John Abraham Released

TNJet

I don't like it.  

He was cut because he only played 2/3's of the defensive snaps as a situational guy.  If we draft a young pass rusher, the one thing we can count on is him playing the pass rushing down.  If we sign a veteran, I'd like him to be able to go in there and play first and second down, then insert the athletic newbie.  Signing Abraham means we still have to sign someone else to fill that role, PLUS he'd be taking away valuable snaps from our rookie.  No thanks.   

2009 vs 2013 talent levels aren't even close.

Thomas Jones and Leon Washongton vs Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight.

Tony Richardson vs ????????

Faneca and Moore vs Ducasse and ???????

Rhodes and Leonard vs ????? and ???????

Pace and Thomas 4 years younger vs ???????

Keller as mediocre as he is vs ????????

The 2009 team was better at pretty much every position other than CB and MAYBE WR if Hill and Kerley have great years and Holmes is healthy.

There is just no comparison.

Ah. The best solution is to keep those positions at ????? this whole offseason until The Future comes and says the Jets are OK to win.

I mean sh*t, how will the Jets ever get back to Kerry Rhodes and Jim Leonhard at S? Thomas Jones at RB? 40 year old Tony Richardson the fullback (but Revis' position is not important lol)? Such star power...You're right, this is going to require years of patience.

Ah. The best solution is to keep those positions at ????? this whole offseason until The Future comes and says the Jets are OK to win.

I mean sh*t, how will the Jets ever get back to Kerry Rhodes and Jim Leonhard at S? Thomas Jones at RB? 40 year old Tony Richardson the fullback (but Revis' position is not important lol)? Such star power...You're right, this is going to require years of patience.

Thomas Jones had 1400 yards that season and 14 TD's (thanks to their 2 great guards that season). Getting two guards and a RB who are going to play that well in one offseason is not easy. Rhodes made the pro bowl that year and leonhard was solid. Where are they getting two safeties? There are many more holes than they can fill in one year.

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt Front Office/ownership would consider bringing him back. They did backflips trying to get rid of him. Jets FO views him as cancer in lockeroom, and Idzik will listen to FO more than Rex on this I bet.

True.  They cut him because he makes too much.  They aren't expected to re-sign him because he will get too much on the open market.   The cheaper options they are considering include Freeny. 

No way anyone is paying John Abraham top dollar. He's basically burned 2 franchises with his act. His days of demanding a big contract are behind him, thoguh he probably doesn't realize it.

No way anyone is paying John Abraham top dollar. He's basically burned 2 franchises with his act. His days of demanding a big contract are behind him, thoguh he probably doesn't realize it.

How much do you think he gets?  $3M? Top dollar and too much for the Jets are pretty far apart and out of the league is way further.

Archived