Kyle Wilson

AFJF

PASS INCOMPLETE! Trader Mike is at fault becaue it COULD HAVE been complete!

Lol this board man...I don't even like Wilson and this is hard to take seriously.

So, are you saying that watching a WR blow past a starting CB three times in one game doesn't worry you?

So, are you saying that watching a WR blow past a starting CB three times in one game doesn't worry you?

It is a fairly common occurrence to non-Revis CBs. No harm no foul if it goes incomplete...Possibly even it went incomplete because Smith felt some pressure on that play.

We're all so results oriented except when the result doesn't fit the mood. It's strange.

It is a fairly common occurrence to non-Revis CBs. No harm no foul if it goes incomplete...Possibly even it went incomplete because Smith felt some pressure on that play.

We're all so results oriented except when the result doesn't fit the mood. It's strange.

I'm quite the opposite most times. If I can see a guy is getting beat regularly but cathing breaks that cover it up, I worry.

All these revisionist draft day guru's

Riddle me this, who was projected at that spot in the draft....we were going D-Back there after getting smoked by Peyton the year before in the AFC Championship game....and at the time, Kyle WIlson was talked about going as high as 7th overall with CLeveland....Cleveland chose Joe Haden

McCourty was picked by Belly right before us, and we took Wilson, who at the time was the BAP in the draft

Good luck, I've tried this before around here, especially with this draft because it was awful. People are clueless. Nobody likes to look at the draft, where the player was selected and who was taken after him. Its one thing to knock the player, I get it, but to knock the pick with no context to support it is stupid. There wasnt a single player worth a sh*t selected after Wilson till Gronk. People knock Vlad too, but go look at the piles of sh*t that surrounded that pick too.

I read somewhere that 75% of the NFL draft is out of the league in 3 years. Thats why I laugh at all these moron's and their, MID ROUND PICKS!!! The odds of them making it are ridiculously low.

Horrible is where I would put my money on 90% of players going by this week's latest JN standards. It's not exactly a tough bet to make.

My guess is that he's a passable outside CB talent who isn't Revis. Guys like Lito Sheppard and some guy Dyson have done alright starting for the Jets in recent years, and I doubt Wilson is worse than those guys were at that point in their respective careers.

Horrible is where I would put my money on 90% of players going by this week's latest JN standards. It's not exactly a tough bet to make.

My bet is that he's a passable outside CB talent who isn't Revis.

Well, I hope you're right.

Kyle’s Bad Day

October 2, 2012 · by SportsGeek33

In the first piece of this two-part defensive breakdown we’ll look at the role that poor pass defense played in contributing to the New York Jets’ 34-0 defeat at the hands of San Francisco on Sunday.

According to the Week 4 NFL team statistics, the Jets currently occupy 21st spot in overall defense – this despite coach Rex Ryan’s certainty in August that it would be a “given” for his team to finish the year with a Top 5 defense.

Injury to key cornerback Darrelle Revis certainly hasn’t helped Ryan’s cause but nonetheless the under-achievements of the Jets defense are giving cause for serious concern in New Jersey right now.

To begin this breakdown, let’s take a look at a play from the First Quarter (Picture 1 below). The 49ers have a 1st & 21 on their own 26-yard line, they’re out in 11 personnel and have set up in Singleback Slot Strong with Kendall Hunter (orange) in the backfield. The Jets are in their base nickel package.

When the teams initially line up, Jets CB Kyle Wilson (red) appears to be taking responsibility for 49ers WR Mario Manningham (yellow).

sf1.jpg?w=640&h=479Picture 1

Prior to the snap, however (Picture 2), QB Alex Smith motions Hunter out of the backfield. Wilson moves across, and so does ILB Bart Scott, giving Smith the impression that not only are the Jets playing man-to-man but also that he’s created a huge mismatch advantage by isolating Manningham against Scott.

sf21.jpg?w=640&h=479Picture 2

But when the ball’s snapped it soon becomes obvious that the Jets have been disguising their coverage and are actually playing a Cover 2 Zone defense. But while Scott (blue) has remained aware of the fact that Wilson (red) is no longer covering a WR, Wilson appears to have lost focus. So all Hunter (orange) has to do in order to take the dumbstruck CB out of the game is to simply stand stone-cold still (Picture 3). As Wilson freezes, Scott reacts by instantly rolling into the flat so as to cover Hunter while at the same time desperately shouting to Wilson and pointing him (see inset) in the direction of Manningham (yellow) who’s now wide open.

sf3.jpg?w=640&h=482Picture 3

Manningham sees what’s going on, converts his route to an out pattern, and when Smith releases the pass the former Giants wideout has a full 10-yards of separation from Wilson. Safety LaRon Landry comes across to push the receiver out of bounds and the 49ers have an easy 26-yard gain on a 1st & 21.

sf4.jpg?w=640&h=481Picture 4

The true price of this error was potentially far greater than a First Down, however: Because the initial defensive movements had created the impression that the Jets were playing man-coverage, Smith would probably have believed that the apparent mismatch between Manningham and Scott was a surefire certainty. So the chances are that if Wilson had reacted to the play as a more experienced/competent CB might have done, Smith would have made the throw based on his initial read rather than the actual coverage, and consequently there would have been the opportunity for a pick.

Sadly, the game also showcased Wilson’s rather more obvious shortcomings in man-to-man coverage, and this skills deficit combined with the poor footballing intelligence that’s illustrated by the above example only serve to underline how badly the Jets secondary is likely to miss the absent Revis. The recent signing of former Detroit Lions cornerback Aaron Berry at least gives Ryan the option of replacing Wilson for the Monday night game against Houston.

Before leaving this play, there is one more thing that we’ll take a quick look at. Many fans have been hyper-critical of the Jets inability to put opposing QBs under pressure, and by considering how the line performed here we can begin to get some understanding of whether or not that really is a problem.

The Jets front four is aligned so that RE Quinton Coples (red) and DT Kenrick Ellis (yellow) will be blocked one-on-one by the 49ers left tackle and guard respectively. NT Sione Pouha (orange) is shaded to the center’s left, and LE Mike DeVito (blue) is set to do battle with the left tackle (Picture 5).

sf5.jpg?w=640&h=485Picture 5

When the play starts (Picture 6), the first thing to notice is that Pouha is handled by 49ers center Jon Goodwin while right guard Leonard Davis looks right to see if help is required elsewhere. This kind of blocking is almost dismissive of the threat that Pouha poses as a bull-rusher, and also serves as an indication of how his reputation has begun to decline league-wide.

Finally, by the time Smith is ready to throw the ball to Manningham (Picture 7), it’s all too clear that even though every lineman is up against single-team blocking, the Jets front four have failed to generate anything that vaguely even resembles pressure. Again, changes may have to be made before taking on the Texans next week.

sf7.jpg?w=640&h=487

Archived