What do you need to see vs. Bengals on Friday?

T0mShane

I'm pretty excited to take a look at Powell. Reports out of camp were that he's done more this summer than in his completely forgettable rookie season. I'd love for him to emerge as someone who can really split the carries with Greene, as I don't believe Greene is anything particularly special at RB. Solid, yes, but not special.

This is my take as well. There are two backs in recent Jets history that I'd compare Greene to. Last year's Greene reminded of Adrian Murrell. A guy who get 1000 yards for you in a 16 game season, but left a lot of yards out on the field. Goes down to often on first contact, and doesn't have great vision or instincts running thru the hole.

The other back I'd compare him to would be LaMont Jordan. The good LaMont, the one who would get the ball in the second half and simply run over the other team. The Shonn Greene who put the nail in the Pats' coffin in the playoffs. That's the Shonn Greene I'd like to have back. In order to have him, the team needs someone else to step up to carry half the load. I'd love for Powell to be that guy.

I really can't wait for this offseason to be over, and I'm abnormally excited for Friday.

+10000

Most excited to see all of the top three rookies. It'd be nice to see the offense put a good drive together, I guess, but considering that they'll likely only be out there for one series (and sans Holmes and Kerley), I don't know that it would tell us much.

Kenrick Ellis. I think the D will be great. If that guy becomes a player the D will be insane. With Pouha out we will probably get to see a little more of him and to see if he is going to get gassed playing full series, the way those fatties usually do.

I'm interested to see if Vlad is serviceable under the new system. If Powell is going to be worth giving some carries, though I think you guys are reading a bit much into the camp reports - I hope I am wrong. If they can run the ball and how they handle the lack of a bruising in-line TE. Will they just use Cumberland and Keller or add an OL? Do the new safeties and D in general look faster?

I think Slats is right that we will see a vanilla D. No reason to show our hand. I think we will see more foolishness on the offense because that forces teams to practice against it and takes up prep time. These guys love that sh*t. Spend 5 minutes practicing a play so that the other team needs to spend 4 hours learning to defend it.

Kenrick Ellis. I think the D will be great. If that guy becomes a player the D will be insane. With Pouha out we will probably get to see a little more of him and to see if he is going to get gassed playing full series, the way those fatties usually do.

I'm interested to see if Vlad is serviceable under the new system. If Powell is going to be worth giving some carries, though I think you guys are reading a bit much into the camp reports - I hope I am wrong. If they can run the ball and how they handle the lack of a bruising in-line TE. Will they just use Cumberland and Keller or add an OL? Do the new safeties and D in general look faster?

I think Slats is right that we will see a vanilla D. No reason to show our hand. I think we will see more foolishness on the offense because that forces teams to practice against it and takes up prep time. These guys love that sh*t. Spend 5 minutes practicing a play so that the other team needs to spend 4 hours learning to defend it.

It is a valid strategy though, Tebow brings that type of option for the offense. I feel like he will be a good asset to have in the endzone.

I really can't wait for this offseason to be over, and I'm abnormally excited for Friday. With that, here's what I want to see.

1. How they use Coples and Maybin: I want to see them in the 4-3 almost exclusively, and I don't want to see them wasted bouncing inside in the 3-4. The only knock you could possibly have against Rex's scheme is that it might lack the flexibility to incorporate the Osi Umenyiora-type pass rusher, who might not be a 300 lb. beast. If Coples and Maybin are allowed to rush from the outside, it could elevate the entire team. If Rex is stubborn and treats them as if they're Mike Devito, the defense will still be great, but maybe not as great.

2. What Stephen Hill has learned from Cro and Revis: I'm anxious to see if Hill will flourish when he gets the chance to run against a non-elite corner, or if his confidence is shot altogether. I think they'll go deep to Hill a couple times on Friday, especially Tebow, so we'll see what he can so pretty quickly.

Im concerned about O-Line depth again this year so since we will only be seeing a few series by the starters Im very interested in how the second team O-line performs if they play as bad as last year this team had better be ready to make a freakin move. We have already heard since Mangold and Moore were not playing in the G&W scrimmage we got destroyed up the middle once again and thats scary since the Jets are more of an outside rush type of team in Rex's scheme.

I cant wait to see how fast Stephen Hill and Demario Davis are vs NFL caliber talent, should be interesting. Im really hoping both these guys step up and start.

Also I really hope we have someone who can step up and reveive Punts because Kerley and Mcknight are shaky McKnight more so than Kerley. I dont care much about the yards I just want to see a sure handed guy back there like Leonhard Was. Fumbles or Muffs on punts can turn a game around fast.

Also I really hope we have someone who can step up and reveive Punts because Kerley and Mcknight are shaky McKnight more so than Kerley. I dont care much about the yards I just want to see a sure handed guy back there like Leonhard Was. Fumbles or Muffs on punts can turn a game around fast.

I thought Kerley was pretty solid in that regard as a rookie and should only get better. Wilson and Jordan White both returned punts in college. White's a guy to watch, as specials are his ticket to making the roster.

I really can't wait for this offseason to be over, and I'm abnormally excited for Friday. With that, here's what I want to see.

1. How they use Coples and Maybin: I want to see them in the 4-3 almost exclusively, and I don't want to see them wasted bouncing inside in the 3-4. The only knock you could possibly have against Rex's scheme is that it might lack the flexibility to incorporate the Osi Umenyiora-type pass rusher, who might not be a 300 lb. beast. If Coples and Maybin are allowed to rush from the outside, it could elevate the entire team. If Rex is stubborn and treats them as if they're Mike Devito, the defense will still be great, but maybe not as great.

2. What Stephen Hill has learned from Cro and Revis: I'm anxious to see if Hill will flourish when he gets the chance to run against a non-elite corner, or if his confidence is shot altogether. I think they'll go deep to Hill a couple times on Friday, especially Tebow, so we'll see what he can so pretty quickly.

1. No injuries.

2. The fixed version of Sanchez, in game situation not press clippings.

3. Tebow in game situation, not practice.

4. No injuries.

5. Fantasy football later round prospects... a lot of super sleepers in this game, especially the kid lining up across from AJ Green for the Bungles.

@MMehtaNYDN

Santonio Holmes (ribs) will not play in the preseason opener against the Bengals on Friday. #nyj

Blessing in disguise. Gives us even more of a chance to get a look at our overwhelming number of receivers. Maybe we'll cut a few more soon. I mean, since when does a team that plans to run the ball about 87 % of the time need 27 WR's?

1) Joe McNight: Show some of his big play ability and that he can PLEASE hold onto the ball.

2) Quinton Coples: Show me that he is motivated to get to the quarterback.

3) Bilal Powell: Show his improved performance on the practice field translates into game time.

4) Stephen Hill: Can separate from defenders and translate his track speed into game speed.

5) Tim Tebow: Show me that all his off-season work on his passing mechanics has improved his passing ability.

6) Mark Sanchez: Get the ball out of his hands quickly with velocity and accuracy.

7) And please, God, no injuries.

Archived