How much football we REALLY watch each season

GREENBEAN

This article is crazy. It says that each game only has 11 min of actual play. If that's true we have a total of 176 min of football per season. That's less than 3 hours of actual football !!!!! I just realized how ridiculous of a person

i really am with how much time I spend reading, writing and thinking about the Jets and what they will do each season. All for less than 3 hours of football. LMAO!!!!

The article breaks it down in more detail. Enjoy

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

This article is crazy. It says that each game only has 11 min of actual play. If that's true we have a total of 176 min of football per season. That's less than 3 hours of actual football !!!!! I just realized how ridiculous of a person

i really am with how much time I spend reading, writing and thinking about the Jets and what they will do each season. All for less than 3 hours of football. LMAO!!!!

The article breaks it down in more detail. Enjoy

http://online.wsj.co...2055561406.html

Pretty amazing right? I've know the number for a while but that was a good read.

I actually read that a while back when it first came out and the entire premise behind it is completely flawed. This idea that all of the time between snaps is meaningless and doesn't count as football is pretty ridiculous. Could you imagine applying that same kind of logic to a baseball game and seeing how that number worked out?

yeah.. this became big after some superbowl about 10 years ago.. But really, the time in between the plays.. the drama.. that's all important.. as BG said, like baseball.. I don't think i would enjoy watching a game with all of the other stuff taken out.. Even the commercials have their place as it's good to go to the bathroom or log onto JN to bitch about something

really interesting stuff about the cheerleaders, i could've sworn they got more time then that..

Even the commercials have their place as it's good to go to the bathroom or log onto JN to bitch about something

lol, well put.

Pretty much the gripe everyone has with the sport over here, although I never really had a problem with it. When you appreciate the strategy of the game as well as just the "action" then it's not hard to look past.

100% agree.

Been overseas a few times during football season, and this is the main problem that people outside the U.S. (sans Germans and Canadians), have with American Football. It's not the sport itself, it's all the time spent on commercials and time-outs. Of course, you get the opposite argument from Americans when it comes to soccer; that the game is too boring and there's not enough action happening during play. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

I actually read that a while back when it first came out and the entire premise behind it is completely flawed. This idea that all of the time between snaps is meaningless and doesn't count as football is pretty ridiculous. Could you imagine applying that same kind of logic to a baseball game and seeing how that number worked out?

It's the truth. it's talking about the actual time of play. Whatever we deem important or not is not really the point. It's just eye opening to see how much goes into what amounts to about 3 hours of playing time, of actual athletic bodily usage in a regular season of football. It's crazy.

Oh... and using baseball as a reason why this is flawed is a terrible idea. I they performed a study like this on baseball it would just be one more thing fortifying why that game is a terrible excuse for a sport. :D Being bored to death wasn't enough. Then there would be scientific proof that baseball sucks! LOL

yeah.. this became big after some superbowl about 10 years ago.. But really, the time in between the plays.. the drama.. that's all important.. as BG said, like baseball.. I don't think i would enjoy watching a game with all of the other stuff taken out.. Even the commercials have their place as it's good to go to the bathroom or log onto JN to bitch about something

really interesting stuff about the cheerleaders, i could've sworn they got more time then that..

I wonder how drastic the amount of time between snaps would change say if there werent huddles, basically hurry up the entire game. I mean, there's just so much that goes into it that its really hard to keep the game moving a consistent pace. Moving the chains, players getting back to the LOS, subs, replays, penalties...its nearly impossible to be consistent play but what if there was no huddles, just line up and do it again? Maybe 15 as opposed too 11 minutes? Would it go all the way up to like 20 minutes.

I wonder how drastic the amount of time between snaps would change say if there werent huddles, basically hurry up the entire game. I mean, there's just so much that goes into it that its really hard to keep the game moving a consistent pace. Moving the chains, players getting back to the LOS, subs, replays, penalties...its nearly impossible to be consistent play but what if there was no huddles, just line up and do it again? Maybe 15 as opposed too 11 minutes? Would it go all the way up to like 20 minutes.

I bet you if two teams ran hurry up the entire game the actual number of plays would increase by somewhere around 60%..

If anyone can remember a game like this it'd be easy enough to find out. The problem is that most teams that go up against a hurry up team try and slow it down

Pretty much the gripe everyone has with the sport over here, although I never really had a problem with it. When you appreciate the strategy of the game as well as just the "action" then it's not hard to look past.

NOt a gripe really, but it is amazing how much time people (me) think about the game when there is so little action... which is the part I like best by the way. :D

I bet you if two teams ran hurry up the entire game the actual number of plays would increase by somewhere around 60%..

If anyone can remember a game like this it'd be easy enough to find out. The problem is that most teams that go up against a hurry up team try and slow it down

Hmmmm, I cant remember a game per say but thats a sh*t ton of plays if you think it goes up 60%. Feel like you'd need a big roster cause people would be getting gassed quick like.

Archived