LAD OffSeason Mock 2.0

LAD_Brooklyn

Trades

Pay Sanchez a $3.95 million dollar bonus before the trade is sent to the league office. The trading team picks up the balance of the $4.3 million dollar guarantee. The cap hit for the Jets would equal $12,853,125, exactly the cost of keeping him on the roster next season, leaving the team with a net zero cap effect. While it might seem crazy Sanchez does have some pedigree and I think a team like the Packers, Steelers, Cardinals, Seattle (after trading Flynn) who need a quality backup could bite. (for 7th rounder saves team $4.8 mil in dead money 2014)

Trade Antonio Cromartie to free up $8.25 million (for 3rd and 5th rounder)

Restructure

Convert Nick Mangold’s $3 million roster bonus to prorated bonus- This saves the team $2.4 million in cap in 2013 and only adds $600,000 per year to each year thereafter on his deal. Of all the moves this will be done in any scenario.

Extend David Harris by two voidable years and convert guarantee to bonus. This creates $7.125 million of cap room. Of course that is going to mean higher charges in 2014 and a dead hit in 2015 when the deal voids of $4.75 million- Long term pain for a short term gain.

Paycut - - If cut Holmes gets $7 plus million. Don't think he can make an additional $5 million with his baggage and injury. But maybe he can, that's why we void the future years on his contract instead of having it stand as option years which
would benefit Holmes. Payout decreases from $12.5 million to $10 mil. Saves team $2.5 mil.

Frees up $20.27 million in cap
*All of the above are suggestion of Jason's that he brought up one time or another.

Cuts

Jason Smith, Pace, Scott, Eric Smith, Pouha, McElroy, Berry.

Frees up $35.84 million in cap

Frees up a total of $56.11 million accumulate a total of $6.84 million in dead money. Bring our cap limit to $119 million. Our current cap would be $91.34 mil. $6 mil rookie cap leaving leaving us with $21.66 million in cap space.

$21.66 mil in cap space.

Matt Moore, QB, Dolphins (2 years, $6 mil; incentive base contract)
Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Steelers (1 year, $2 million; incentive base contract)
James Casey, FB/TE, Texans (3 years, $9 million; $3.5 million guaranteed)
Brandon Gibson, WR, Rams (5 years, $12 million; $7.5 million guaranteed)
Delanie Walker, TE, 49ers (3 years, $8 million; $2 mil guaranteed)
Brandon Moore, G, Jets (3 years, $11 million; $3.5 guaranteed)

Austin Howard, OT, Jets (tender)
Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Lions (1 year, $2 million)
Richard Seymour, DT, Raiders (1 year, $1.2 million)
Victor Butler, DE/OLB, Cowboys (2 years, $5 mil)
Rob Jackson, DE/OLB, Redskins (600k)
Louis Delmas, S, Lions (1 year, $1.26 million; incentive base contract)

Trade Back for 1st and 2nd out of the 9th spot
Trade both 5th rounder for a 4th

1st Round - Matt Barkley, QB, USC
2nd Round - Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina
2nd Round - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
3rd Round - Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin
3rd Round - Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn
4th Round - Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
4th Round - Tyrann Mathieu, CB/S, LSU

This mock isn't going to please all in regards to philosophy or path we should go in terms of free agency or draft. But did the best I could to place a good product on the field.

You have us signing 12 free agents in addition to the draft listed above. Dismissing QBs and former Jets, I would be shocked if we added more than 3 players in free agency.  Idzik has said he plans to go easy in free agency. 

On to the mock:  You realize drafting Barkley in the first is going to start a rager here, right?  Setting that lil nugget aside, I don't see 4 of your 7 draftees being available when we draft.  I think we could nab Barkley, Gio and Jefferson in the rounds you've suggested.  ALL of the others are projected to be drafted higher...as in a whole round higher. 

I hate all of this. I'm sure it took a lot of time and effort but this would set the Jets back another 5 years. Barkley isn't this answer. He's no better than Sanchez.

And Mendenhaal. Just. No. Exactly the opposite of what this team needs in the backfield.

And if we're getting rid of Sanchez just to sign Moore that's no real difference at all, except it will cost additional money to sign Moore.

Just. Ugh.

This mock isn't going to please anyone in regards to coherency or sanity or path we should go in terms of free agency or draft. But did the best I could given the fact that I have a brain the size of a garbanzo bean and am grappling with latent homosexual tendencies

Fixed..

tavon austin is a sure fire first rounder. and he could be a high first rounder at that. a team like Miami at 12 for example. I have Corey Lemonier as a late first who could go as high as 17 to PIT. 

Louis Delmas I think will get more in the FA market. 

Matt Barkley sucks the big one. 

I love the Gio pick. I would like to also use a late round pick on Duke possession WR Conner Vernon.

I may take a 2014 1st in the trade and pass on Barkely and pick Dukes Sean Renfree with one of those 4th rounders you picked up.

real quick before I read your mock, they raised the cap this year to $123M

That along with our roll over money was factored in this. But thanks for the reminder as that was the last thing I changed before hitting the post bottom. But with all that said our cap limit would still be around $119 million as you have to factor in dead money from cuts.

You have us signing 12 free agents in addition to the draft listed above. Dismissing QBs and former Jets, I would be shocked if we added more than 3 players in free agency.  Idzik has said he plans to go easy in free agency. 

On to the mock:  You realize drafting Barkley in the first is going to start a rager here, right?  Setting that lil nugget aside, I don't see 4 of your 7 draftees being available when we draft.  I think we could nab Barkley, Gio and Jefferson in the rounds you've suggested.  ALL of the others are projected to be drafted higher...as in a whole round higher. 

The former Jets that we needed were brought back in Moore and Howard. The others either weren't affordable or worth bringing back. Would love to have Landry and Devito back, but not sure of how to fit them in. Devito after taking a paycut might sign with the best offer and he deserves to. Landry might not be a hot free agent pickup to others so he may come at a reasonable price. As for Keller and Greene, it's time to move on from them. They're both one dimensional and where replace with more cost efficient free agents in Mendenhall, Casey and Walker.

Idzih also has no reason to place more pressure on himself to say we're going to sign lots of free agents. Hence why you place the expectation low and say not many free agents will sign. but certainly something we have to wait and see what's happens.

Beside Corey Lemonier and I agree with you on the other besides Barkely, Gio and Jefferson going higher as there best cast scenario would be a full round up.

Not a big fan of the draft but there was work done here. DE/OLBs in FA are interesting, thoughts on Michael Johnson of the Bengals?

As for the draft you can mix and match who ever you feel in deserving. Normally my mock would have us trading back for Cooper in the 1st, taking one of the two TEs in the second with an WR that falls to us with the other second (Hunter, Williams, Hopkins, Austin). In the 3rd I focus on a guy who can be a designated pass rusher like Jenkins or Lemonier. While addressing the safety or RB position some where in this. Also with the pro day to come my mock may change in an instant lol.

Johnson from the Bengal isn't going any where.He got tagged either today or yesterday. As for the Bengal they have $55 mil in cap space and cause of the CBA, their owner is planning on spending till the cap limit to reach the cap floor.

tavon austin is a sure fire first rounder. and he could be a high first rounder at that. a team like Miami at 12 for example. I have Corey Lemonier as a late first who could go as high as 17 to PIT. 

Louis Delmas I think will get more in the FA market. 

Matt Barkley sucks the big one. 

Wow, Austin at 12? That interesting. Heard they're going to make a run at Wallace instead of Jennings, so after free agency we'll see how big of a need he is. Also would think Patterson and Allen is ahead of him but the we both wouldn't know as they're now clear answers but projections so neither of us are wrong or right on this.

Delmas deserves actually what Landry got last years market, which was a game by game bonus. Also Landry got that in a market where there were few free agent safeties and top safety prospects. This off season is the polar opposite and there's many to come from in free agency and the draft. We could see about up to as high as 12 safeties drafted the first 3 rounds. So the odds are against him with him missing up to 13 games the past two season and coming out of two of them cause of injury. After reading that I kind if made a cast to not go after him in the 1st place.  

Archived