Ravens Inexplicably Hire Pantywaist Nerd to Do Nerd Stuff (Math)

dbatesman

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-looking-beyond-the-numbers-20120806,0,3057841.story

Ravens hire director of football analytics

Weil is former statistical consultant for NBA

By Jeff Zrebiec

11:09 a.m. EDT, August 6, 2012

The Ravens are adding another member to the front office whose primary role will be to look beyond the numbers.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome announced today that the organization has hired Sandy Weil as their director of football analytics.

With the Ravens, Weil, who earned his bachelor's degree in mathematics from Yale University and a computational finance master's degree from Carnegie Mellon, will assist the Ravens' player personnel department and coaching staff in producing and studying date about game trends, statistical analysis, NFL scouting and player production.

Such topics Weil could study include the value of going for a first down on fourth-and-short and determining traits that are key indicators of success for an NFL prospect.

"We’re always looking for confirmation on things we think we know and insights that could provide an edge for us in personnel and coaching,” Newsome said. “This is where Sandy will help us.

“Like developing your team, it’s a work in progress. As Sandy learns more about what we do, and we learn more about what he can do with all this information, his role and impact will increase. I’m excited to see where this leads and how it develops.”

Weil previously worked as an NBA statistical consultant and date structure designer. He was a consultant with the San Antonio Spurs, analyzing the STATS SportVU Player Tracking data and advising STATS on ideas to make SportVU information more useable at the team level.

According to the Ravens, Weil presented several research papers at the M.I.T. Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on a variety sports-related topics.

He also was a full-time senior energy analyst and product manager for Ascend Analytics in Boulder, Colo. Prior to that, he worked for the investment bank Bear Stearns on its derivatives trading desk.

I have no idea what a "director of football analytics" does, but it sounds gay.

Someday we gay Asians are going to rise up. And you people will regret trifling with us.

If we get some good takeout cuisine out of it along forgiveness of national debt, I for one will welcome our gay Asian overlords.

Archived