King Felix is a bad man. Perfect.

PFSIKH

That is a nice thought, but how? Short of him agreeing to a hometown discount, the Mariners cannot afford.

Recently, the Mariners have had a payroll in the 80s, but 5 years ago they were north of 100 million. What is their payroll threshold?

With Felix signed through 2014 at 19.5 and 20 million, that is over 20% of their salary tied up in one player. With smartly run franchises in Texas and Anaheim, plus a surprising Oakland team, what decent free agent wants to go and be the 4th best team with little chance at the playoffs? Not many.

Felix was filthy yesterday. His offspeed offerings is good enough to bring down empires.

Their fielding independent numbers are almost identical at this point today, it's going to be whoever closes out the season stronger. Guys like Sale and Weaver could have a phenomenal stretch, but it's right now I think whomever has the better end to the season out of these two guys is gonna take it. And if it's as close as it is now, you give it to Felix for the PG.

Idk, all I know is I heard on the radio that Seattle doesn't want to trade him and wants to build around him.

As well they should, but is it realistic?

The Rangers wanted to build around A-Rod a decade or so ago, but they soon realized they could not afford him and a decent team around him.

Is King Felix going to be different? I have seen their payroll between 83 and 117 over the last half decade. He is at 20 mil per season now and after 2014 could be worth at least 25 and probably a lot more if he does not give the Mariners are discount. If he hit open market, what do you think Boston an d New York would give him?

I think they are only saying what they want their fans to hear.

Their fielding independent numbers are almost identical at this point today, it's going to be whoever closes out the season stronger. Guys like Sale and Weaver could have a phenomenal stretch, but it's right now I think whomever has the better end to the season out of these two guys is gonna take it. And if it's as close as it is now, you give it to Felix for the PG.

I have no idea why...possibly because I started rooting for the Champs of the NL I was a Yankee fan...but I consistently penalize Hernandez for not being on a contender without even noticing.

He and David Price will be Cubs, so you all can stop dreaming.

I have no idea why...possibly because I started rooting for the Champs of the NL I was a Yankee fan...but I consistently penalize Hernandez for not being on a contender without even noticing.

He and David Price will be Cubs, so you all can stop dreaming.

While you can suggest he could be a victim of Pavanoitis, isn't he the career leader in complete game shutouts of the new Yankee stadium?

His numbers suggest he is the real deal with very good numbers on the road and versus the AL's better teams.

The Cubs do not have the prospects to sign both. If Theo gets back to his mantra, i.e. shorter contracts for pitchers, he will not have the dollars either.

The Rangers or Cardinals have farm systems to send prospects and have been known to spend money.

I do not think the Cubs get either.

Prospects to sign both...You Red Sox fans sometimes...FA 2014 and 2016...I prefer Price anyway and he's the 2016 one.

And the Cubs do not have the ammo. Rizzo can be used for one, but teams like the Rangers and Cardinals have more tradeable assets next year when King Felix becomes a hot commodity as the Mariners continue to toil in last place.

And the Cubs do not have the ammo. Rizzo can be used for one, but teams like the Rangers and Cardinals have more tradeable assets next year when King Felix becomes a hot commodity as the Mariners continue to toil in last place.

It's more that they'd be forced to go with sheer numbers in a trade rather than high quality as Baez is the only major prospect right now above Rookie ball (Villanueva to a lesser extent as he's probably still considered a top 100 prospect). Right now the Cubs system is easily capable of picking up an arm like Justin Masterson or something, but yes I would have trouble seeing them trading for a Felix right now. Luckily, the Mariners have shown next to no interest in trading Hernandez and right now FA 2014 looks like when he'll be available, and the Cubs' money will be as good as anyone else (with a much better sales pitch - come break the drought for an OG team in one of the two biggest markets in the sport).

I'd prefer to land Price via trade over Hernandez anyway, and the Cubs' system will be more than ready for that in both money and prospects come 2015 when he might be available in trade.

It's more that they'd be forced to go with sheer numbers in a trade rather than high quality as Baez is the only major prospect right now above Rookie ball (Villanueva to a lesser extent as he's probably still considered a top 100 prospect). Right now the Cubs system is easily capable of picking up an arm like Justin Masterson or something, but yes I would have trouble seeing them trading for a Felix right now. Luckily, the Mariners have shown next to no interest in trading Hernandez and right now FA 2014 looks like when he'll be available, and the Cubs' money will be as good as anyone else (with a much better sales pitch - come break the drought for an OG team in one of the two biggest markets in the sport).

I'd prefer to land Price via trade over Hernandez anyway, and the Cubs' system will be more than ready for that in both money and prospects come 2015 when he might be available in trade.

That is what they are saying now.

Going on the assumption the Mariners are not going to get better. If Felix does not extend before the end of 2013, I can see him being moved between 2013/2014 as his value will only decrease between then and the trade line in 2014.

I think the Cubs are going to build around Rizzo and Castro they have a fee good pieces there. Watch Theo work with Lucchino up his butt.

I think the Cubs are going to build around Rizzo and Castro they have a fee good pieces there. Watch Theo work with Lucchino up his butt.

Probably so.

I do not see King Felix or Price going to the Cubs unless they hit free agency.

That is what they are saying now.

Going on the assumption the Mariners are not going to get better. If Felix does not extend before the end of 2013, I can see him being moved between 2013/2014 as his value will only decrease between then and the trade line in 2014.

In which case everyone in baseball will be in on it, including the Cubs.

That's like saying if the

No doubt. Using what?

If they build around Castro and Rizzo, then you lose your best chip.

Same thing the Rangers or Cardinals or anyone else would use. Trades often involve the farm system.

No worries, I can be patient for Price.

Archived