Is ESPN right? Are the Jets a .500 team, no better?

BlackDynamite

Merrill Hoge has them winning FIVE games?

James Walker of AFC East Blog at ESPN.com set their line at 8.5 wins

The "ESPN Computer did over 10k simulations" and came up with 8 wins, and the BUFFALO BILLS in second place more often than the Jets!

Greeny & Golic have them winning 6 games!

To his credit, the brains of the outfit, Jon Gruden, was asked by Tirico will they win more or less than 8 games, and he seemed surprised by the question and number, and said more than 8, just based on the strength of their defense.

I have them winning 10 games, but could see them going anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5. The defense will be too good to let them go below .500, especially against their weak schedule (Only 5 games against playoff teams from last season, including two games vs the Patriots). But the offense/OC is too weak

to truly have a great regular season. And the special teams looks like a plus as usual, with Westy showing the league how Specials are done.

If the Jets O gets it together in the second half of the season, when the schedule is weakest, they can definitely finish strong against teams that hate coming up North in December, like Arizona and San Diego.

ESPN is obviously putting great stock into the preseason. But Rex has only shown some basic blitz packages, and the Wildcat is Top Secret.

The Rams were 4-0 last preseason, and they only lost 14 games once they started for real....

BD

It's funny that they have spent the last month on the Jets' nutz, only to bash them when it's time to make their stupid predictions.

If the Jets are so bad, why have you been jocking them all summer anyway? Real sports fans don't care that much about Tebow.....

BD

I really don't get it.

I'm just fine with anyone predicting us to go 6-10, 8-8, whatever. But what I don't and cannot understand is putting their ceiling at that level.

It's problematic for a number of reasons:

1. 8-8 has been our basement since Rex got here.

2. On paper, they lost very little: Burress (who was trouble in the lockeroom), Leonhard (who got injured both of the previous years, so we were pretty much without him half the time anyway) and the last year of Tomlinson which was decent, but replaceable. Meanwhie, they upgraded FS, upgraded SS, added a weapon in Tebow, and used more draft picks than they have had since Rex got here.

3. On paper, the schedule is easier, not harder.

And even if a few "experts" put our ceiling at 8-8, I would be fine with that. But it's not a few. It's almost everyone besides Gruden, Schein, and Lucas (to an extent).

I can see the Jets finishing anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6. Too many question marks on offense to see more then 10 wins. Too good of a defense for less than 6 wins.

I think the offense took a very nice step forward today, albeit against a weak defense. Still nice to see progress though.

Too good of a defense not to make the Playoffs!

FACT

NO NFL team with a Top 3 defense missed the Playoffs in the last 5 seasons.

The Jets were #5 last year, with no safeties, a tired DL, Bryan Thomas out with an Achilles, and no Coples. They will be better than last year's 5th ranked D......

BD

I could be wrong - but I dont see how a team can go worse than 8-8 with as good of a defense as we have right now. And now that Hunter is gone I think our offense is decent. We could use one more weapon in the passing game while Hill develops/

Too good of a defense not to make the Playoffs!

FACT

NO NFL team with a Top 3 defense missed the Playoffs in the last 5 seasons.

The Jets were #5 last year, with no safeties, a tired DL, Bryan Thomas out with an Achilles, and no Coples. They will be better than last year's 5th ranked D......

BD

Okay, but how many of those teams also failed to score a TD in the preseason with their starters? I understand its preseason... But we have a giant ? at RT, a bunch of injuries to our TE's and WR's, and mediocre RB's and QB's. Thats not generally a recipe for great success.

Hill's drop was brutal, but he did come back with 3 straight catches in the 3rd quarter.

I think he and Sanchez could have something if they can practice that 25 yard back shoulder pass. The DB is just gonna try and protect the end zone, and think he's running a fly pattern every time, so he can work the back shoulder, or a double move after a few weeks.....

BD

Okay, but how many of those teams also failed to score a TD in the preseason with their starters? I understand its preseason... But we have a giant ? at RT, a bunch of injuries to our TE's and WR's, and mediocre RB's and QB's. Thats not generally a recipe for great success.

I don't know if anyone else heard the stat from tonight? The last team to not score a TD in the pre season was the 2003 Chiefs, who lead the league in scoring that year. I agree that against the Giants the offense played really bad - but with Hunter gone and the WR's back, they played pretty good tonight. The WR's and TE's should be okay by week one. The only one who cares about pre season records is Pete Carroll.

"Okay, but how many of those teams also failed to score a TD in the preseason with their starters? I understand its preseason... But we have a giant ? at RT, a bunch of injuries to our TE's and WR's, and mediocre RB's and QB's. Thats not generally a recipe for great success. "

I believe Rex has factored all that into how the team is built.

Do you think Rex really believes the Jets are going to win a bunch of games 27-24? He knows he doesn't have a great offense. But he does have a great defense, and an O-Line good enough, and a Wildcat package that will run the ball, move the chains, and eat the clock. Shorten the game. Keep his defense fresh.

The Jets are one of the Top 5 teams at forcing 3-and-outs, and were #2 in 3rd down conversions against. And that was in an off year!

The offense is clearly a work in progress. But running the ball, playing great defense, and controlling the clock is a sound long-term strategy. If the passing game ever gets online, look out!

BD

I don't know if anyone else heard the stat from tonight? The last team to not score a TD in the pre season was the 2003 Chiefs, who lead the league in scoring that year. I agree that against the Giants the offense played really bad - but with Hunter gone and the WR's back, they played pretty good tonight. The WR's and TE's should be okay by week one. The only one who cares about pre season records is Pete Carroll.

The Chiefs scored in their 3rd preseason game that year apparently, considering later on in the broadcast they said the Falcons were the last team to go 3 games w/out an offensive TD in 1977 - they finished 7-7.

Our offense has been bad all preseason. Today we took a nice step and looked at least mediocre. However, keep in mind that the Panthers D isn't exactly a juggernaut either.

"Okay, but how many of those teams also failed to score a TD in the preseason with their starters? I understand its preseason... But we have a giant ? at RT, a bunch of injuries to our TE's and WR's, and mediocre RB's and QB's. Thats not generally a recipe for great success. "

I believe Rex has factored all that into how the team is built.

Do you think Rex really believes the Jets are going to win a bunch of games 27-24? He knows he doesn't have a great offense. But he does have a great defense, and an O-Line good enough, and a Wildcat package that will run the ball, move the chains, and eat the clock. Shorten the game. Keep his defense fresh.

The Jets are one of the Top 5 teams at forcing 3-and-outs, and were #2 in 3rd down conversions against. And that was in an off year!

The offense is clearly a work in progress. But running the ball, playing great defense, and controlling the clock is a sound long-term strategy. If the passing game ever gets online, look out!

BD

And to me, the notion that we will be able to win more then 10 reg season games by a score of 10-9 or something like that in today's NFL is not very realistic. Its great to have a defense like ours. But we need to have an offense that is capable of putting points on the board when the situation calls for it if we want to realistically compete with the Pats for the division, IMO.

The Chiefs scored in their 3rd preseason game that year apparently, considering later on in the broadcast they said the Falcons were the last team to go 3 games w/out an offensive TD in 1977 - they finished 7-7.

Our offense has been bad all preseason. Today we took a nice step and looked at least mediocre. However, keep in mind that the Panthers D isn't exactly a juggernaut either.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure about what I heard.

I think our offense is good enough when everyone is healthy. I would still like to see that possession receiver to compliment Keller and Kerly. I'm hoping White or Turner step up.

it doesnt matter what anyone thinks on how the Jets will do this year... its all fluff and nonsense. it means nothing and no one is held accountable for their predictions.

Lets see what happens when this counts for real, and we'll see where we are at the end of december. hopefully the jets will be shoving a huge helping of go **** yourself to those who underestimate them. And I hope I eat crow.

I'm not impressed by the Bills at all. How are they gonna get to 8 wins with what I've seen? I'd be much more worried as a Bills fan than as a Jets fan.

They got blown out by the Steelers, and gave up 38 pts? They haven't stopped the run since OJ Simpson played.....

BD

I can see the Jets finishing anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6. Too many question marks on offense to see more then 10 wins. Too good of a defense for less than 6 wins.

I think the offense took a very nice step forward today, albeit against a weak defense. Still nice to see progress though.

i agree, we have a 10 win defense easy, but only a 3 win offense. I'm thinking we go right around 6 or 7 wins. And while the score doesn't count in the preseason, watching the actual plays do. And Sanchez and Tebow suck. I'm sorry to say neither of these two are taking us anywhere without a top 5 defense. Top 5 oline, Top 5 rb, Top 5 wr/te.

And to me, the notion that we will be able to win more then 10 reg season games by a score of 10-9 or something like that in today's NFL is not very realistic. Its great to have a defense like ours. But we need to have an offense that is capable of putting points on the board when the situation calls for it if we want to realistically compete with the Pats for the division, IMO.

You cannot have your defense on the field 35-40 minutes a game and win. The more your defense is out there, the more likely they wear out and break down. We saw it last year generally and vs. the Broncos and Giants very specifically.

Right now this Jets offense looks historically bad. The best defense is going to get very demoralized and tired when the offense cannot give them a rest for a long drive nor score TDs ar least twice a game. It is plausible that between some bad teams on the schedule and a good defense the Jets can eke out 6-8 wins at best.

I can't see how the Jets make it to .500 this year. I can envision the defense winning maybe 2 games by itself but this offense is Bollinger-esque Remember how he could move the ball up & down the field between the 20's but he always seemed to stall in the red zone? Add to that Sparano's offensive theory that a FG is as good as a TD. We'll will all be posting a site record amount of face palms on JN until after the New Year.

Then again, who knows maybe the world WILL end on December the 21st and we won't have to worry about this kind of stuff anymore anyway...Either we'll all be floating around in white robes playing harps or shoveling coal into a gigantic furnace in hades

Does anyone recall what ESPN was predicting for us last year? Does it really matter? IMO...we are a better team when the media is telling us how much we suck. Rex needed something to rally the team around and I'm sure he'll use it as motivation/team building exercise.

The weak schedule plus the defense and we could win anywhere from 8 to 10 wins. Agree with the one poster though that the defense will get tired if the offense cannot sustain drives.

Does anyone recall what ESPN was predicting for us last year? Does it really matter? IMO...we are a better team when the media is telling us how much we suck. Rex needed something to rally the team around and I'm sure he'll use it as motivation/team building exercise.

The weak schedule plus the defense and we could win anywhere from 8 to 10 wins. Agree with the one poster though that the defense will get tired if the offense cannot sustain drives.

Is anybody else sick of and not buying this reasoning anymore?

Is anybody else sick of and not buying this reasoning anymore?

I like Rex Ryan; despite the unusual (for a football coach) MO, he knows football, and if he can overcome his dad's issues about being indifferent to his offense, we have something here. I hope what ever happens he is here for a while. But the idea that you can somehow rally the troops over a 16-game season when those troops are professional football players is laughable, whether the coach doing the rallying is Rex Ryan of Herman Edwards or anyone else. The talent on offense isn't there(which has more to do with the GM than the coach). All the Knute Rockne speeches imaginable are not going to change that.

Merrill Hoge has them winning FIVE games?

James Walker of AFC East Blog at ESPN.com set their line at 8.5 wins

The "ESPN Computer did over 10k simulations" and came up with 8 wins, and the BUFFALO BILLS in second place more often than the Jets!

Greeny & Golic have them winning 6 games!

To his credit, the brains of the outfit, Jon Gruden, was asked by Tirico will they win more or less than 8 games, and he seemed surprised by the question and number, and said more than 8, just based on the strength of their defense.

I have them winning 10 games, but could see them going anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5. The defense will be too good to let them go below .500, especially against their weak schedule (Only 5 games against playoff teams from last season, including two games vs the Patriots). But the offense/OC is too weak

to truly have a great regular season. And the special teams looks like a plus as usual, with Westy showing the league how Specials are done.

If the Jets O gets it together in the second half of the season, when the schedule is weakest, they can definitely finish strong against teams that hate coming up North in December, like Arizona and San Diego.

ESPN is obviously putting great stock into the preseason. But Rex has only shown some basic blitz packages, and the Wildcat is Top Secret.

The Rams were 4-0 last preseason, and they only lost 14 games once they started for real....

BD

ESPN....they don't have ESP.....so take what they say with a grain of salt....I see our Jets winning 10-11 games. Our D is that good.

I see a lot of 17-14 type games this season. The Jets should win any game where the Jets offense scores 20 pts

BD

Whether they win or lose in that scenario, 2 TD's will be scored. As good as they are, do you really think we can count on the defense to score twice a week?

Top 5 defense and bottom 5 offense. Sadly, unless the offense gets its act together, 8-8 may be this team's ceiling. Impossible to win without scoring in this league.

Funny...reverse the numbers and we are the Patriots of last year Top 5 offense andf Bottom five Defense

Funny...reverse the numbers and we are the Patriots of last year Top 5 offense andf Bottom five Defense

Yeah, but winning is much more plausible if you can score at will. And "bottom-5 offense", might turn out to be optimistic unless things turn around big and turn around fast. Offense wins in today's game.

Yeah, but winning is much more plausible if you can score at will. And "bottom-5 offense", might turn out to be optimistic unless things turn around big and turn around fast. Offense wins in today's game.

That's what I am trying to tell myself that offense wins games in today's NFL. But another part of me says, coaching, strategy, in game adjustments, a power running game and an offense that doesn't turn over the ball at least once per game also wins in today's NFL.

The Jets formula WILL WORK, if:

The Jets can run the ball and burn the clock

The Jets defense improves over last year

The offense doesn't have to be scoring at a great clip to be effective. Limit turnovers.

Hold onto the ball, shorten the game, play great defense, play close games.

Old school football.

BD

Archived