats just by my estimate at all. Plenty have said the same thing but he's not worth the risk in the 1st round. 2nd? **** yes he is.

Its the NFL. Its a passing league. This guy will be lock down 1 on 1 corner. And for that reason alone, he probably wont slip past the first. But this was just for hypothetical fun as I've heard some "experts" say he might fall.

I like the idea. It basically means that we can finally shutdown a TE with one of our CBs playing FS, it'd be a great value at 47 but here are my only concerns with the pick:

1. Revis Situation: Revis is arguably among the top 10 players in the league. His current contract is nearing its end so what happens if the contract talks go sour like they did a couple seasons ago? I don't think we drafted Kyle Wilson to play the nickel his whole career and as you said Jenkins would probably start somewhere in the secondary. If Revis asks for a load of money (which he undoubtedly will) and the Jets don't want to pay up, I can see them letting Revis walk.

2. Needs vs. BPA: The Jets have a ton of needs and I don't know if they have the luxury to go out and draft BPA early, especially because there isn't many attractive options left in FA at these positions. It's apparent that as far as being able to compete this upcoming year, the Jets are gonna need a good draft at positions of need. JMO.

Interesting post though, overall I'm pretty welcome to the idea

2. Needs vs. BPA: The Jets have a ton of needs and I don't know if they have the luxury to go out and draft BPA early, especially because there isn't many attractive options left in FA at these positions. It's apparent that as far as being able to compete this upcoming year, the Jets are gonna need a good draft at positions of need. JMO. Interesting post though, overall I'm pretty welcome to the idea

I typically adhere to the "draft for value" logic which tends to lean more on the side of BPA > Needs. There is no perfect science to it but I think drafting for needs leads to more misses. Whereas drafting for value is more likely to be successful.

And I really dont think the Jets need to address that many position to be successful next year. I really dont. I think they have positions they could upgrade and if they do, could take the next step but I dont see the need to go out and reach for any supposed hole.

We all want a pass rusher and safety - and I agree - it would be a welcomed addition. But I'm more than confident if they dont upgrade those positions, they will still be a top 3 defense next season.

So now we start looking at offense. What player on offense in this years draft would instantly make the Jets a better offensive team?

I typically adhere to the "draft for value" logic which tends to lean more on the side of BPA > Needs. There is no perfect science to it but I think drafting for needs leads to more misses. Whereas drafting for value is more likely to be successful.

And I really dont think the Jets need to address that many position to be successful next year. I really dont. I think they have positions they could upgrade and if they do, could take the next step but I dont see the need to go out and reach for any supposed hole.

We all want a pass rusher and safety - and I agree - it would be a welcomed addition. But I'm more than confident if they dont upgrade those positions, they will still be a top 3 defense next season.

So now we start looking at offense. What player on offense in this years draft would instantly make the Jets a better offensive team?

I agree that regardless of the draft the Jets will have a top 5 defense and to answer this question, I think in the 2nd a guy like Bobby Massie or Doug Martin would be a good fit for what the Jets want to do next season and would make them better offensively.

I mean, I'm not putting a ton of stock into this but someone started at thread that Cro said he's switch to FS or that the team approached him about...something like that. Is it ideal. Hell no. Can imagine that dude in the open field trying to make a TD saving tackle. But, he's got the athletic ability to play deep center field type safety, no doubt.

But yeah, you cant pass on Jenkins if he falls that far. Character issues be damned. They all smoke weed and hate rubbers. Its fact.

Yeah, that whole scenario was weird, but it came out later that apparently that whole thing got blown out of proportion by the media. Apparently it was all based on Cro saying he could move to safety, which he said because he felt Wilson had shown he could handle being a starting CB and at the time, Smith was the only safety on the roster. After all the reports came out, Cro came back and said he was never approached by the team about it and it was just something he was throwing out there. I think the team would much rather have all three of Revis/Cro/Wilson at CB in the nickel and just figure crap out with whatever they have come opening day at safety.

Although the funny thing is, while Cro's tackling is no doubt pretty awful looking, outside of the one instance that everyone likes to note of that Cruz play (in which he was one of about 4 different people to miss tackles), his tackling was actually pretty damn solid last year.

Its hypothetical Bit. Lots of talking heads are saying they fear he's Pacman part II and could slip because teams dont want to invest that much money in a wildcard.

What if this was our draft:

RD 1: Upshaw

RD 2: Jenkins

RD 3: Your pick of Sanders, Schwartz, Washington or say James Brown in the 3rd?

blah. all right I guess. Give me Schwartz in the 3rd.

Yeah, that whole scenario was weird, but it came out later that apparently that whole thing got blown out of proportion by the media. Apparently it was all based on Cro saying he could move to safety, which he said because he felt Wilson had shown he could handle being a starting CB and at the time, Smith was the only safety on the roster. After all the reports came out, Cro came back and said he was never approached by the team about it and it was just something he was throwing out there. I think the team would much rather have all three of Revis/Cro/Wilson at CB in the nickel and just figure crap out with whatever they have come opening day at safety.

Although the funny thing is, while Cro's tackling is no doubt pretty awful looking, outside of the one instance that everyone likes to note of that Cruz play (in which he was one of about 4 different people to miss tackles), his tackling was actually pretty damn solid last year.

They've played him at safety a couple of times before.

Can it really be worse?

blah. all right I guess. Give me Schwartz in the 3rd.

I think a haul like that would have an instant impact.

Its all hypothetical. Not what I'm predicting or what I'd prefer...just curious what others thought.

They've played him at safety a couple of times before.

Can it really be worse?

I think a haul like that would have an instant impact.

Its all hypothetical. Not what I'm predicting or what I'd prefer...just curious what others thought.

I know. I was just telling you. <3

Correct me if I am wrong but when Wilson was drafted there were some indicators that Revis might hold out the following training camp (as he did).

We have the same situation again.

Wild conjecture time ...

If a first round talent like Janoris Jenkins drops into the second round I can seen Ryan drafting another corner and absorbing Revis's hefty cap hit in a trade summer 2013

Archived