Trader Mike on ESPN Radio

Ryno the Jet

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum on ESPN radio: "There's 12 games left. We're 0-0." #nyj

Does Tannenbaum sometimes doubt if Sanchez will be a great QB? "Depends on how you define greatness," he says. #nyj

Mike Tannenbaum on Tim Tebow: "If we didn't want him, we wouldn't have traded for him." #Nyj

Tannenbaum says there isn't any pressure from Woody Johnson 2 play Tebow: "Play time is always driven by Rex. Rex is in charge of who plays"

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum: "Do I know what the result will be Monday night? I don't." #nyj

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Tannenbaum on ESPN Radio: "Of course we did." when asked if they really wanted Tebow on team

Kimberley A. Martin@KMart_LI

#jets GM Mike T on ESPN radio: "The running game has to be better. No question about it." #obvioustweet

Mike T "respectively disagrees" with the premise that #jets are not built for ground and pound #nyj (via ESPN radio)

"Shonn Greene has played well in the past. Has he been at an elite level? Not yet. ...Running gm is going to be focused thru Shonn" - Mike T

GM Mike T said #jets not interested in ochocinco and TO

"if we didnt want him, we wouldnt have traded for him" -- #jets GM Mike T on Tebow (via ESPN radio)

GM Mike T gives Tebow a grade of "incomplete." #nyj

Mike T said Woody Johnson isnt pressuring him to play Tebow more. Playing time is determined by Rex #nyj

Mike T said no on puts more pressure on himself than him #nyj

Mike T said #jets were "very thorough" when it came to signing Aaron Berry. "what happens in the past stays in the past"

So Mike you disagree , and claim the Jets are built for Ground and Pound. What ****ing team has this idiot been watching all of last year and 4 games this year ?? The running game is going to be focused thru Shonn Greene who can even get his average per carry over 3 .

Mike Tannenbaum comments on Mark Sanchez, team's plans for Tim Tebow

By Kristine Reese, NJ.com

on October 04, 2012 at 7:56 PM, updated October 04, 2012

Mike Tannenbaum says there is no pressure from Jets management to start Tim Tebow. Debby Wong-US PRESSWIRE

In an appearance on ESPN Radio's "The Michael Kay Show" Thursday afternoon, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum responded to questions about the team's quarterback situation, a controversial topic that has gained momentum following the Jets' shutout loss to the 49ers on Sunday.

While Tannenbaum maintained the team's belief in starting quarterback Mark Sanchez, when asked if he thought Sanchez was a "great quarterback," the general manager had a curious response.

"It depends on how you define greatness," he said. "I define the success of a quarterback by wins and losses and we've won a lot of games with Mark and Rex and that's proved to be a winning combination."

Despite Mark's struggles this season, Tannenbaum did say there is no pressure from owner Woody Johnson to start Tim Tebow over Sanchez, contradicting a report earlier in the week suggesting the owner might intervene. "There isn't," Tannenbaum said. "Rex, Woody and myself, we talk all the time.

We have a great relationship and we have a good, robust debate about what's best for the team, but play time is always going to be driven by Rex. We'll talk to Woody about what we're going to do...but Rex is in charge of who plays."

Tannenbaum also assured Kay and co-host Don La Greca that despite the team's limited use of Tebow, both he and Rex did want to trade for the quarterback. "If we didn't want him, we wouldn't have traded for him," the GM said. "Rex, Woody and I felt good about that transaction. Tim hasn't had a lot of opportunities...but we'll see how the next 12 games play out."

When asked if he envisioned Tebow having more playing time than he has, Tannenbaum hinted at more to come. "He's had some opportunities, and I know he'll get more."

In his session with the media today, Tim Tebow responded to to the same report, alleging he is "frustrated" with his limited role in the Jets offense, "I haven’t talked to anybody or said anything," he said. "You all are the only ones I’ve talked to."

Tebow also brushed off the notion he was promised anything by the front office. "They didn't specifically tell me anything," Tebow said. "You work and you try and compete and do the best you can and whatever they ask you to do, I just try and do it with all my heart."

Rex Ryan offered a similar take, dismissing the idea that the Jets haven't lived up to what they promised Tebow in March, and continued to tout both Sanchez's and Tebow's abilities to play the quarterback position.

"No question I think he's a good quarterback," Ryan said on Tebow. "You can't bluff your way in this league and have the success that he's had. ... Mark is our starting quarterback. But what's intriguing about having Tim is that if something were to happen to Mark, you'd feel good that you have a quarterback that has proven that he can win in the National Football League."

It seems clear, by all accounts, that the Jets do plan to stick with Mark Sanchez as the starting quarterback, but as long as the quarterback continues to struggle, the questions will continue for Tannenbaum, Ryan and the front office.

So Mike you disagree , and claim the Jets are built for Ground and Pound. What ****ing team has this idiot been watching all of last year and 4 games this year ?? The running game is going to be focused thru Shonn Greene who can even get his average per carry over 3 .

He didn't claim that. Read the correction.

He didn't claim that. Read the correction.

Yeah ok the correction assumes that we can ground and pound which we obviously cant. If hes saying you can win in the NFL with ground and pound than hes tieing that in with our current team. The guy is an idiot and should not be a GM. When his ass is sent packing he will be what hes supposed to be a capoligist at which he did some good things while working with Parcells and Mangini

"I extended Mark Sanchez therefore it was a smart move."

Who the hell locks the whole team into a bad starting QB for 2 seasons so he could clear up a little cap room for 1 season? You can do that stuff with a linebacker or a lineman and maybe even a WR since a team carries enough of them (this year's Jets notwithstanding of course). But you don't pigeon-hole your team into 2 years of a bad QB so you can clear up room eaten up by your horrible deals with David Harris and Santonio Holmes.

Ugh.

Archived