What Happens if the Jets Are on the Plus Side for Wins

Jet27

There's nothing obnoxious about insisting on titling Idzik's Plan (which only DEY KNOW) a rebuild, insisting that the Jets have nothing to build on, insisting that 2013 is 4-12 if they keep Revis, insisting that it's some kind of waste to sign cheap veterans because that would go against The Plan to fire Ryan despite needing to fill out a roster at some point, and all these other things being insisted in multiple threads err day is not obnoxious? Let me guess - because you happen to agree with it?

Sheeple maaaaaan.

Weird things are going on in your head, man.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The great thing about the Internet is that the evidence exists forever in the ether. Find one of these allegedly hysterical posts you're referencing here, please.

No one would want JiF and Gato for any purpose, unless you're talking about Mayan ritual sacrifice.

As painful as it might be, I would much prefer to have dinner with Gato and JiF than Lucas and Francesa.

Weird things are going on in your head, man.

It's noon on a Thursday and I am not the only one arguing about how to build a football team with zero actual control in building a football team.

This will sound rational to you but:

They aren't going to resign him. It's just not happening. You don't attempt to trade a player and then back off and assume he's going to play nice. He's already pissed and he's been pissed at the Jets and his contract for years. He might always be pissed about money. Who knows. But he's not going to give the Jets any discount, he might sign for $13 million with the Patriots, but he'll demand $16 million + from the Jets. Some players give their team a discount. The way this has played out and if Rex is run out of town (aka the only guy on the Jets who seems to want him), he'll run away as fast as they can.

And really, if they wait till the season is over and try to resign him, and the Jets wind up 4-12, and many good teams can offer Revis just as much as the Jets, why would he resign?

Offensively full of non-truths spoken as truths.

There's nothing obnoxious about insisting on titling Idzik's Plan (which only DEY KNOW) a rebuild, insisting that the Jets have nothing to build on, insisting that 2013 is 4-12 if they keep Revis, insisting that it's some kind of waste to sign cheap veterans because that would go against The Plan to fire Ryan despite needing to fill out a roster at some point, and all these other things being insisted in multiple threads err day is not obnoxious? Let me guess - because you happen to agree with it?

Sheeple maaaaaan.

You think it is, which is fine.  Again, those select few who are saying those things are creating posts with the intent of expressing their opinions.  They just so have opinions which you happen to find obnoxious (or at least your own altered version of what you claim their opinions to be), which is your prerogative.  You, on the other hand, are posting nonsensical hyperbolic drivel that is intended to provide nothing of value and has the express purpose of being obnoxious to absolutely everyone.  Although I suppose I shouldn't find it particularly surprising that you deem your own actions to be the fault of others.

The idea that this is not the Jets year isn't exactly an irrational proposition. And Shane, who in my short time back, you've essentially been following around making hyperbolic claims about, seems to think that what the Jets are doing right now is actually all good things. That, with the understanding that these moves are being made for the future, not for 2013. And sorry, but saying we're not going to be competitors in 2013 is not synonymous with "forfeit the season", despite the rhetoric.

T0m and I agree with what has been done so far, we've just taken it from two different sides. He thinks this is Mass Rebuild #45 for Los Yets and is fine with it to the point where the stance is obnoxious. I think they are trying something different (for the Jets) and have already been turning over the roster the past couple of years after the 2010 season. They haven't signed a big money FA in years (settling for one year fallen stars like Plaxico and Landry), worked short term extensions with prime aged players here with easy enough outs (most are gone after 2013 as the contracts are set up), and the roster got young after only a few non-surprising cuts. There's still work to do obviously, but it's not as dramatic as Shane likes to paint. That would explain why it seems like I was following him around - he felt the need to spread his stance as truth wherever he could. I disagree with his spin on the situation and read it much more often than you have in recent times - causing me to argue against it more often.

You are right that saying they likely won't be competitive in 2013 us synonymous with tanking. OTOH, every major sport has pushed parity so hard that putting a competitive team on the field isn't the hard part. Putting a GREAT team on the field is hard - that I can see taking years - but it doesn't require the level of out right losing many seem to support here. Get competitive and build on that. The 2012 team at full strength was not and should not be treated as a non-competitive roster. A lot had to go catastrophically wrong to end up 6-10, and there is stuff to work with. It's just easier (requires less work/thought for the fan) to assume this is a disaster situation.

You think it is, which is fine. Again, those select few who are saying those things are creating posts with the intent of expressing their opinions. They just so have opinions which you happen to find obnoxious (or at least your own altered version of what you claim their opinions to be), which is your prerogative. You, on the other hand, are posting nonsensical hyperbolic drivel that is intended to provide nothing of value and has the express purpose of being obnoxious to absolutely everyone. Although I suppose I shouldn't find it particularly surprising that you deem your own actions to be the fault of others.

3-4 years ago Revis asked for 16 million. How many posts quoting that number as THE number were made just in the last two weeks?

I'm not imagining sh*t. It's kind of a They Live situation where sh*t is going down but "that guy is crazy" is enough to keep it moving.

That's just one example...4-12...inside info from Woody that he refuses to extend Revis...

Yes, I might be a crazy person.

T0m and I agree with what has been done so far, we've just taken it from two different sides. He thinks this is Mass Rebuild #45 for Los Yets and is fine with it to the point where the stance is obnoxious. I think they are trying something different (for the Jets) and have already been turning over the roster the past couple of years after the 2010 season. They haven't signed a big money FA in years (settling for one year fallen stars like Plaxico and Landry), worked short term extensions with prime aged players here with easy enough outs (most are gone after 2013 as the contracts are set up), and the roster got young after only a few non-surprising cuts. There's still work to do obviously, but it's not as dramatic as Shane likes to paint. That would explain why it seems like I was following him around - he felt the need to spread his stance as truth wherever he could. I disagree with his spin on the situation and read it much more often than you have in recent times - causing me to argue against it more often.

You are right that saying they likely won't be competitive in 2013 us synonymous with tanking. OTOH, every major sport has pushed parity so hard that putting a competitive team on the field isn't the hard part. Putting a GREAT team on the field is hard - that I can see taking years - but it doesn't require the level of out right losing many seem to support here. Get competitive and build on that. The 2012 team at full strength was not and should not be treated as a non-competitive roster. A lot had to go catastrophically wrong to end up 6-10, and there is stuff to work with. It's just easier (requires less work/thought for the fan) to assume this is a disaster situation.

I am pretty much with you up until your view of 2012.  But, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree there.  That may be largely because they ended up right around where I thought they would.  I had pretty low expectations for the team, and yes they got hurt, but I'm just not a believer that Santonio Holmes or Darrelle Revis were the difference between 6-10 and true competitor.  Not with Mark Sanchez.  I had this "reset button" in my sig for a long time, and that's largely a result of the fact that on top of a roster without a ton of young talent, we have one of the leagues worst QBs, who's awful play is insurmountable by a team with our current talent.

3-4 years ago Revis asked for 16 million. How many posts quoting that number as THE number were made just in the last two weeks?

I'm not imagining sh*t. It's kind of a They Live situation where sh*t is going down but "that guy is crazy" is enough to keep it moving.

That's just one example...4-12...inside info from Woody that he refuses to extend Revis...

You're right, we don't know what he's asking.  But, the last thing he asked for was 16M, and he got it.  He has asked (if memory serves me) to be the highest paid defensive player, and he got that too.  Is it likely that he's going to ask for less?  Probably not.  But, even if he does, and asks for 13M, that's still a ton of money to devote to a CB.  You can make him the highest paid corner, he probably deserves that.  But you can't blow up the positional value for him like he has wanted in the past and given us no evidence to support he doesn't want now.  Further, and perhaps worse, we've seen that it doesn't matter what Revis asks for right now.  All we have to go on is the evidence that this is the 3rd time in his career we're looking at a contract issue.  No matter what he signs for, we have to believe, if not be weary of the fact that there's a strong chance that it's not the last contract issue, regardless of what you pay him.  People, fans and management (it seems) alike, are tired of it.  I don't think it's fair to begrudge either of that.

You've got three starters coming back on defense. The deposed starters are being replaced by the likes of Garrett McIntyre, Ricky Sapp, and Josh Bush. If you think they've been consciously rebuilding by collecting street free agents for two years and then firing the GM who was orchestrating that rebuild, well, that's a pretty sh*tty rebuild. The young talent on this team is Demario Davis, Stephen Hill, Jeff Cumberland, and a rugby player.

This is a message board. We share opinion. If you choose to read opinions as assertions of fact, it's because you need to open a window.

Assuming this were all true, in what way does any of this justify you constantly filling every thread with more and more of your mind-numbing posts that turn these arguments which you don't like into a diatribe of fictitious points that were never made by anyone?  Admit it, it would seem your goal is to intentionally be obnoxious and if so, it's one thing you admittedly do well, if for no other reason than how tiresome it has become.  I can't imagine you really believe those posts to be in any way clever after all of this time, do you?

This will not happen for many reasons.

1) Rex Ryan is an awful HC.

2) Idzik is tanking the season to expedite the hiring of Rex Ryan, probably mid season.

3) The Jets are losing the FA battle right now.  They've signed nobody and its been about a whole 48 hours.

4) Woody Johnson doesnt want to win this season.  He made a deal with Idzik that its ok to be a loser in 13.

5) The Jets are the worst Football team in the NFL.

6) Who's the QB?

7) Weapons.  Where are they?

8) Who's going to replace the 8 starters who sucked but now that they're not on the team, are players we'll miss dearly.

9) Mevi$.  The Jets are going to get bent over the table on that inevitable trade.

10) Tebow.  He's still on the roster. 

I could go on.

I don't expect the Jets to sign FAs early on.  To do that they would have to make competitive bids.  They don't have the money for that.  What they do have are starting positions up for grabs.  That might bring some people in.

You're right, we don't know what he's asking.  But, the last thing he asked for was 16M, and he got it.  He has asked (if memory serves me) to be the highest paid defensive player, and he got that too.  Is it likely that he's going to ask for less?  Probably not.  But, even if he does, and asks for 13M, that's still a ton of money to devote to a CB.  You can make him the highest paid corner, he probably deserves that.  But you can't blow up the positional value for him like he has wanted in the past and given us no evidence to support he doesn't want now.  Further, and perhaps worse, we've seen that it doesn't matter what Revis asks for right now.  All we have to go on is the evidence that this is the 3rd time in his career we're looking at a contract issue.  No matter what he signs for, we have to believe, if not be weary of the fact that there's a strong chance that it's not the last contract issue, regardless of what you pay him.  People, fans and management (it seems) alike, are tired of it.  I don't think it's fair to begrudge either of that.

this team cannot overpay--now or in the future.   What Revis will ask for--despite his talent---amounts to overpayment.

You've got three starters coming back on defense. The deposed starters are being replaced by the likes of Garrett McIntyre, Ricky Sapp, and Josh Bush. If you think they've been consciously rebuilding by collecting street free agents for two years and then firing the GM who was orchestrating that rebuild, well, that's a pretty sh*tty rebuild. The young talent on this team is Demario Davis, Stephen Hill, Jeff Cumberland, and a rugby player.

This is a message board. We share opinion. If you choose to read opinions as assertions of fact, it's because you need to open a window.

This post is opinion or fact?  Three starters returning on defense is fact or opinion?  I assume your three are Cromartie, Harris and Wilkerson?  In that case wouldn't Kenrick Ellis, Coples and Wilson be among the "young talent"? 

This post is opinion or fact? Three starters returning on defense is fact or opinion? I assume your three are Cromartie, Harris and Wilkerson? In that case wouldn't Kenrick Ellis, Coples and Wilson be among the "young talent"?

FACT: I forgot Coples.

Assuming this were all true, in what way does any of this justify you constantly filling every thread with more and more of your mind-numbing posts that turn these arguments which you don't like into a diatribe of fictitious points that were never made by anyone?  Admit it, it would seem your goal is to intentionally be obnoxious and if so, it's one thing you admittedly do well, if for no other reason than how tiresome it has become.  I can't imagine you really believe those posts to be in any way clever after all of this time, do you?

No assumptions have to be made. Boards been flooded with this stuff. You don't notice it because you agree with it more. All of them are mind numbing, the flimsiest facts support them, and all are heavily armed with the power of insistence and a hive that supports it. I find it to be intentionally obnoxious at best and worth arguing over. You, as is you MO. bitch about people disagreeing on a message board, especially those that agree with you. I find all of it very tiresome, but still I treat JN to my posts because it only seems fair that there is an alternative form of drivel from the other drivel that you happen to like better. 

In the past two periods of talent acquisition they've walked away with:

Wilkerson

Cromartie (used 2011 2nd0

Ellis

Powell

Kerley

Coples

Davis

Hill

Rugby player

The majority of those guys were solid role players last year, three or four were the most productive players on the team last year, and all are or will be taking over roles from aging players no longer on the roster. Josh Bush is an interesting long term DB. That's just with a guy who needed to trade picks constantly to land the useful players he did land, and all of those guys except maybe Rugby Player are guys who can hang on an NFL roster.

Also the D will be returning Wilkerson, Coples, Cromartie/Cromartie, Harris, Wilson, Ellis...isn't Lankster the 6th DB? So him too...Davis won't be making his first ever start in 2013 either as he started 3 for Los Yets...

Nobody needs to make up $16 million.  ESPN, NFL, and every other network out there reports that number.  Whether or not that is what Revis wants, only him and his agents know.      4-12 is just an opinion, the Jets just as likely could go 8-8.   No need to make up numbers there.  

As far as Woody and his thoughts on Revis, well there is this...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8999749/new-york-jets-owner-woody-johnson-deal-darrelle-revis-not-him

Any owner who actually wants to keep a player, have him sign a long term contract,  isn't going all out trying to trade said same player.  

Nobody would be talking about a Revis trade if Woody and Idzik talked to Revis and his agent and they came up with a deal.  Instead it seems they are waiting on the best trade offer and shipping him out.     

Sorry but none of that is made up by me.   You can say all these other people on ESPN, NFL networks, blah blah are full of crap, but they are the ones with the info reporting on the Jets.   We are just discussing it.

And come on, everybody has egos.  This thing has been played out before.  Team tries to trade player.   Don't.   He gets pissed. Wants out.    He doesn't resign.      How many times have we heard the same sports story?    Revis would be the odd man if he didn't feel slighted by all of this.   

In the past two periods of talent acquisition they've walked away with:

Wilkerson

Cromartie (used 2011 2nd0

Ellis

Powell

Kerley

Coples

Davis

Hill

Rugby player

The majority of those guys were solid role players last year, three or four were the most productive players on the team last year, and all are or will be taking over roles from aging players no longer on the roster. Josh Bush is an interesting long term DB. That's just with a guy who needed to trade picks constantly to land the useful players he did land, and all of those guys except maybe Rugby Player are guys who can hang on an NFL roster.

Also the D will be returning Wilkerson, Coples, Cromartie/Cromartie, Harris, Wilson, Ellis...isn't Lankster the 6th DB? So him too...Davis won't be making his first ever start in 2013 either as he started 3 for Los Yets...

Adding nine players in two offseasons isn't rebuilding, restocking, or retooling. It's simply referred to as having two offseasons.

No assumptions have to be made. Boards been flooded with this stuff. You don't notice it because you agree with it more. All of them are mind numbing, the flimsiest facts support them, and all are heavily armed with the power of insistence and a hive that supports it. I find it to be intentionally obnoxious at best and worth arguing over. You, as is you MO. bitch about people disagreeing on a message board, especially those that agree with you. I find all of it very tiresome, but still I treat JN to my posts because it only seems fair that there is an alternative form of drivel from the other drivel that you happen to like better. 

You're comparing apples and oranges.  Let's break it down, shall we:

1.  Others make arguments.  You don't agree with them and thus dub them "obnoxious".

2.  You (on the rarest of occasions) make arguments.  Others don't agree with them and in the same manner could dub them to be "obnoxious".

3.  You make posts that are making absolutely no argument at all and are intentionally being obnoxious.

One of these things is not like the others and worse yet, is done far more repetitively than any of the others.

Forgetting for a moment that most of the arguments you claim others are making is really just your own hyperbolic nonsense, I would be quite interested to see anything I have posted that would support your claim that I agree with all of these opinions you have attributed to others, which is this supposed never-ending stream of posts being negative about absolutely everything that is going on with the Jets.  I assure you, you will come up with nothing, other than perhaps your own classification of my disagreement with you and bit regarding how the Jets should handle the Revis situation (which, interestingly enough, you are the two who were complaining about what it was the Jets' were reported to be considering doing).

I have no problem with people making actual arguments that counter my own.  The difference is, what you are doing, is by absolutely no definition considered to be an argument.  There's plenty of people who I disagree with here that I can debate with endlessly on a variety of topics, it's the main reason I come here.  However, in order to do that, the opposition has to provide something of value to the conversation, which you very rarely do.  You claim you want to provide something different than what you see as the most repeated opinions on JN.  But then how about you actually do that, rather than repeatedly making posts filled with nothing but extraordinary levels of nonsensical hyperbole of those very arguments you claim not to want to discuss, but cannot stop posting about over and over again whenever the opportunity presents itself to you.

Find one "rational" post asserting that the 2013 Jets are poised to compete, please. All I've seen is a few posters saying "Just you wait," to which we ask "wait for what?," which gets no response. "Just you wait" isn't rational, unless you're at a bus stop.

You're the one that spinning all the talk from those who dont see doom already next season into saying we're competing for a SB.  Nobody has said that other than people that are joking, clearly.  Nobody has said we're not rebuilding.  We are but we can still be competitive if the right moves are made.  You've spun that into - Jets arent rebuilding and should be competing for the SB.  

All I've said, and the other repetitive whiners have said is, lets look at the roster in August before we make any predictions about how horrible the season is going to be.  You starting threads about what the roster looks like today, 2 days into FA is irrational.  ****er. 

The only real irrational complaint I've seen is Jetfan13's attack of Idzik.  Otherwise, seems like most people are on board with the plan, and accept that it's about the future.  I wish I thought 2013 was going to be better, but there's nothing "rational" to suggest it will be.  I am however, quite pleased with the overarching direction of the team.

The feel I've gotten recently, is that people express that 2013 will probably be a bad year, and then are responded to with excessive hyperbole like your list in this very thread.

If you dont think this season is already lost and try to defend that theory in March, you're a repetitive whiner.  That's what this has turned into and its all driven by Tom Shane and his minions.  

So essentially you're saying that, by some people, in expressing their opinions, being what you would consider "irrational", that justifies others making everyone on the board (including those countless posters who have nothing to do with those who you deem to be irrational) have to deal with those others intentionally being completely obnoxious?  That's an interesting theory.

Right, the season is doomed guys arent repetitive, irrational and obnoxious.  Whatever dude.  Follow the link to the ignore option I posted.  Type in JiF (capital F) and GFY.

Adding nine players in two offseasons isn't rebuilding, restocking, or retooling. It's simply referred to as having two offseasons.

Well for your 200 year rebuild it doesn't matter, but for a realistic turnover adding 9 legitimate NFL caliber talents (obviously some better than others) means 9 less to search for. They are not the only 9 players capable of playing football on the roster. 

You're the one that spinning all the talk from those who dont see doom already next season into saying we're competing for a SB.  Nobody has said that other than people that are joking, clearly.  Nobody has said we're not rebuilding.  We are but we can still be competitive if the right moves are made.  You've spun that into - Jets arent rebuilding and should be competing for the SB.  

All I've said, and the other repetitive whiners have said is, lets look at the roster in August before we make any predictions about how horrible the season is going to be.  You starting threads about what the roster looks like today, 2 days into FA is irrational.  ****er. 

If you dont think this season is already lost and try to defend that theory in March, you're a repetitive whiner.  That's what this has turned into and its all driven by Tom Shane and his minions.  

Right, the season is doomed guys arent repetitive, irrational and obnoxious.  Whatever dude.  Follow the link to the ignore option I posted.  Type in JiF (capital F) and GFY.

Wow, you really have turned into the new Gato.  To think I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just trolling everyone for the fun of it.  This is just sad.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Let's break it down, shall we:

1. Others make arguments. You don't agree with them and thus dub them "obnoxious".

2. You (on the rarest of occasions) make arguments. Others don't agree with them and in the same manner could dub them to be "obnoxious".

3. You make posts that are making absolutely no argument at all and are intentionally being obnoxious.

One of these things is not like the others and worse yet, is done far more repetitively than any of the others.

Forgetting for a moment that most of the arguments you claim others are making is really just your own hyperbolic nonsense, I would be quite interested to see anything I have posted that would support your claim that I agree with all of these opinions you have attributed to others, which is this supposed never-ending stream of posts being negative about absolutely everything that is going on with the Jets. I assure you, you will come up with nothing, other than perhaps your own classification of my disagreement with you and bit regarding how the Jets should handle the Revis situation (which, interestingly enough, you are the two who were complaining about what it was the Jets' were reported to be considering doing).

I have no problem with people making actual arguments that counter my own. The difference is, what you are doing, is by absolutely no definition considered to be an argument. There's plenty of people who I disagree with here that I can debate with endlessly on a variety of topics, it's the main reason I come here. However, in order to do that, the opposition has to provide something of value to the conversation, which you very rarely do. You claim you want to provide something different than what you see as the most repeated opinions on JN. But then how about you actually do that, rather than repeatedly making posts filled with nothing but extraordinary levels of nonsensical hyperbole of those very arguments you claim not to want to discuss, but cannot stop posting about over and over again whenever the opportunity presents itself to you.

This is just, omg, just...I'd go on a vacation if this was directed at me. This is Johnny Cage holding up a spine.

Wow, you really have turned into the new Gato.  To think I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just trolling everyone for the fun of it.  This is just sad.

Why?  Because I believe the Jets can be competitive in rebuild mode?  OMG!!!! I'm crazy!!!!

Ignore me bro.  Its a great feature. 

You're comparing apples and oranges.  Let's break it down, shall we:

1.  Others make arguments.  You don't agree with them and thus dub them "obnoxious".

2.  You (on the rarest of occasions) make arguments.  Others don't agree with them and in the same manner could dub them to be "obnoxious".

3.  You make posts that are making absolutely no argument at all and are intentionally being obnoxious.

Forgetting for a moment that most of the arguments you claim others are making is really just your own hyperbolic nonsense, I would be quite interested to see anything I have posted that would support your claim that I agree with all of these opinions you have attributed to others, which is this supposed never-ending stream of posts being negative about absolutely everything that is going on with the Jets.  I assure you, you will come up with nothing, other than perhaps your own classification of my disagreement with you and bit regarding how the Jets should handle the Revis situation (which, interestingly enough, you are the two who were complaining about what it was the Jets' were reported to be considering doing).

I have no problem with people making actual arguments that counter my own.  The difference is, what you are doing, is by absolutely no definition considered to be an argument.  There's plenty of people who I disagree with here that I can debate with endlessly on a variety of topics, it's the main reason I come here.  However, in order to do that, the opposition has to provide something of value to the conversation, which you very rarely do.  You claim you want to provide something different than what you see as the most repeated opinions on JN.  But then how about you actually do that, rather than repeatedly making posts filled with nothing but extraordinary levels of nonsensical hyperbole of those very arguments you claim not to want to discuss, but cannot stop posting about over and over again whenever the opportunity presents itself to you.

This is an awful lot of whining that no one will ever read. I'm going to agree with JiF here. Ignore me. All you're doing is yet another bitch out, which is all anyone really sees from you anyway. Save it for people who give a sh*t, they're probably still out there. 

Ah. T0mShane read it. The people that agree with you agree with you! 

This is an awful lot of whining that no one will ever read. I'm going to agree with JiF here. Ignore me. All you're doing is yet another bitch out and lecture, which is all anyone really sees from you anyway. Save it for people who give a sh*t, they're probably still out there. 

He decides the rules here.  How youre allowed to debate.  What opinions are allowed.  If your obnoxious.  If you're trolling.  And if you're lucky, he lectures you about how great of a debater he is and how stupid you are and how your opinions have no merit and how his are perfectly formulated by an equation laid out by the great Tom Shane himself and if you go outside that equation of posting, then you're an idiot troll who knows nothing about Football or how to debate properly.

Archived